Type keyword(s) to search

Production News, Spoilers & Speculation: 60th Anniversary / Season 01 & 02 (Disney+/BBC)

DanaK
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

I expected them sooner, but at least there is more chance that they might be able to promote it if the strike ends by then.

Do we know when the episodes will be on Disney+? Same day or next?

Same day per the press releases, though Disney’s specifically says so

Disney press release http://www.thefutoncritic.com/video/2023/10/25/video-disneyplus-reveals-trailer-for-new-doctor-who-60th-anniversary-specials-starring-david-tennant-and-catherine-tate-666310/20231025disney02/

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
53 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Carmarthen. A small Welsh town, or a planet the Fifth Doctor visited? It has that sound about it.

I know this is meant as a joke, but honestly - why do so many people read Welsh names as fantastical? They pop up as 'fantasy' names in fiction often enough that it riles me, so forgive me for not being amused. Wales is a real country with a real history and a real language, which is not a toybox for fantasy writers to pull from. Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin) is a very real place, a market town west of Swansea, just off the end of the M4 motorway. There is nothing 'alien' about its name.

(Unless it's a planet founded by Welsh settlers, of course, named for the original Carmarthen. That would work!)

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Llywela said:

I know this is meant as a joke, but honestly - why do so many people read Welsh names as fantastical? They pop up as 'fantasy' names in fiction often enough that it riles me, so forgive me for not being amused. Wales is a real country with a real history and a real language, which is not a toybox for fantasy writers to pull from. Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin) is a very real place, a market town west of Swansea, just off the end of the M4 motorway. There is nothing 'alien' about its name.

(Unless it's a planet founded by Welsh settlers, of course, named for the original Carmarthen. That would work!)

I don't know. It's always been that way. It even pops up in King Arthur stories and Tolkien, so it's long established that Wales = magic.

15 minutes ago, Anduin said:

I don't know. It's always been that way. It even pops up in King Arthur stories and Tolkien, so it's long established that Wales = magic.

Welsh doesn't 'pop up' in Arthurian legend. Arthur is a Welsh legend, appropriated and distorted by the wider world but still Welsh at its core. And it doesn't pop up in Tolkien either, he invented a language of his own (he used Welsh and Finnish as templates, sure, but the language in his work is invented). And yes, I know a lot of fantasy writers like to use Welsh as a magical, mystical fantasy language, that's my entire point. It isn't. It is a real language spoken by real people, not a plaything for other peoples' fantasies. Just because a lot of people do it doesn't make it okay.

On topic: I am intrigued to see how all this new content turns out!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Davies says in an interview with SFX Magazine that he’s planning to stick around for a few seasons and he’s already planning the 3rd season now and there are plans for a 4th season. Also, the naming of the seasons going forward will be reset, with Ncuti’s first season being called Season 1, the 2nd Season 2 and so on

https://www.gamesradar.com/doctor-who-russell-t-davies-working-on-plans-two-more-seasons/

Edited by DanaK
19 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Also, the naming of the seasons going forward will be reset, with Ncuti’s first season being called Season 1, the 2nd Season 2 and so on

https://www.gamesradar.com/doctor-who-russell-t-davies-working-on-plans-two-more-seasons/

Oh, for heaven's sake, what's the point of that? This isn't the start of another new reboot, it's the continuation of an ongoing show. How many times are they going to start counting again from scratch? It's all the same show still. Gatwa's first season is Gatwa's first season but it is very much not season one of Doctor Who!

• Like 2
(edited)

It’s possible the site reporting the season relabeling may have misinterpreted what Davies said in SFX and he was just referring to what labeling they use internally. We’ll have to see

Cultbox reports on filming for Ncuti’s second season’s Christmas special and 2 new guest stars

https://cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/nicola-coughlan-and-joel-fry-film-doctor-who-in-cardiff

ETA: Excerpts from SFX have been posted online and it does say Davies is saying the labeling is being reset to Season 1 and knows it’s controversial

Edited by DanaK
22 minutes ago, DanaK said:

It’s possible the site reporting the season relabeling may have misinterpreted what Davies said in SFX and he was just referring to what labeling they use internally. We’ll have to see

Cultbox reports on filming for Ncuti’s second season’s Christmas special and 2 new guest stars

https://cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/nicola-coughlan-and-joel-fry-film-doctor-who-in-cardiff

Hang on, it says they're on St Mary Street? Today? That's less than a mile from where I'm sitting right now! I will go for a wander in that direction when I escape from work in an hour!

