Type keyword(s) to search

Clash of the Titans (1981): Let loose the kraken!

• Start Topic

(edited)

This turns 40 this month. Tell me I’m not the only one with a soft spot for it! It has everything: Maggie Smith and Laurence Olivier, gorgons, flying horses, Harry Hamlin’s hair, Burgess Meredith, giant scorpions, robot owls, whatever the hell Kalibos was…

Sure, it was cheesy and so were the claymation special effects (made by the great Harryhousen), but it’s a classic! One of the few great Hollywood adaptations of Greek mythology to date.

No mention of the crappy soulless remake here (though you can’t hate “Liam Neeson’s “Release the kraken”).

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5
36 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

No mention of the crappy soulless remake here (though you can’t hate “Liam Neeson’s “Release the kraken”).

I'm actually glad that they remade the movie. But only because they released the original on Blu Ray to get people excited over the remake, the remake itself was hot garbage. (This is also why I liked the remake of Robocop despite never watching it).

I grew up with Clash of the Titans and love the movie. CGI is better in most ways, but there's something about stop motion that I just love.

• Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

This turns 40 this month. Tell me I’m not the only one with a soft spot for it! It has everything: Maggie Smith and Laurence Olivier, gorgons, flying horses, Harry Hamlin’s hair, Burgess Meredith, giant scorpions, robot owls, whatever the hell Kalibos was…

Sure, it was cheesy and so were the claymation special effects (made by the great Harryhousen), but it’s a classic! One of the few great Hollywood adaptations of Greek mythology to date.

I would never disrespect the work of the late, great Ray Harryhausen.  Happy 40th anniversary OG Clash of the Titans.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

I would never disrespect the work of the late, great Ray Harryhausen.  Happy 40th anniversary OG Clash of the Titans.  

Oh, no disrespect was meant! 

I too love Bubo the owl, though the real Bubo that Athens refused to part with was even more adorable. 

Even though Andromeda wasn’t a huge part of the movie, she did have some good moments other than being the damsel. Like when Perseus tells her that the journey is “too perilous for a princess” her response is awesome: “You are not my lord and husband, not yet. In the absence of the Queen, it is who command.” And she’s the first of the group to ride off. Also appreciate how resolved and dignified she was when being prepared for the sacrifice.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Can't believe it's 40 already. I love this movie, I wanted a Robot Owl as a kid. This movie actually got me interested in Greek Mythology. I don't know if it holds up, I haven't seen it in many, many years. However, I do judge a lot of greek mythology related movies against it..well my memory of it.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh, no disrespect was meant! 

No worries.  I knew you didn't.  But I had to do another shoutout to Ray Harryhausen which is why I included the Youtube clip.   This might be sacrilegious in today's CGI world, but I prefer Harryhausen's creations because I can sense the "mass".  Unlike CGI which comes across as "air" to me.  Don't get me started on CGI or motion capture "people".  

I love Bubo the Owl too.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

However, I do judge a lot of greek mythology related movies against it..well my memory of it.

Same! Clash of the Titans wasn’t accurate to the original myth, but compared to how much movies like Troy or remake Clash of the Titans got wrong, it still comes off pretty well.