Type keyword(s) to search

100 Foot Wave

• Start Topic

The six-part series intimately captures the decade-long odyssey of surfing pioneer Garrett McNamara, who, after visiting Nazaré, Portugal in hopes of conquering a 100 foot wave, pushed the sport to ever-greater heights and alongside locals helped transform the small fishing village into the world’s pre-eminent big-wave surfing destination.

Premieres July 18 on HBO.

Only seen parts of it.  The first episode they had old film and the visuals weren't that captivating.

But I saw a later episode, filmed more recently for the series and it fills the screen in HD.

These huge, cliff-like waves bearing down on surfer is visually arresting.

I Googled Nazare Portugal and some of the images are stunning, you have that viewing platform on top of a cliff and it looks like waves are about to crash down upon it.

But that viewing platform is like 30-40 feet or more above the beach or sea level so it's probably an optical illusion.

I watched all the eps of this and while some of it was repetitive I was mesmerized by the visuals of the massive waves and intrigued by these people who pursue them. Felt so bad for Cotty there at the end and had a panicked moment about how it would end for Garrett. I don't think it needed to be 6 episodes long, but as with most HBO docs I found enough of it fascinating to stick with it for all six.

• Love 2