Type keyword(s) to search

S01 E06 : 493 Sq. Ft. Vermont Chalet

A Vermont family builds 493 sq. foot Tiny House in their driveway. But they need a home that will work for 3 adults--Mom, Dad, and college-aged daughter--and they're arguing over how to divvy up the bedroom space. So our hosts John and Zack have to figure out how to divide and conquer the space with an innovative closet design.

Rumor has it that Dad's a horder! All drama all the time, with less space!

--

Too much drama, not enough architecture. The only feature this week appears to be the folding wall. (Plus the constant of "let's build an incredibly uncomfortable-looking couch that's actually storage"). I felt so bad for the dad, because it was all disrespect, all the time. Mom usually gets her way, and the daughters talked about him like he was a child.

I don't think I'd want to rent a house in semi-rural Vermont where an entire other family is sitting 50 feet away. Surely there would be better options than that.

The artists's house visit was charming. My new rule for tiny living is all full size bathrooms all the time. I don't think her main room was particularly well organized though. She's an artist, so where are her work supplies? Where is a big table? Plus, using the daybed as a big uncomfortable-looking couch? Does not appeal. Still, thought her garden was gorgeous.

Edited by Snarkette
  • Love 1

This show should just focus on building the house and less on the family tossing out their stuff. We all know they're going to move into the little house regardless, so I don't care they do with their hoard. I thought the moving closet was a great idea. Once the daughter moves out, that house might be too big for them. At least they can continue using it as a guest bedroom. But do you have to walk through the daughter's room to get to the parents' room? Mornings must be so awkward for them. 

• Love 1

I think each bedroom had a door.  Not too impressed with this one.  Plus that couch...OUCH!  Horrible.  There was a weird vibe between M/W in this one, she being the stern mommy and he the eager child.  ugh.   Just like in his youth (if I caught his story correctly).  

• Love 1

I didn't lke mom either.
Why no loft?  And I didn't see a TV.

I really want them to do follow-ups in the dead of winter or other times when there are long spells of bad weather.

Just like so many, you see them outside a lot in the follow-up. 

And where's the shame if you need to rent a storage unit.  That never seems to be an option.

How about renting out the tiny house, until daughter moves out?

• Love 2

How about renting out the tiny house, until daughter moves out?

Thank you! Wait until the last bird flies the nest. I couldn't understand why they at least couldn't make the place a bit larger so the daughter could have more privacy. Doubt the parents need privacy for any boot knocking. ;-)

That dad... oof. "I blame my mom because once upon a time she threw out some of my shit and it hurt my little feelings, so now I MUST KEEP EVERYTHING FOREVER! Because, MOTHER!!!!!!" Dude, grow up already.

Why they didn't make the home a little larger: Because the premise of this here tee vee show (as I understand it, anyway) is "500 sq ft or smaller."

Why they didn't just stay in the big house and rent out the Tiny House: Because that wouldn't make for a good storyline for the show. They probably wouldn't have even gotten on the show if they had told the producers that the plan was to eventually move in, but rent it out in the meantime. I don't think they would have been interested in that kind of situation. A big part of the "plot" (as it were) is the owners themselves making the decision to, and then having to adjust to, living tiny.

Why don't folks rent a storage unit: Again, because that undermines a big part of the show's hook/premise... the adjustment. The lifestyle change. Depending on how an individual chooses to approach the show, it could be just about cute little houses that employ clever/interesting alternative construction techniques, uses of space, etc. And it's fine to approach it that way, of course. But I think the producers of the show are "True Believers" in the whole of the "Tiny House Movement" (Zack sure seems to be, at least) and all that "movement" entails. A big part of that seems to be downsizing, simplifying, living with less. I suspect that for the show, and for the movement, renting a storage unit would be regarded as something akin to "cheating." I suspect that Tiny House True Believers try to adhere to the principle that if you're gonna relegate it to a storage unit, you don't really need it in the first place. Because if you did, you'd find a way to keep it close to you, rather than having to make a special trip down to a storage unit whenever you do "need" whatever it might be. Fundamental to the lifestyle choice is making those hard decisions about what you do and don't truly need. A storage unit is probably seen (rightly, IMHO) as a cop out. If you're gonna do it, commit to it.

I do agree that sometimes the focus on that part of it can be a little overbearing, and not nearly as interesting as the house itself. But I just chalk that up to a bit of proselytizing on the part of the True Believers producing the show. And I'm fine with that, because I can appreciate the virtues of the movement.

• Love 1

This "true believers" mentality is what I dislike about this show.

There's a certainly self-righteousness in some of these people, as if they are superior because they're living with less, 21st century St Simeon Stylites.

• Love 1

Seems like the movement is asceticism with class markers. Less St Simeon Stylites and more Nordstroms. It's not enough to live simply. Members mimic poverty without actually embracing real poverty. So no RVs, no low-end finishes, no Walmart. Each of these homes picks up features from high-end homes and transports them into smaller mortgages and sustainable, local, food-truck versions of Whole Foods architecture. So in that sense, a storage unit betrays the vow of limited-space-poverty -- infringing on simplicity and minimalism.

