Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Small Plate, Big Money

Wow, that guy needs to stop listening to his wife. He should have developed HIS menu and kept her out front away from the kitchen. Then again, she sucked at handling the front of house duties. Better yet, let her keep her day job and stay totally out of it. I loved when Joe told her that they were only interested in him.

I knew he got fired before he told them. I'd love to know why. The only thing she did that I agreed with was getting rid of that gawdawful furniture he picked out. But of course she had to keep reminding him that the bad furniture put them over budget.

I hope his place does well. And that he keeps his wife out of it.

• Love 1

Total agreement, Cooks.  She needs to go back to HER job and just be the silent partner.

I'm not a huge fan of pate's, confits and anything with livers, but it was clear keeping the menu items theme consistent was key.  However, since charcuterie & the like is essentially a French thing, I'm not sure how the British "pub" theme fits, despite him being a Brit.  Of course every culture has it's preserved and dried food items, but with the exception of the glaring misfits like scallops and fish & chips, it was all classic French Bistro stuff. 

Oh well, as long as Tim & Joe are happy!

The dumpling idea was too similar to the cone idea for them to give it another try so soon. Put standard American food in a new wrapper. Except this idea could actually work, where the cones were a messy gimmick.

I know that you can't believe what you see on these shows, especially in regards to drama, but I couldn't help but notice that when the guy effed up about the furniture and then causing them to go "over budget" his wife couldn't stop laying into him. When she screwed up working the floor he was nothing but supportive - saying she was doing great, it's her first time. And then again, when Joe and Tim brought up the safe menu he did everything he could to avoid saying, "I didn't do it my way because I listened to my wife." (And honestly, I'm sure J+T knew that already.)

Speaking of the budget, they need to rework that part of the show. In the real world, they wouldn't order all this crap without knowing how much it would cost upfront. The whole, "we spent all this money on food for you, which came up to $X, you're overbudget," that made me roll my eyes. And selling the pig to a friend makes up for the budget woes? Why not grab $300 of your own money?

The deal he accepted seemed awful for him, but he was so eager to run his own restaurant that he would have accepted anything they put in front of him. He seemed genuinely nice and good at what he does, I hope he does well.

• Love 2

The deal he accepted seemed awful for him, but he was so eager to run his own restaurant that he would have accepted anything they put in front of him.

I think he just wants to get away from Attila the Hun. She was a beast. I hope he grows a pair and keeps her totally out of it.

• Love 1