Type keyword(s) to search

Navalny - General Discussion

DanaK
  • Start Topic

Documentary about Russian dissident and fierce Putin critic Alexei Navalny, who was poisoned in 2020 by the nerve agent Novichok, probably by the Russians. It will premiere on CNN Sunday April 24, 8-10pm commercial-free. It will stream on CNN+ (HBO Max may play it later as both streamers hold the streaming rights per the original press release. The trailer is in the link below

https://deadline.com/video/navalny-documentary-trailer-premiere-date-cnn-vladimir-putin-critic/

What a fascinating and heartbreaking documentary.  I commend this man for his bravery, steadfastness and desire to help his country and his family for their unwavering support.  It just reinforces exactly how diabolical Putin is.  

The detailed plan for his poisoning was amazing to hear, especially from one of the participants.  I do fear that Putin has killed that particular individual in that he hasn't been seen in years.  

• Love 2

Finally caught this.

My takeway?   His wife is as tough as he is.   When he was poisoned she was standing in the hospital making demands for his safety and getting the word out.   When he was arrested, she was the one who said don't be afraid (even though you know inside she was terrified).   Now she has to carry the banner for him while he is locked up.   She seems to be doing a fine job.

The phone call blew my mind away.   They finally tricked someone into admitting it.

The courtroom where he was drawing hearts in the air for his wife was so touching.   You know unless something drastic happens they will never see each other again.

Watching this and realizing it all happened BEFORE the Ukraine invasion really gives you insight into Putin.   

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I'm halfway through this and it's pretty good. It does make me wonder what kind of leader Navalny would be and whether he supports true democracy. Maybe that's answered in the second half, but the fact that he's willing to ally with the nationalists in order beat Putin is concerning.

On 5/28/2022 at 11:07 AM, merylinkid said:

The phone call blew my mind away.   They finally tricked someone into admitting it.

His journalist friends were beside themselves with the amount of information the guy was revealing. Their expressions were hilarious. I just can’t believe how bold Navalny was to try that. It does seem the scientist guy was less on guard than the other two they called

• Like 1

Very powerful doc. Given how much Putin has further repressed free speech and protest since the invasion of Ukraine, I don’t think Navalny will win this one and Russians will keep being repressed until Putin leaves the scene

• Like 1

I watched this last night and was utterly captivated by it.  I usually have my phone in my hand while watching TV, but not this.  I'd recommend this to EVERYONE.  Powerful, informative, and dramatic.