Type keyword(s) to search

X-Files Episode Elimination Game

Both Samantha Mulder and Melissa Scully have left this mortal coil to a land of starlight and crystals, out with 5 votes each.  Well-Manicured Man did slightly better, but is still out with 3 votes.

Byers, John Fitzgerald

Deep Throat
Doggett, John
Frohike, Melvin
Krycek, Alex
Langly, Richard
Scully, Margaret
Skinner, Walter (Assistant Director)
Spender, CGB (Cigarette Smoking Man)

Vote for 3 again!  We're getting down the last few here... this is getting tough.

Edited by queequeg

Not surprisingly the Lone Gunman formerly known as "Ringo" Langly is out with 6 votes.  Another unanimous vote!   Deep Throat, John Doggett, and Alex Krycek were tied with 3 votes each.  When I looked at how they were ranked and averaged their rankings, Krycek and Doggett were the two to go.  Deep Throat is greatly outlasting his stint on the show!!

And then there were 6!  Vote for 3 again this round... the remaining 3 will go on to the final round!

Byers, John Fitzgerald
Deep Throat
Frohike, Melvin
Scully, Margaret

Byers...it was hard to choose between Byers and Frohike.  Ack!

Testify.  In the end though, I love Byers for himself and Frohike for his interactions with Mulder.  Subtle difference, but that's how I rationalize it to myself.

Testify.  In the end though, I love Byers for himself and Frohike for his interactions with Mulder.  Subtle difference, but that's how I rationalize it to myself.

I felt bad voting for Byers, because I love him as a character, he's adorable, and I totally had a little crush on him right after Krycek and Mulder.  But in the end I decided to keep Frohike in for the entertainment value.

I think Frohike is my favorite of the LGM partly because of how Tom Braidwood, the show's AD, came to play the role.  CC and crew were sitting around discussing the character types of the three geeks, and decided Frohike was a perverted little gnome of a man.  Braidwood walked by right then, and one of them said, "Like Braidwood."

Also because he dressed to the nines to bring flowers to a comatose Scully.

And because of "Do you recycle?"

• Love 2

That was part of why I picked him too. The other reason is that I while I like Byers, I just can't with the whole Suzanne Modeski thing. 

You know, I realized a day or so ago that we had forgotten Suzanne Modeski on this list... and then I was all... meh. 

tumblr_inline_namwtjVngf1qk4ga3.gif

• Love 1

So our three semi-finalists are Maggie Scully who is out with 6 votes, John F. Byers who is out with 5 votes, and Frohike with 4 votes.  So Deep Throat came close, but survived near elimination twice!  If only he had been so lucky in the show.  :)

Final Round!  Vote for your favorite!  The finalists are...

Deep Throat

Edited by queequeg

You know, I was thinking how great the top 10 even of this show are (based on this vote), and how many shows have such a great supporting cast, villains included?!  I can't even manage to truly dislike the villains in this show; they're some of my favorite characters. Maybe Chris Carter, for all of his issues with plot holes, inconsistencies, and bizarro decisions (William Van De Kamp anyone?), was just really damn good at casting the right people for the job. I'm sure the characters were well-written, but I have to think a huge part of it was what the actors brought to the parts.  I mean I screamed "Skinner!" at my TV when first watching IWTB, that's how excited I was to see him.  And I was indignant that they didn't give us Doggett and Reyes back in IWTB, and instead gave us some new crap agents I could not have cared less about.

• Love 1

Well, it seems everybody has voted that has been regularly voting so Imma gonna go ahead and declare our winner to be:  

WALTER SKINNER!!  aka the Skinman 

tumblr_mj3mubnQUO1qkysolo1_500.gif

Everyone's favorite big, beautiful, bald man.  :)

I'm also going to declare CSM our 2nd place finalist, and Deep Throat as 3rd, since that seemed to be the consensus there.  

Total rankings coming shortly!!

• Love 1

Final rankings for the Supporting Character Elimination Game:

1.    Assistant Director Walter “The Skinman” Skinner

2.    C.G.B. Spender (aka Cigarette Smoking Man/Cancerman)
3.    Deep Throat
4.    Melvin Frohike
5.    John Fitzgerald Byers
6.    Margaret “Maggie” Scully
7.    John Doggett
       Alex “Rat Boy” Krycek

9.    Richard “Ringo” Langly
10.  Well-Manicured Man
11.  Samantha Mulder
       Melissa Scully
13.  Albert Hosteen
       Teena Mulder
15.  Alien Bounty Hunter
       X
17.  Agent Pendrell
       Jeffrey Spender
19.  Monica Reyes
20.  Max Fenig
21.  Billy Miles
       Gibson Praise
       Capt. William Scully
24.  William “Bill” Mulder
25.  Cassandra Spender
26.  Diana Fowley
       Deputy Diretor Alvin Kersh
       Emily Sim
29.  Section Chief Scott Blevins
        Bill Scully, Jr.
31.   First Elder
32.   Knowle Rohrer
        Baby William Scully (Van de Kamp)
34.   Marita Covarrubias
35.   Assistant Director Brad Follmer

