Type keyword(s) to search

Jane and Maura: Titular Characters and Super Close Friends

Something's different about Maura/Sasha this season.  I know she's a very good actor and I've been surprised by either how they are writing her or how she is possibly not into the material.  Some of her smiles and laughs seem forced.  Maybe it's just me.  Jane/Angie is pretty much the same as usual.  I did notice Sasha acting, I don't know, just different, around Angela.  Again, I can't put my finger on it and I'm not trying to blame the actors, writers or anybody.  The dynamic between Maura and Jane has changed quite a bit to me.  It's like someone put a governor on the A/S natural chemistry.   The writers do appear to be throwing one subtext comment at the beginning of each episode then having them barely be on screen together the rest of the hour.  I wish they would just dispense with trying to appease that fandom (which I am a part of btw ) and have the two do more scenes together.

I'm starting to think that this might be the new Jan Nash formula.  The front end of this episode where Maura starts to talk about the camping trip they took and that Jane really hates camping, well, it was strange.  Why would Jane look like she was going to get caught having done something a little more than embarrasing.  Again, maybe it's just me.

It leaves a taste in my mouth when the only time Angie heavily promotes an episode when it's all about her. When it highlights Jane. The only time she did it this season was when it was their "Goodbye to Frost" episode and that mostly was about her too. 

I am starting to lose interest in the show this season because it is mainly about Jane. Jane's pregnancy and Angela's new take on life.Everything has to do with Jane. And next week, it is still about Jane. What do we get from Maura this season? Well, we saw Paddy for a very brief time. And i really don't care about him. I would rather see Hope. And yeah, the new normal boyfriend. One who is not a killer. And outside of that, her life revolves around Jane and Jane's baby.

I think Jan Nash forgot that it is called "Rizzoli & Isles." It's not Jane Rizzoli show.

Edited by IndependentMind
  • Love 2

I agree. I think the new show runner thinks this is the Rizzoli show. Maura has become someone else that spends their life obsessing over Jane. I have decided to walk away. I would rather go back to the books and at least get a good story.

Something's different about Maura/Sasha this season.  I know she's a very good actor and I've been surprised by either how they are writing her or how she is possibly not into the material.

I noticed it too, and I think it is because Maura is not really a focus anymore. She is a supporting character on the Jane Rizzoli show. Maura has almost no interaction outside of Jane, Jane's Mother, or Jane's partner, or Jane's brother at Jane's place of business.

Edited by FavFable

What is even more frustrating is that the intention from the very beginning was for Jane to not have the baby. So why go through 9 epsidoes only for her to lose it? So we can have more Jane Angst and Rizzoli dramas. 

I thought I was going to like Jan Nash but her gushing again and again over Angie Harmon and how amazing she is got me so irritated that anything Jane-centric I don't even want to watch, 

Now I know why Angie Harmon says this is her favorite season because it's got Jane Rizzoli written all over it.

When they interact, they still have chemistry especially when they are working to solve a case together.

I am wondering though why TNT have yet to renew it when they have renewed The Last Ship, Falling Skies and Major Crimes. The show is half way through the season and no announcement yet.

Chat about Jane and Maura here. This encompasses their interactions with each other and the overall direction of their character's stories.

Thanks maraleia!  I wanted to, at some point, bring up what I was feeling about Maura's seemingly changed position on the show, but I really didn't know where to put it when I was commenting on the front end of the episode.  I still think a lot of it could be "just me". Ha!

am wondering though why TNT have yet to renew it when they have renewed The Last Ship, Falling Skies and Major Crimes. The show is half way through the season and no announcement yet.

Oh, I think the only reason R&I would not be renewed, IM,  would be if Angie or Sasha wanted out.  The show is still very high in the ratings for TNT.

I'm really curious to why there are posts listed on episode 9 already.  Did I miss a week?  Sorry, not sure where to ask that question.  I try to stay unspoiled even though I pretty much know what happens in part of it.  I feel so confused! ;)

Having posted in there...we were discussing the 'next week on' and some tweets by Angie and Jan Nash (show runner).  I don't know how spoiler free you like to stay, so I won't say anything else. :)

I'm not one to see the 'ho-yay' anywhere, ever, but I don't begrudge those who do.  Having said that...I love the friendship between R & I.  They have a natural, supportive, healthy, real friendship.  It's not often you see two women get to be friends on television.  They are usually in a subordinate/supervisor role, or their stories run kind of parallel and they rarely interact, or they are outright antagonistic. 

Edited by anstar
It's not often you see two women get to be friends on television.  They are usually in a subordinate/supervisor role, or their stories run kind of parallel and they rarely interact, or they are outright antagonistic.

Or their "friendship" is actually some jealous, catty, competitive thing that seems to be some twisted fantasy of TV writers.  I love that Maura and Jane are real friends, who love, support and tease each other, who talk about things other than men, and who occasionally fall out but are committed to repairing the friendship because they value it and understand how important it is to both their lives.  Their friendship is why I put up with so much of this show being stupid.

• Love 1
I'm not one to see the 'ho-yay' anywhere, ever, but I don't begrudge those who do.

Just a quick note on this. The  actresses have both acknowledged that they do indeed put in "ho-yay" stuff on purpose. They included little things as a wink to the Rizzles fan base. So its not like people are seeing things that aren't really there.

So its not like people are seeing things that aren't really there.

Oh, I'm sorry.  I wasn't trying to imply that they were.  I never meant that it wasn't there, simply that I don't see it.  I have whatever would be the equivalent of a "tin ear" when it comes to seeing (or recognizing) things like that.  I guess I really pay no attention, because I was apparently the only person surprised to learn that Jim Parsons was gay.