Type keyword(s) to search

The Murders at Starved Rock

DanaK
  • Start Topic

“The Murders at Starved Rock” is a three-part documentary series that will air December 14th and 15th. The series will explore the 1960 brutal murders of three women in Starved Rock State Park in La Salle County, Illinois, and the decades of questions and doubts that have haunted the son of the prosecutor in the case, as the man found guilty seeks to clear his name after sixty years in prison.

The man trying to clear his name is 82-year-old Chester Weger who was paroled last year. The son of the prosecutor featured in the documentary is professional photographer David Raccuglia. His father Tony Raccuglia was the last living attorney that prosecuted Chester Weger and would oppose his release from prison each time it came up for a vote with the parole board.

Parts 1 and 2 will premiere on Tuesday, Dec 14, 8-10pm ET. Part 3 will premiere on Wednesday, Dec 15, 8-9pm ET. The episodes will also be available on HBO Max

• Love 1

Has anyone watched this? I have about half an hour left of the last episode, but this crime has always fascinated me once I became aware of it. (I wasn’t born until 15 years after it happened). However, I’m from Illinois and I’ve been to that exact spot in Starved Rock multiple times, and I stayed at that same lodge in the park once.

Coincidently, I’m also an appellate criminal defense attorney, so I’m very curious what others think about whether Chester committed the murders. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, SimonSeymour said:

Has anyone watched this? I have about half an hour left of the last episode, but this crime has always fascinated me once I became aware of it. (I wasn’t born until 15 years after it happened). However, I’m from Illinois and I’ve been to that exact spot in Starved Rock multiple times, and I stayed at that same lodge in the park once.

Coincidently, I’m also an appellate criminal defense attorney, so I’m very curious what others think about whether Chester committed the murders. 

I grew up in this area of Illinois so I’ve known about it my whole life. David Raccuglia did a great job with this documentary. My opinion after watching this is that Chester had something to do with the murders, or knew who did. But  I think  he was involved with his friend, Stanley or George Spiros. 
I hope more people comment on this, I’d also like to know their opinions and yours. 

• Love 1

I'd only vaguely heard of the Starved Rock Murders over the years but I'm another Illinoisian so this had my attention.  I don't necessarily think Chester did the actual murders but I think he knew who did, and may have helped clean up after in some way and was threatened.   I'm very very interested in what the DNA will say.  Well done series.

• Love 1

Been to Starved Rock many times and didn't know about this at all.  I waver back and forth on Chester's guilt, but  I think he knew more about what happened than he let on. I also don't think he is a good person. Something about him just seems evil to me, especially after hearing about him raping the family friend when he was 12.  

I hope that the DNA testing helps answer some questions.

Edited by KLJ
  • Love 2

Another fellow Illinoisan here and had never heard of the murders before this, although I've been to Starved Rock a couple of times and even to that spot. I don't think that Chester actually committed the murders. However, I think he knew who did and I think he had a hand in covering it up. Whether he was present or not at the time of the murders, I'm not sure about either. I'll be very interested to see what the DNA results show. I agree with David Raccuglia that I think we're past the point of Chester being able to provide any meaningful input. Between his advanced age and whatever stories he's spun over the past 60 years, I'd be surprised if he even remembers the details anymore.

• Love 1