Type keyword(s) to search

S2.E09: Marcus Watkins

• Start Topic

I was shocked by how invested I was when Mia called and I was afraid Marcus was going to let it go to voicemail. I was a little disappointed that although Mia confessed about taskrabbit guy and explained her mother was bipolar she didn't get into her feelings about her father which had been such a feature of her visit. 

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I was shocked by how invested I was when Mia called and I was afraid Marcus was going to let it go to voicemail. I was a little disappointed that although Mia confessed about taskrabbit guy and explained her mother was bipolar she didn't get into her feelings about her father which had been such a feature of her visit. 

Yeah, it was such a tiny explanation for what really was going on.  Mia's really messed up and treated Marcus really badly because of it.  

• Love 2

The covid part hit me right in the feels. I was let go days after George Floyd's death. Being the only Black person in a 90 person startup made it particularly frustrating that they ran their public statements by me as well... to show they were woke. I would have quit the day they let me go. Then, I went on to publish two books while in between permanent jobs.

Getting mad at someone for going to yoga is PEAK May 2020! Whew chile! I literally ended a friendship because she went to spin class right before entering my home. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I just realized Marcus got some pandemic takeout at the same restaurant where Mia dumped him after the birthday party. Sure, the place probably makes good food and it was a year or two in Marcus' past, but if it were me wild horses couldn't drag me back to a place with that kind of personal history.

• Useful 1
(edited)

I loved this episode. It's mad how recent all the Covid behaviour is and yet I needed to be reminded that like, if someone gave you a gift of wine you had to wipe down the bottle with antibac wipes (we did this), you didn't hug even if you were in someone's place, and you had to wear a mask to a wedding. All that stuff in the episode was so relatable and I particularly like that Marcus is really careful about adhering to the rules. I also liked that the show covered George Floyd's murder.

Marcus's "Fuck you, I quit" speech was unexpected and cathartic.

I love that Marcus has the guts to give Mia another chance and to admit that he loves her. BUT. I thought it was really shitty of Mia to make that brutal break-up even worse in retrospect, on the first phone call since shutting him out for... what? A year? Imagine you're finally over the heartbreak and then your ex calls out of the blue to tell you "Surprise! I also cheated on you with the Taskrabbit!" when you didn't think the break-up could be any more painful. It was selfish of Mia to lay that on Marcus.

Edited by Kirsty