Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Nothing To Fear But Fear Itself

• Start Topic

This was Mihni's challenge to lose, considering her backstory with her recently passed away husband. So I suspect when John was announced as the winner, the other John knew he was done. 

All three of the pieces were great, and I understood John's bottle idea well, complete with the black dusting on the good memories.

I wonder if it was just the angle (looking at it from behind) that 'hid' the heart aspect of the nest, because from the front the heart aspect was quite strong. 

I almost would have rather they had done what other shows do, and declare 1 winner and have the 2 runners up do a final face off to determine the final finalist. Because all three were quite strong. 

• Love 5

I would rather see both John's in the finale. While none of the pieces this week blew my away, Mihni's piece disappointed me the most (for the second week in a row). I would have no idea whatsoever what it was or what it was trying to say, and I did not find any part of it visually appealing. I wish the show didn't push the drama so hard, and just let these artists create.

Man, these fears were dark. And interestingly, John Moran, whose fear was seemingly less painful than the other two, had the most wrenchingly dark piece. I think he deserved the win; definitely not a piece that I would want in display in my house, but absolutely the most visually interesting and striking. I thought the heart aspect of the nest was clear too.

Also didn't understand the criticism of the broken bottles in Sharvin's piece. Three brothers, two of whom would be shattered if one of them were "shrouded" in death. Maybe a little on the nose, but effective and true to his statement. 

I can't imagine what Minhi is going through. I didn't find her piece all that successful at first glance, but the connection with her story and her continued beautiful use of color and layering is very powerful. 

• Love 1