Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Oh, you're the sun now? Giver of life?

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Joyce enjoys the spotlight as a guest on an iconic TV talk show while fighting against memories of her time in New York. Doug makes moves for Minx. Back home, Bambi and Richie discover Tina’s secret.

Thursday, April 7, 2022 on HBOMax.

They did a pretty good job casting the part of Dick Cavett. But I don't think he would ever have blind-sided Joyce like that with the surprise guest. This wasn't the Jerry Springer era of talk shows, by at least a decade. And as soon as I saw Hope Davis I knew there'd be trouble. I don't think she has ever played a nice person. This episode ended on such a sour note. Joyce is just way too emotionally invested in this magazine and refuses to acknowledge Doug's contribution to its success. And Doug doesn't help matters any either by stealing her thunder on the talk show. The two of them really are like oil and water.

• Love 2
On 4/8/2022 at 9:50 AM, iMonrey said:

They did a pretty good job casting the part of Dick Cavett. But I don't think he would ever have blind-sided Joyce like that with the surprise guest.

He didn't look that much, but he got the cadence and timing down really well. I also agree no way Cavett would pull that either. 

On 4/8/2022 at 9:50 AM, iMonrey said:

And Doug doesn't help matters any either by stealing her thunder on the talk show. The two of them really are like oil and water.

I don't necessarily think they're oil and water. Doug sells magazines and does it well. He's gambled on Joyce to the point of hiding 50 large from Tina. The first two issues were totally hers and they sold. They're both doing great. I don't think there's anything wrong with him going out to try to reel in some big fish from the magazine. They both got played by the stuffy lady. And Doug doesn't suffer from a lack of self-esteem. He was apologetic after but probably didn't need to say 'it's my ball'. 

GOAT in the 70s isn't what that means now. I don't know why they were calling the QB GOAT in that context. 

I liked the flashbacks. Those dudes on the commune were dumb and needed a smack. 

• Love 2