Type keyword(s) to search

American Gigolo - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I wasn't going to watch this series but got caught up in it enough to stick around for the finale.

My thoughts:

There could be at least 2 fewer episodes if most of the repetitive flashbacks were removed. I don't know how many times we had to watch Julian and Michelle with their magical time at the beach, but I'm afraid that I've seen it so often I won't be able to forget it, and it isn't that great a memory (or even one of my OWN memories).

Joan Sunday turned out to be a more interesting character than I expected. I sighed when Rosie showed up, but she seemed to make this dreary cop character somewhat humorous and a little touching.

Does anyone else suspect that Michelle's husband was behind the original murder? He certainly had the sketchy contacts and a guy like that might decide to remove the competition rather than let his wife leave him. I know Isabelle gave Julian some kind of drug, but was that at the victim's house? How long before the drug takes effect? Maybe Isabelle and Richard were in it together? 

I kept waiting for Isabelle to make Julian "pay" for getting the kid back. Pleasantly surprised when she didn't.

How long does Julian think he can keep being a gigolo? I hope he puts his money into safe investments, because it doesn't seem like that's a good long-term job and he's been out of circulation for a while. 

Will anyone ever find McGregor? Will Panusch (sp?) go to jail? Will Colin finally tell the cops what he knows? 

I hope that there's no second season. This one was enough for me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Oh man, I tried. I love Jon Bernthal - wasted talent for this show. I was both bored and confused. The ending came and I still don't have answers, nor did I enjoy the conclusion.

1. Why did Lisa Beck kill herself? Did i miss an answer to this? She was perfectly happy at that party and then just. . . what?

2. So Isabelle had Olga killed? Because???? And her caretaker too?

3. I'm confused how the two henchmen seemed to know each other/be related. One worked for Olga/Isabelle, one worked for the rich family.

4. Confused as to Isabelle's motive for getting the kid back. I thought for sure she was going to keep him to groom him to become the next Julian. It also seems strange to me that Julian never once supsected Isabelle of anything. 

Like I said, a waste of Jon Bernthal's talent, charm, and amazing hair. Even when he was on-call with a client, he got a sad and angsty client. Would've liked a few more scenes of him putting on the full-charm offense, showing how he can seduce women and make people feel comfortable.

Gretchen Mol is okay, but was not appealing here. I could not care less about the son. I was pleasantly surprised by Rosie's character and character development. At least she had a few funny lines to raise the viewer out of the drudgery.

16 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Does anyone else suspect that Michelle's husband was behind the original murder? He certainly had the sketchy contacts and a guy like that might decide to remove the competition rather than let his wife leave him. I know Isabelle gave Julian some kind of drug, but was that at the victim's house? How long before the drug takes effect? Maybe Isabelle and Richard were in it together? 

Yes, they even initially implied it with Michelel telling Julian "you have to go, he'll just do it again!" Do what? The husband ultimately ended up being clueless about everything. 

Edited by candle96
  • Love 3

There could be at least 2 fewer episodes if most of the repetitive flashbacks were removed.

Yes.  Once it was done, I turned to my husband and said the same thing.  

Honestly, what was the point of this show?  I really enjoyed the pilot so I stuck with it but in the end, I walked away not understanding anything, and not caring to understand either.

• Like 3
On 11/23/2022 at 1:36 PM, candle96 said:

Oh man, I tried. I love Jon Bernthal - wasted talent for this show. I was both bored and confused. The ending came and I still don't have answers, nor did I enjoy the conclusion.

1. Why did Lisa Beck kill herself? Did i miss an answer to this? She was perfectly happy at that party and then just. . . what?

I assume Lisa followed Julian into sex work and realized he was more a “boyfriend pimp” and wasn’t in love with her, or perhaps she was assaulted and realized the life isn’t all champagne and pool parties? Like you said, they could have cut out 90% of the flashbacks to give us Lisa and her sister’s story and it would have made for compelling tv. I shouldn’t have to write a better show in my head.😂

• Like 1
  • Applause 1