ETA - guys, guys, 'The Whoniverse' is up on iPlayer today, and it is glorious to see!

whoniverse1.jpg

whoniverse2.jpg

Edited by Llywela
2 hours ago, Llywela said:

Oh, for heaven's sake, what's the point of that? This isn't the start of another new reboot, it's the continuation of an ongoing show. How many times are they going to start counting again from scratch? It's all the same show still. Gatwa's first season is Gatwa's first season but it is very much not season one of Doctor Who!

Absolutely! I've stopped calling Eccleston's run season 27, partly because I lost count, but that doesn't mean it's time to mess about with a consistent and fuctional numbering scheme.

The lastest issue of Doctor Who Magazine is out and has great coverage on the first 2 60th specials as well as some other stuff. The next issue will be out December 7 and it looks like it will cover Ncuti's Christmas special and should cover the 3rd 60th special

For those who don't have Twitter, per TVZone UK, the BBC has confirmed the 60th Special #1 "The Star Beast" will air at 6:30pm GMT on Nov 25 on BBC One; Doctor Who Unleashed will follow on BBC Three at 7:30pm. There's no word yet on what time Disney+ will show the special internationally, but the assumption at the moment is that it will be at the same time as the UK

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DanaK said:

Nicola Coughlan has been announced as joining the show. She indicates in the video in the second link that she's a guest star in Ncuti's second season. She was seen filming for the 2024 Christmas special. so I presume the casting news is for that

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-features/get-a-first-look-at-nicola-coughlan-as-she-joins-doctor-who

That's great, I loved her in Derry Girls.

• Like 1

Ncuti will be on The Graham Norton Show on Friday December 15 on BBC One. BBC America has shifted the show to Tuesdays at 11pm ET starting in December so we Americans should see that particular episode maybe a week and a half or nearly 2 weeks later

Edited by DanaK

Per US media publication TVLine, Disney has apparently confirmed to them that The Star Beast will start streaming on Disney+ at 1:30pm Eastern Standard Time, meaning the US East Coast. In the comments section, a reporter for the site indicated that Disney confirmed the times to them yesterday

https://tvline.com/lists/tv-schedule-what-to-watch-doctor-who-david-tennant-returns-disney-plus/hannah-waddingham-home-for-christmas-apple-tv-plus/

On 10/24/2023 at 10:27 PM, DanaK said:

2 new writers announced as co-writers for an upcoming episode (it’s not clear if they are for Series 14 or 15)

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-features/writers-kate-herron-and-briony-redman-join-forces-for-doctor-who

YES!! I KNEW IT!!

When Kate Herron quit Loki, seemingly prematurely, I thought to myself “I wonder if she will pop up in Doctor Who?”

I had a very strong feeling Herron would have had much to talk about with RTD, given:

1) Herron, as a queer person, was responsible for proposing and pushing the queer content, such as it was in Loki, at a reluctant Disney management 

2) RTD specifically took aim at Disney for their cowardice in not going far enough with this. RTD has a professional lifetime of trying to push the queer envelope with network execs. 

3) Herron is a huge Doctor Who fan and has name checked it as an influence on her work. 

4) Everyone called Ep 3 of Loki S1, with a heavily British creative team, “like Doctor Who if it had a Disney budget”.

5) Wasn’t long after that that RTD started dropping excitable hints online and apparently talking to Disney. 

i am not familiar yet with Briony Redman! But I love how Doctor Who pulls in a diverse bunch of writers to suit its diverse genres and styles!

EDIT: Lol, should have read article properly, this is pretty much what happened apparently:

“I was a huge fan of Loki and reached out to Kate to say so - she then introduced me to Briony, and it was all systems go!”

Edited by Kite
  • Love 1

Doctor Who tweet on the Christmas Special

For those who can't see tweets, it says "This Christmas, the Doctor makes a new friend, faces goblins, and has a run-in with... Davina McCall? #DoctorWho returns on Christmas Day with THE CHURCH ON RUBY ROAD!" with pictures of The Doctor, Ruby, a goblin and Davina

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 2

Spoilers ahead

The full text of the tweet if you don't have Twitter:

Russell T. Davies in Doctor Who Magazine: "...there will be controversial events in [The Giggle]. If you watched the commentary on iPlayer, I unroll a whole new #DoctorWho mythology for you, based around the events taking place... The commentary will have information that will rock the world... it's a whole new way of of looking at the history of Doctor Who and I can't wait to see the reaction."

Sounds like he's either going for a major reset or something else, or he's doing his usual hyperbole and it won't be such a big thing

• Like 1