Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E17: Eric Holder; Michael Shellenberger; Douglas Murray

• Start Topic

This was actually a pretty decent panel, but it was very frustrating because Bill kept steering the conversation in the wrong direction. I was expecting a discussion about Uvalde but Bill wanted to make it all about the police. Now granted, that's an important part of the story, but as usual Bill wants to make a generalized case out of a single incident. It might have occurred to someone on that panel that the police in Uvalde might have been intimidated by the fact that they were out-gunned by the shooter. Or maybe they should have really pointed out that having armed guards and police at schools does not prevent school shootings despite what Republicans always propose when one of them happens. But no, Bill had to take it down to the lowest common denominator, which was, essentially, they were pussies.

I've also notice Bill keeps bringing up this incident in San Francisco where as shoplifter was recorded stealing while bystanders looked on and nobody called the police. I assume the reason he keeps going back to this is because he thinks it's endemic of liberalism because it took place in San Francisco. 

He also had to get a jab in there about lazy, entitled teens not wanting to take jobs at fast food restaurants. With ZERO evidence that's actually true. There's a hiring boom for teens this summer, the fact is that they don't necessarily have to take fast food jobs if they don't want to. That's the point. 

And it was actually a pretty good final New Rule . . . right up until the end when he had to make it about wokeism. Because, of course. As if Democrats are the party of identity politics. WTF, I've got whiplash. He had just shown a dozen clips of campaign ads with every candidate crowing about their conservative bonafides, but no - Democrats are the party of identity politics. Huh?

• Love 6
(edited)

Murray was less shrieky and partisan than I expected, so that was good.   Still, I think he comes from a place that he can't ever see the main threat against his idea of civilization as not coming from "the left".  There are criticisms to be made there.  But the right- actual, powerful political figures on the right- are increasingly opposed of the type of civilization he claims to cherish.  

The comparison between 2016 ('people didn't trust the election") and 2020 ("people also didn't trust the election") was ridiculous, though.  Again, there are many, MANY, things to criticize about the left, but in 2016 people complained about the election.  "Not my president", etc.  In 2020, right wingers tried to violently overthrow a democracy and got rewarded for it by right wing politicians.   

Edited by JNavarro
  • Love 7

Fentanyl test strips are opposed by red state politicians because they think it will encourage more fentanyl use.

No, a lot of fentanyl ODs are apparently Of people who didn’t know they were taking tHings laced with fentanyl so there’s a push to get test strips out there.

But the conservative mind thinks it would encourage more use.  They opposed things like clean needle distribution to reduce AIDS infections or encourAging condom use to prevent unplanned pregnancies.

I suspect most of his mocking of those posters as beIng THe Onion headlines were based on trying to reduce intravenous heroin use and overdoses.

Bill likes pot so he has to be hip with all kinds of drugs right?