Edited by queequeg

Things I found interesting looking at the whole list:

• Doggett ranked so high, but Reyes not so much
  • Melissa and Samantha went out at the same time with the same # of votes.  Seems kinda fitting somehow.
  • Poor Baby William.  They either needed to never introduce him, or not mess that up so bad.  I still can't believe what they did to their poor little family.  :(

The sisters going out together stuck out to me, too.

I'd rank X and Pendrell higher, Krycek lower, and put baby William at the very bottom.

I never voted on Monica, and held off on Doggett until there weren't any characters I did know that I was willing to vote off at that point.  I like the idea of Scully having a woman to work with, but having never seen Monica all I know of her is whale songs, so ... not inspiring a lot of confidence there.

So, what's next?

• Love 1

I never got the chance to vote for Monica, either. I think she's fine, just underwhelming, and her reasoning during cases came off like they were just pulled out of her ass a lot of the times. With Mulder it was somehow believable when he did the same, not so much with Reyes. Though it didn't help that the cases were so WTF most of the time during her season. But I like Dogget a lot. Even so, when IWTB came around I had forgotten about them and it never even crossed my mind they would come back and when I (in anger) saw the movie it didn't either. I think Dogget especially grew on me a lot during rewatches post IWTB. Skinner appearing (seemingly out of the blue) really was a "Hell yes!"-moment.

• Love 1

I'm dying that the one thing you know of Monica is the whale songs.  lol   Here's an even better whale song gif than the one from the other day.  Bless the internet.

tumblr_mpg4d8QNG01rxfs8ro3_250.gif

She's not so bad.  She's a bit trippy and flaky at times, definitely the "believer" in the Doggett-Reyes duo.  But she's a genuinely nice person, very sweet, and it was nice to see Scully have a female coworker/friend? figure.  Monica has a very odd, intuitive, fluffy feelings, not so logical approach to solving stuff, though.  Like I'd say she is more out there than Mulder.  Not in that she bought into conspiracies or aliens necessarily, although she was open to just about anything, but I would argue Mulder puts more weight on facts and logic than Monica.  Like Monica truly seems to be a very weird fit for the FBI, in my opinion.  She is very bright and knowledgeable though, especially about the religious cults and ritualistic crime.

Bastet, you haven't seen any of the last two seasons?  Or was it just 9 you hadn't seen?  You could always selectively watch some of the less sucky ones.  There are some genuinely good episodes, even though I still don't love the overall direction the show took those last two seasons.

Even so, when IWTB came around I had forgotten about them and it never even crossed my mind they would come back and when I (in anger) saw the movie it didn't either.

I didn't expect them (Doggett and Reyes) to be in IWTB either.  I think the only reason I got annoyed that they weren't is because they introduced those two new dippy agents.  I would have been OK with just a Mulder and Scully movie (with of course a cameo by the Skinman!), but if you're going to throw other agents into the mix, then at least give us Doggett and Reyes back other than dude who's name I can't remember and really annoying Amanda Peet's character, whose name I also can't remember, yet I wanted to cheer when she feel down the elevator shaft.

• Love 1

People at the midnight showing I attended did cheer when Whitney fell down the elevator shaft.  It was wonderful.  We cheered for Skinner, too.  And Scully, when she first appeared.  But no one did (or, at least, didn't do it loudly or in numbers enough for me to hear it) when Mulder was first shown.  Maybe it was that awful beard.

Bastet, you haven't seen any of the last two seasons?

No, I quit watching some time in season seven; I can't remember what my last episode was.  I stopped loving the show in season five (and when I do a re-watch, I tend to stop after Detour and just watch selected episodes), but I still liked it for a while.  And then, not so much.

• Love 1

Monica has a very odd, intuitive, fluffy feelings, not so logical approach to solving stuff, though.  Like I'd say she is more out there than Mulder.  Not in that she bought into conspiracies or aliens necessarily, although she was open to just about anything, but I would argue Mulder puts more weight on facts and logic than Monica.

Yeah, that's really the only thing that actually bothered me about Monica.  Where Mulder was so earnest in his wacked out theories, Monica always seemed like she was just tossing the most bizarre things that came to her mind out there to see what might stick.

• Love 1

I voted for Reyes from very early on, but that's not because I have a problem with her.  I just never watched season 9 so I got very little exposure to her.  I did watch season 8, and while I didn't enjoy it I thought Doggett was a fine enough character.  Except for his accent.