Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: Dig

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Walker and Micki investigate a bomb threat at the school that targeted Liam and Stan. Abeline and Bonham plan a vow renewal. Trey's mother comes for a visit.

Airdate: 07/22/2021

(edited)
On 7/17/2021 at 9:31 PM, jewel21 said:

Airdate: 07/22/2021

Again the writers keep saying Cordell is a rule breaker, but we’ve seen nothing with him breaking any major rules!

Stan was a dirty businessman, since he’s co-chair of public and safety department?? he apparently was giving money to west side nation to killed Emily??? and he had all the nations’ cases dropped, I mean I figured Stan would be the bad guy, but there was still ZERO build up for his character.

That slow-mo truck flip crash was well done.

I also liked the sibling bonding moment between Auggie and Stella, great shot above them. 

I liked the conversation between Cordell and Micki. 

It’s also good that they are showing Cordell and Micki using de-escalation techniques.   

Bonham, Abilene, Trey and Micki still remain my favorites, their arcs are good and Trey’s mom was also adorable. Also Auggie was so mature and smart when it came to Ruby, so neither of the kids were annoying the last episode or this episode.

Jared got to put his gun and grave digging skills to good use again.

All and all the writing for this episode well this whole season is meh, but Richard Speight Jr did a great job directing.

Edited by Coleyb
  • Love 4

Hey, we officially got a Supernatural reunion here with Richard Speight Jr. directing this one!  He just did an episode of Kung Fu too, so I'm glad his directing career seems to be expanding.  Speaking of Supernatural, yeah, when Walker was digging that grave, I could just picture Jared saying "Where's the salt?  We usually have salt for these things?!"

So.... Stan was somehow behind Emily's death, too?  Apparently he was working with this west side nation group, but I couldn't tell if he actually put the hit out on Emily, or if that was all them and he was simply in too deep to do anything.  Then again, despite Jeffrey Nordling's talents, I never really got a good read on the character, so this whole "He was important to the family!" thing doesn't quite have the impact it needed.  I'm sure Walker won't go through with killing him, but I'm indifferent either way.

Kept getting distracted by all the Becca Ferguson/Walker's former girlfriend quips and references, because it just made me think of the actress, Rebecca Ferguson (who is awesome, by the way!)

August gets invited to Ruby's place (when her parents are away), but knowing that she is moving away for good, he refuses to take it to the next level because he doesn't want their relationship to just be a fling.  But with her going away for good, I'm wondering if this means Auggie/Isabel will eventually be back on the table?

Looks like a possible conflict for Trey and Micki is in store for the future, as it sounds like Trey is thinking about the possibility of kids, while Micki is still hesitant: especially she still worries if she can have a balanced life in her line of work.  Hope they can figure it out!

Hello again, Geri!

Hopefully Bonham tells the rest of the family soon, instead of it coming to ahead at the worst possible moment (which is usually how these things go in television land!)

• Love 2

I'm glad this show is doing well, even if I am not too worried about it staying around either way, as the CW keeps pretty much every show they make on for at least a few seasons, if not way more. Its not perfect, but I like it quite a lot. I am really invested in the main characters so I am willing to overlook some of the plot holes, the more meh writing of some of the reoccurring characters, and the cases of the week being very hit or miss. 

Richard Speight Jr. seems to be showing up all over the place behind the camera! He did a good job here, we had a lot of nice shots and lighting, the slow motion car crash especially looked great. So of course it turns out that the conspiracy to kill Emily and/or cover up her death is just getting bigger and bigger, now with Stan being involved in it. He probably didn't actually have anything to do with her actual death, probably "just" the cover up, but that hardly makes much difference, especially to Walker. The poor guy is trying so hard to let go of his anger and tendencies towards going off book, but the show keeps putting him in these awful situations that exist just to push his buttons. I don't really know much about Stan, he has always felt like a bit of a prick to me, but he is apparently friends with Walker, which just makes this suck even more. Its like every damn person in his life is lying to him at best and at worst is into seriously sketchy stuff, so wonder he's so on edge. 

At least he and Micki were able to use deescalating techniques on the guy who called in the bomb threat, and I am glad that he was just some guy who was probably more sick than dangerous, it didn't turn into a whole other thing and Walker got to end a situation peacefully by the book. he and Micki had some great banter, I enjoyed her giving him some crap about his high school pictures and then Walker giving her some crap about forgetting to take her birth control. I actually think this show does a pretty good job at dealing with issues surrounding violence and the police, at least better than a lot of shows handle the issue. It all feels very organic to the show and the characters, unlike a lot of shows that kind of awkwardly shoehorn in a lot of clumsy speeches that sound like they were taken straight from an article one of the writers just saw on Twitter, or go the other way and deny that its an issue at all in a way that trivializes serious problems. 

I hope that Micki and Trey don't hit a rough patch when it comes to having a kid. It seems like Trey is about ready while Micki needs a bit more time. They better not split up, they're too good a couple!

Damn it Bonham, have secrets ever been a good thing in your family? Ever? 

I laughed at someone writing in Stella's yearbook that her dad was hot, to her disgust. I'm sure its not the first time someone has commented on what a DILF her dad is. 

• Love 4