Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01

• Start Topic

The rape accusation came after the story broke? I had a little trouble following the timelines — they don’t seem to be parallel because the weather and time of day change as they toggle between arcs.

So the barrister is a prosecutor. Guess James’ legal troubles are just beginning. I liked the effect of him being blown away/knocked off his feet when he got the news from the detectives.

Also liked the PM’s fix-it guy’s humor. “Yeah, yeah, yeah. You  had an affair and today is Tuesday and here’s what you need to do.”

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

The rape accusation came after the story broke? I had a little trouble following the timelines — they don’t seem to be parallel because the weather and time of day change as they toggle between arcs.

So the barrister is a prosecutor. Guess James’ legal troubles are just beginning. I liked the effect of him being blown away/knocked off his feet when he got the news from the detectives.

Also liked the PM’s fix-it guy’s humor. “Yeah, yeah, yeah. You  had an affair and today is Tuesday and here’s what you need to do.”

I thought the rape accusation was after the affair story broke.

Good point about timelines. I couldn't figure out how the prosecutor could be reviewing a case file when the police hadn't even interviewed the  suspect.

I didn't care for the blowback effect at the end. Too literal.

I've watched the first two episodes and the beginning of a third and am having trouble getting into this. 

• Love 2

I haven’t watched anything on Netflix in ages, but I guess with it being in the news so much this week in connection with the stock price drop, it was top of mind tonight.  I saw this in the top 10 so I clicked without knowing a thing about it, which I rarely ever do.   The whole time I was watching this episode, it was gnawing at me that this had an “artistic signature” in terms of style, writing, editing, something that I couldn’t place.  Of course when I saw the end credits and “David E. Kelley” as the EP, I was like, aha!  This definitely seems like it fits within his oeuvre.

James is such a piece of shit.  I was going to say “crap,” but he deserves the uncensored version.  It was an affair that went on for 5 months but meant nothing?  Please.

Since they didn’t show the woman with whom he had the affair at all, I assumed that she was going to turn up dead and there would be a mystery about whether he directly or indirectly caused it.  I am a little nonplussed with the rape allegation because I’m worried that this will turn into a story of “she seduced him and falsely cried rape,” which is an exhausting narrative that I’m not stoked to see dramatized.

I found the timeline toggle to be confusing, too.  I guess it was to leave a thread of uncertainty throughout the episode to make you wonder how this was going to end up in court, but it felt more like, “Michelle Dockery is in this, really, just hang in there!”

Minus 1 million points to the show for depicting vomit.  I hate it.  Shows, find another way to depict revulsion, trauma and shock.

Sienna Miller was good.  I couldn’t help but think about how she had to portray the publicly wronged woman here when she had to do that in real life after Jude Law cheated on her with his kids’ nanny.  Bet she had some stuff to draw on for this performance.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Like 1
  • Love 4