Type keyword(s) to search

Lucy and Desi - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Thanks for your review, chediavolo. I was thinking about watching it, but have hesitated...especially after the movie (w/Kidman). It just feels like we're experiencing a Luci/Desi overload in such a short period of time. Maybe when I'm bored and have nothing better to do I'll check it out. 

• Love 1

I watched it with my parents and I liked it. It had all the heart and spirit that Being the Ricardos lacked, especially at the end. Lucie Arnaz recounting Lucy’s final visit to a dying Desi, how the two of them laughed at the show reruns together was just 😭😭😭😭😭. And I don’t know that their last phone call before he went into a coma was on their anniversary!

@GHScorpiosRule if you haven’t seen it yet, watch it, I know you will love it!

• Love 1
(edited)
57 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I watched it with my parents and I liked it. It had all the heart and spirit that Being the Ricardos lacked, especially at the end. Lucie Arnaz recounting Lucy’s final visit to a dying Desi, how the two of them laughed at the show reruns together was just 😭😭😭😭😭. And I don’t know that their last phone call before he went into a coma was on their anniversary!

@GHScorpiosRule if you haven’t seen it yet, watch it, I know you will love it!

Except if you are a Lucy fan you already knew all this. Since Lucie Arnaz was involved & Amy Poehler made it, I was expecting a more intimate retrospective. 
The Nicole Kidman one was terrible.
There was one a few years ago, possibly Lucie was involved, that was very good. 
Lucy was an absent mother & very cold. The kids were raised by the nanny. Total professional & seemed to only show love for Ricky. I like to find out about the real people behind the facade. This was just another love fest. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Useful 2

I just watched this and I really enjoyed it.  Of course I knew much of the lore already, but it was fun watching the old clips of I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show and other gems from the past.  I loved seeing Carol Burnett and enjoyed the narrations poolside with Lucie with her personal insight and how she came to understand what went on during her childhood with the maturity of adulthood.  Desi's childhood in Cuba and the fact that he was really a refugee was interesting (they showed his Certificate if Naturalization from 1943 issued in San Bernardino County, California), as was the partnership of Lucy and Desi on and off screen.  I remember when he passed away in Del Mar, CA and three years later when Lucy passed away at 77.

• Love 2

Just watched this and it was wonderful! Amy Pohler did a really good job here. While I wanted to see Desi, Jr. also appear and not just Lucie, I can understand why. He pretty much disappeared years ago. Still, I loved hearing the snippets of his voice.

I loved hearing from the people that lived their lives. There were a few things I didn’t know, so the end was wonderful to learn. The exchange of I love you” between them before Desi passed.

And how hard they all worked and were so talented to get everything done in one take, since the way the show was filmed was so expensive.

And I LOVE that Ron Howard was one of the executive producers of this.

I really wish the idiots in charge would bring back I Love Lucy on my cable channels.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Just watched this and it was wonderful! Amy Pohler did a really good job here. While I wanted to see Desi, Jr. also appear and not just Lucie, I can understand why. He pretty much disappeared years ago. Still, I loved hearing the snippets of his voice.

I loved hearing from the people that lived their lives. There were a few things I didn’t know, so the end was wonderful to learn. The exchange of I love you” between them before Desi passed.

And how hard they all worked and were so talented to get everything done in one take, since the way the show was filmed was so expensive.

And I LOVE that Ron Howard was one of the executive producers of this.

I really wish the idiots in charge would bring back I Love Lucy on my cable channels.

Oh, he was?  I missed that little tidbit of information (tears falling from my eyes during the credits?).  Well then, huh.  Nuff said, right?  RH approved!!!

• Love 2

Definitely a rehash but better than that Nicole Kidman atrocity. I like how Lucie Arnaz told them not to take the “Ball was a feminist in charge of a major TV studio” angle. Because Ball didn’t consider herself a feminist, and she hated running the studio after Desi sold out. She delegated most of it to trusted advisors and sold it after a few years.

But I always like hearing that Lucy and Desi became close again after their wounds healed from the divorce. I always thought they had a ton of on-screen chemistry (not always true of real-life couples), so the divorce obviously shattered that illusion. But it makes it easier to watch the old show to know that the love was still there, and it wasn’t fake.

• Love 5