• Love 5

Seems like the movement is asceticism with class markers. Less St Simeon Stylites and more Nordstroms. It's not enough to live simply. Members mimic poverty without actually embracing real poverty. So no RVs, no low-end finishes, no Walmart. Each of these homes picks up features from high-end homes and transports them into smaller mortgages and sustainable, local, food-truck versions of Whole Foods architecture. So in that sense, a storage unit betrays the vow of limited-space-poverty -- infringing on simplicity and minimalism.

Wonder how much that Vermont wood "barn door" cost?!

It's not enough to live simply. Members mimic poverty without actually embracing real poverty. So no RVs, no low-end finishes, no Walmart.

It's interesting because people could of course just buy a single-wide manufactured home and be done with it. Those are typically 900+ sf, but they can be had for as little as $28K new. Do we know how much these tinys cost?

What bothers me is that the builders don't do that much in the way of maximizing the available space. A few open cubbies for clothes, meh. RV manufacturers seem to be a lot cleverer about it.

• Love 3

Seems like the movement is asceticism with class markers. Less St Simeon Stylites and more Nordstroms.

Good point!  Slumming.

That's why in the episodes I've liked, the people had a need for a transportable space, usually for a limited time.

• Love 1

I don't think those who choose this lifestyle are necessarily "mimicking poverty." Some choose to live simply and less expensively so they can spend their money on other things, such as extensive travel, for instance. And yes, tiny homes probably appeal to those who wouldn't consider a trailer home or Walmart. I'm definitely one of those and I don't see anything wrong with those preferences.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 2

I don't think those who choose this lifestyle are necessarily "mimicking poverty." Some choose to live simply and less expensively so they can spend their money on other things, such as extensive travel, for instance. And yes, tiny homes probably appeal to those who wouldn't consider a trailer home or Walmart. I'm definitely one of those and I don't see anything wrong with those preferences.

I agree. It's a choice, and people who make that choice do so for their own particular set of reasons. Others are free of course to criticize the decision and/or the reasons for it, based on whatever grounds they choose, be it the existence of "more practical options" or perceived phoniness/self-superiority or whatever. I happen to disagree with those objections though.

Mileage obviously varies, as always, but I've never picked up on any kind of holier-than-thou attitude about any of it from anyone on the show, or the show itself, with regard to "the movement." I do think they're preaching/selling it, but I don't sense that the implication is "You should do this." but rather "If you want to do this, for whatever reasons, there are all kinds of awesome things about it. And if you've never considered it before, but find yourself intrigued, let us show you some awesome reasons why you might want to give it some serious thought."

Nor do I subscribe to the notion that if financial reasons are a motivating factor, that means they're somehow obligated to go full-on with it and move into a conventional "trailer" mobile home, or RV, or apartment, because that would be even more practical financially, or decline fancier/more-expensive furnishings for their tiny house for financial reasons that don't necessarily apply. Just because you'd like to reduce or eliminate your mortgage payment, that doesn't necessarily make you poor, nor are you obligated to live as if you were, nor is there necessarily anything phony or otherwise objectionable about what basically amounts to trading quantity for quality... fewer square feet and fewer things, but nicer square footage and nicer things. I don't see that as "mimicking poverty" but rather just a good job of prioritizing (for them, that is, based on their own personal priorities.) Respectfully, that particular objection kinda comes off as projecting, to me.

If you'll indulge me... about 10 years ago, I bought a 2300 sq ft house, a brand spankin' new "model home" in a nice little brand new subdivision in the burbs, mainly because I was taught that that's just what you do, it's just part of being a "grown up" (outside of NYC or some other dense urban area, that is.) Never mind that I was (and still am) single, and had no need for 3 bedrooms, a 2-car garage, etc. If nothing else, it was "an investment" and "better than renting" and all that stuff society pushes on you. And hey, I like my house just fine. But I've got two bedrooms, a full bathroom, a "great room" over the garage, and a yard that I never, ever use. The only times I even go in/out there... ever.. are to clean, and to mow the lawn. (Lesson learned, by the way. Just because nobody ever goes in there, doesn't mean it doesn't get dirty. Ugh.) I suppose the bedrooms are "useful" in that they store a bunch of shit that I also never use, and the only reason I don't get rid of the stuff is because it's not hurting anything sitting where it is. Out of sight, out of mind and all. Same goes for the garage, though that would be the hardest thing for me to give up, because being able to get to and from my car without weather being a factor...

Meantime, I've got a mortgage that, if current market conditions didn't pretty much prohibit it without taking a bath on the sale, I could easily reduce by at least half if not closer to two thirds by going Tiny. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were in a better position to do so. I'd never miss the space (including most of the yard) and I'd have no problem at all getting rid of two or three truckloads of extraneous stuff, and you better believe I'd spring for all the fancy fixtures, finishes and tech I could get my hands on. A wall of windows like in the first episode? Yes please! A shower stall like the one in this episode? Sign me up! And if there's some degree of "green" self-satisfaction I could get from it as well, and/or if it would allow me to engage in a little humble-braggery, well then all the better.

Obviously, like anything else, it's not for everybody. But I think the show is doing a great service for people like me, for whom such a lifestyle would be an absolutely great option, but if not for this show, might never have even known it was a thing. So I say preach on! One of these days, I'd love to join the choir.

• Love 4