Type keyword(s) to search

We Are Lady Parts - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I had fun with the second season, but also agree the first one was better. Could've done without the Billy character altogether and would much rather have just watched Amina navigating a new relationship with Ahsan. Also was disappointed we got less Saira when she was the most interesting character in season one, imo.

I did love the resolution to the band's struggle between commercial success and artistic integrity. Really hoping we get a season three, but if not, I'm satisfied with things wrapping up the way they did.

• Like 2

Binged both seasons over the last week.

Really enjoyed it.

In a way , the conflicts they had when faced with record label interference, trying to make their songs more produced and Saira wanting to insert some political songs is kind of about the series as a whole.

Was this going to be some raw, unapologetic show about forwarding Muslim politics?  I suspect if it was, the show would probably have struggled to be released in the first place.

So there's a lot of humor and heart and even Saira and Ayesha aren't always angry or intense.

And a lot of fun, especially with their covers of some hits, which many punks might not be caught covering, let alone liking.  For instance, I don't know Britney Spears music or even knew what that hit song was about but that rocking cover was great!

The show is more approachable by non Muslims and people who aren't necessarily fans of punk either.  It's more in the vein of Bend it like Beckham.

Nida Manzoor the show runner has a number of other credits, so it seems like she had some savvy about how to position this show.

So the cast can sing and some of them can actually play, a little at least?

I wonder if some of the music they feature, talking mainly about the covers, were chosen because the show runners and the cast liked them or it's them being ironic or maybe they thought it would be more accessible for viewers with familiar songs.

Do they have to pay a lot of money to clear the songs covered by the characters?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I liked getting to see more from all the characters in season 2, but one issue I had was that their storylines felt so siloed from one another. In most episodes, it was like, "Now let's check in on Bisma's story with her identity and her family, now let's check in on Ayesha's storyline with Laura and her feelings about coming out, now let's check in on Amina's storyline with Billy and Ahsan." I'd have liked to see them in one another's plots more. Maybe they could've spread it out more so that they were supporting a just few characters' plots in each episode instead of needing to advance a snippet of everyone's individual storyline every time. Like, this episode is mainly Amina and Ayesha's stories, this one is mainly Saira and Taz, etc.

I still loved it, though. I love all these characters! This season had so many great songs, and I liked the different themes we explored here.

• Like 3

One thing that I felt was missing this season (understandable given that they covered so much) was an exploration of the socioeconomic differences among the women.  Everyone except Bisma and Saira lives at home with their parents/grandparents, but only Amina has a post-secondary degree.  I'm not sure any of the others finished university, but outside of Lady Parts, all but Amina and maybe Momtaz have dead-end jobs or no job.  

It's never discussed in the series whether Amina had to take leave from work to record the album, or how she balances her work schedule with her band schedule.  At some point, one would think they'd come into direct conflict, and Amina would have to figure out which one she wants more.  And how would her bandmates react when she sometimes chose to put work first?

• Like 4