Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Sistervention...

Trini
  • Start Topic

Angela holds a "sistervention" for Leah, whose marriage to Raymond is still on the rocks. Meanwhile, Teddy's birthday celebration includes trying to one-up Alex and keep Raymond at bay, and Nikki and Nate attempt to bond. Then, Tyrique's jealousy grows as Angela gets closer to Nate.

Airdate: Nov. 30, 2021

Throwback party! Can I be honest? I objectively appreciate the Harlem Renaissance as a cultural touchstone in our history.  However, I've never been a fan of flapper fashion.  In truth, I don't think the style is flattering to women - clothes, hair, or make-up. 

That said, Raymond wore the HAYEL out of his suit at the party.  Whoo chile.  I'm so glad that Leah skipped the interlude with Jack, and availed herself of her snack of a hubby.  She deserves!  

Alternatively, Tyrique seemed to be channeling The Mask ala Jim Carrey.  Perhaps he should have consulted with Raymond.  

I like that Angela is leaning in with her relationship to Leah.  I expected more antagonism, but it's nice to see them progress as sisters. I also appreciate the theme of strength vs vulnerability.  Just about everyone was struggling in one way or the other, and some handled it in a more healthy way than others.  Tyrique in particular needs help.  

• Love 2

I thought Leah had already taken control of Teddy's company? This show is so confusing sometimes.

How does Angela sleep in that gigantic wig? Or maybe there wasn't much sleeping going on since Tyrique stayed over again.

$2k a week on a personal trainer? Good work if you can get it, huh?

Jack was rather indiscreet, handing Leah his room key right out in public.

Annnnddd I could've done without Raymond's manspreading and the camera angle aimed right at his crotch.

Poor Nate has PTSD. That was scary to watch when he thought the cops were coming for him.

Okay, Tryique looked good in his zoot suit but that was a 1940s fashion, and a bit after the Harlem Renaissance.

So where was Aunt Pat?

Miss Jackie said, "You're not going slumming with (my daughter/niece/grandchild?) Sloane. Know your place, Mister Quincy."

Jack must've really wanted to get beat up by Raymond. What sane person would say to someone's face they'd like to screw their wife? (The actor's role on Power Book II has increased this season so maybe he's about to exit OKOP.)

Hmm, Nate's moving in. Bye, Tyrique! But watch Angela get with Nate and end up pregnant, and have to wonder which one is the father. Soap opera 101.

Have people given up on this show? Doesn't bode well for a second season.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

For me, I forgot to record this one and I'll watch it when I can, but it's a low priority. But the show didn't seem to have enough interest in the first place.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Okay, I actually think the show is improving, but it's too late for me to be invested in these characters. (So many characters!)

This is probably just me; but it's weird that there are episode titles and then different ones that are onscreen.

Loved this outfit on Angela: https://wornontv.net/258377/ - I'd like something similar for myself; but probably in different colors. Also liked Nikki's pattern top with matching skirt (culottes?).

Oh hey, the writers remembered the Duponts have a son! I was wondering when he'd get a storyline.

Well, I do like Angela and Leah supporting each other better than them fighting.

The 1920s party and costumes were pretty.

7 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

6 hours ago, Trini said:

For me, I forgot to record this one and I'll watch it when I can, but it's a low priority. But the show didn't seem to have enough interest in the first place.

2 hours ago, Trini said:

Okay, I actually think the show is improving, but it's too late for me to be invested in these characters. (So many characters!)

I'm still watching, but there are so many plots & people, that I don't even know what I'm watching at this point. The writers for this show really have never of the word restraint, they just keep throwing whatever they think of into the script.

• Love 2

I watch this on Hulu.  If I didn't receive the "new" episode in my Keep Watching feed, I'd forget to tune in. I wasn't interested in this show at all (Lee Daniels is usually a deterrent). Several episodes had aired before I started watching and so I binged a bit. A show like this might benefit from a streaming service that releases all episodes at once.  The pilot wasn't great, but I agree the show has improved. Still, I mostly watch for the pretty - the people, the fashion.  

I will give the showrunners credit - they subverted my expectations with Angela and Leah.  I expected more acrimony.   

On 12/5/2021 at 6:05 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

So where was Aunt Pat?

She departed 2 episodes ago (or was it the last episode?).  She left a note saying she was going back to Boston.  She seemingly got spooked when Tyrique was asking about his father's death, as she was the girlfriend of the man who was friends with him? I think? I could rewatch to verify, but eh. Close enough. That storyline has potential, but they've all but dropped it.  If it's coming up again, they don't have much time to explore it. 

23 hours ago, Trini said:

This is probably just me; but it's weird that there are episode titles and then different ones that are onscreen.

Can you elaborate on this? I haven't noticed it.

On 12/5/2021 at 6:05 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Jack must've really wanted to get beat up by Raymond. What sane person would say to someone's face they'd like to screw their wife? (The actor's role on Power Book II has increased this season so maybe he's about to exit OKOP.)

He's barely been on this show - I remember him in the pilot and then this episode.  Didn't realize he was on Power (a show I sporadically watch when I sign up for a free trial or get the Amazon special). 

I remember the Lauren actress from way back on Lincoln Heights, so it's a trip to watch her as yet another teenager.  An older one, but a teenager all the same. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ribboninthesky1 said:
On 12/5/2021 at 11:37 PM, Trini said:

Can you elaborate on this? I haven't noticed it.

For example; in listings, the title for this episode is "Sistervention...", but there's also a title card that is shown right after the opening credits, and that had "The Myth of the Strong Black Woman".

Most, if not all, of the episodes have done that.

• Love 1

Maybe the producer, showrunner, or whoever is trying to distinguish between the title given to the episode and the theme of the episode. The themes seem to be a little more literary while the titles are perhaps meant to be "catchy."

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Maybe the producer, showrunner, or whoever is trying to distinguish between the title given to the episode and the theme of the episode. The themes seem to be a little more literary while the titles are perhaps meant to be "catchy."

Yeah, I don't remember every alternate title, but they all have fit the theme or events of the episodes. It's not a big deal, but it's an interesting quirk.

16 hours ago, Trini said:

For example; in listings, the title for this episode is "Sistervention...", but there's also a title card that is shown right after the opening credits, and that had "The Myth of the Strong Black Woman".

Thanks, I hadn't noticed it at all! Now I'm also curious why the difference.  I usually skip past the opening credits, so that may be why I missed it.