Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E15: Run Silent, Run Deep

• Start Topic

Skirting the ice line to the deepest set of their careers, Josh and Casey apply frontier medicine to a bleeding deck boss. A block wound sidelines Wild Bill's new rail man, while injuries on the Time Bandit take out two crewmen and threaten family bonds.

Jonathan is supposed to be the sensitive one.   But damn, his NEPHEW is hurt.   He needs REST, not being tossed around the Bering Sea in winter.   Not working, because of COURSE Jonathan will tell him to tough it out and do something.   And what does Jonathan consider wanting to take care of a real medical condition?   Quitting.   He literally told his own nephew that if he prioritized his HEALTH over working on the family boat, he would never be hired again.   Don't blame the kid for going "yeah I wasn't coming back anyway if this is the way things are."   

Hey Jonathan, you stepped away for FIVE years because of your back.   Why can't your nephew take a season off to let his shoulder heal without being considered a quitter?    Remember this Jonathan, crab come and go, family is forever.   

• Love 1
On 8/4/2021 at 6:52 AM, merylinkid said:

Jonathan is supposed to be the sensitive one.   But damn, his NEPHEW is hurt.   He needs REST, not being tossed around the Bering Sea in winter.   Not working, because of COURSE Jonathan will tell him to tough it out and do something.   And what does Jonathan consider wanting to take care of a real medical condition?   Quitting.   He literally told his own nephew that if he prioritized his HEALTH over working on the family boat, he would never be hired again.   Don't blame the kid for going "yeah I wasn't coming back anyway if this is the way things are."   

Hey Jonathan, you stepped away for FIVE years because of your back.   Why can't your nephew take a season off to let his shoulder heal without being considered a quitter?    Remember this Jonathan, crab come and go, family is forever.   

I totally agree, what asses the Hillstrands are, I've never liked them & have always wondered what the fans who clamored for Disco to bring the Time Bandit back ever saw in them...They've always had this stupid ass saying 'you're either on the boat or off the boat' but oh hold up, that don't apply to Andy, John or Neal apparently, they get to kick back in Homer during the summer & count all their money while Eddie Sr. & the other guys are away from THEIR families running the boat for tendering (and they never have shown much appreciation for it either)...If I were someone looking to get into crab fishing, the TB is the last boat I'd ever set foot on 

• Love 2

Crabbing is not for everyone.  The nephew knew his limitation.  Jonathan saw it and he released him.  Since he was family, it was entirely appropriate to let him know that he would not be welcome back, family or not.  No ambiguity is a good thing in matters like this, imo.

I did not understand how various boats were claiming 500+ pots when the video had pots that weren't even a third full.  There were a good number of super full pots shown and those were said to have the same 500+ number of crab.  

Bill's time-honored mad methods worked yet again.  Human nature just doesn't change.

I felt for Casey as the high seas obscured his deep string.  Why didn't we get a scene where he called off the efforts until things calmed?  How long did he actually wait?  There was no real payoff on a very interesting situation.  Ugh.  

53 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I did not understand how various boats were claiming 500+ pots when the video had pots that weren't even a third full.  There were a good number of super full pots shown and those were said to have the same 500+ number of crab.  

We noticed that, too.  I think it was Wild Bill who had a couple of pots that looked pretty good, but the count was 97 on one and 100 on the next.  Then they cut to one of the other boats.  There weren't many more crabs in those pots, but they were getting counts of 300+.  

I also noticed that the CM went from pulling a pot in the dark to still pulling that same pot (afterwards) in daylight AND at dusk.  I'm beginning to think that the production staff on DC thinks we're stupid.  I understand that editing occurs, but it's insulting to have them not even try to make things look like they happened in the right sequence.

• Love 3
On 8/6/2021 at 5:05 PM, AZChristian said:

I'm beginning to think that the production staff on DC thinks we're stupid.  I understand that editing occurs, but it's insulting to have them not even try to make things look like they happened in the right sequence.

I've been marathoning all day, and this drove me nuts!  One ship is COVERED in ice and in danger of capsizing, and two minutes later, another boat is clean as a whistle, sailing smoothly along (but complaining about the ice.)   I've watched for a long time, but have  missed the last several seasons.  Every episode is the same, and I'm not sure what is different about each season.

We used to think the Time Bandit would be the most fun to be on, but not any more.  I thought  maybe Jonathan was offering the kid a chance to just stay on the boat for the comraderie, rather than to work. But when he said, "Or do you want to quit?" it pretty much sounds like he expected him to work injured.  (And I don't know why Josh H complains about being short handed.  He can't deign to go down and haul pots in a pinch?)

• Love 3