Type keyword(s) to search

Gurren Lagann - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This week's episode is brought to you by Gainax; specializing in WTF mind-screws since 1984. Everyone gets to go to jail in a happy fantasy alternate reality. Simon gets to go on heists with Kamina, Viral has a happy family life even though he can't reproduce, Yoko is working as a bounty hunter, etc. Simon manages to break out...somehow. Spiral energy or some such. Ass-kicking follows.

I really liked that ep. For some reason, Viral's alternate reality touched me the most, maybe since it's closest to my ideals.

Also, great to have Kamina back. Was anyone else expecting him to klonk Simon on the head?

"Hey, how come you're taller than me anyway?"

I just spent most of the week going over the events of World War I and II and I didn't cry. Don't get me wrong, I alternate between being outraged, pissed, and depressed. But I didn't cry. I cried tonight about Nia, even though I think its total bullshit she died. I always pretend the series ends with Nia being welcomed home.

Edited by PrincessEnnui

All kinds of things happening here. Lord Genome gets a temporary body, and immediately sacrifices himself. Gurren Lagann absorbs the resulting energy and turns into Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, which is made entirely out of faces and is large enough to throw galaxies as shuriken . It then proceeds to do exactly that. The Anti-spirals never had a chance. Then everyone goes back to Earth. Nia marries Simon and then dissolves/dies, which is the Japanese version of a happy ending.

I cried tonight about Nia, even though I think its total bullshit she died. I always pretend the series ends with Nia being welcomed home.

Denial is what fan-art is for!
  • Love 1

Well, Nia's death was complete crap (she had no agency at all where the others did) and it kind of went against the theme of the show but overall the ending was pretty good otherwise.

I was so tortured over the never ending transforming and illogical battle survivals that I completely shut down during those segments; I could hear the door latches in my mind. I was ready about three episodes ago for an end to this. Instead of being poignant, Nia fizzing away was the alka-seltzer for my mecha heartburn. Anyway I felt that scene with Kamina and Yoko where she turned off the scene of her marriage with the other dude, was much more heartbreaking.

I wound up catching most of the episodes. It was an interesting series. I will confess, I don't remember that many of the characters' names beyond Kamina, Simon, Yoko, etc. It did make a good impression in my head for being over-the-top. And I didn't cry when Nia "died," though I can see how that can jerk a few tears. Simon knew it was going to happen . . . might've been nice if he told the friggin' wedding party about it beforehand. Oh, and how come the pig-mole thing de-evolved from the penultimate episode? It was kinda kinky to have the silent animal sidekick go humanoid for a few minutes.

Boota evolved in the hallucinatory fantasy jail, so it wouldn't stick. Just like Kamina being alive again (twice) didn't stick, or Viral being...uh...virile. I'm more concerned about the fact that he didn't grow up in the epilogue. Seems to me he should have gotten to the same size as the other pig rats from Simon and Kamina's village.