Type keyword(s) to search

Tomorrow's adventure: Spoiler and Speculation

• Start Topic

Boo. Don't tease us with 20000 Leagues and then not deliver. Who cares about Disney.

I guess I'd be a lil concerned on how they'd fit our trio into the story. 20000 Leagues is its own story with its own set of characters and trying to shove our trio into someone else's story might do more harm than good. I'd be worried that they'd all be battling for screentime.

Would still like to see a 20000 Leagues adaptation tho. If they wanna keep the Jules Verne universe connected they could always have the trio show up near the end after everything is all said and done with Captain Nemo, only to find out that they missed out on the adventure. Basically a fun lil cameo.

• Love 1
On 2/27/2022 at 3:53 PM, HoodlumSheep said:

Boo. Don't tease us with 20000 Leagues and then not deliver. Who cares about Disney.

The plot of "Five Weeks in a Balloon" is: "A scholar and explorer, Dr. Samuel Fergusson, accompanied by his manservant Joe and his friend professional hunter Richard "Dick" Kennedy, sets out to travel across the African continent — still not fully explored — with the help of a balloon filled with hydrogen."  We have Fogg and a manservant, and I'd think Fix might have done some hunting, and all three are already used to traveling by balloon...

• Love 1

They changed "80 Days" so much I could see them doing the same thing with "20,000 Leagues". Dump everyone except for Nemo and the ship, add our trio, shake well, there's season two😎

In the episode 8 thread, there's comments from the showrunner about staying away from 20,000 Leagues because Disney is doing a feature adaptation. So, we were saying what other Verne properties these three characters could fit.

I personally wouldn't want a 'contained' story because of Fix's development as a writer and getting out from under Fortescue's wing would be curtailed. Everyone around the world was following her column, and a series of them gallivanting across Africa draws my interest. 

Trapping them on a submarine really clips all their skills imo. We kind of had the 'bottle' episode of them together on the island, so I don't think there would be more to mine of that in an entire series. 

Of course, the submarine could surface at various ports around the world to solve that problem. I just see more latitude in the narrative if they're out in the world. With a vast setting like Africa, you have a lot of elements to mine - colonialism, racism, classism from a different pov than the first series.