Type keyword(s) to search

Megan Wheeler: Young Enough To Be Carded...

Much better!

I get that Logan missed Barek, but there was no reason for him to be such a douche to her in her first scenes.

I've never really cared about the naysayers here.  Wheeler was always my favorite female detective.  Add that to the fact that she worked with Logan, my favorite male, and they made my favorite pair of the series! :)  I never got why whoever it was at TWoP thought that she worked better with Nichols.  I thought she had far better partner chemistry with Logan.  Plus, as least they got to bust the perps jointly and together!  It's a personal thing, but to me, her and Logan's episodes beat out Goren and Eames's because they both played parts in the cracking of each of their cases, compared to Goren solving nearly every case and busting the perp without Eames.

Also, I felt like Wheeler was probably the most real of any of the female detectives.  Never came in wearing a whole lot of makeup (like Eames and Barek), and she didn't look overly modelesque (like Eames, Barek, and Stevens).

I know many will claim Eames or possibly Barek as their favorite female detective of this series.  But I'm a Wheeler fanboy, all the way!

• Love 1

I don't think Eames looked like she wore a lot of makeup, but to each his/her own. You prefer Wheeler? You prefer Wheeler. Have at it!  :-)  Every character has their fans.

• Love 1

Not a lot, but you could see just enough that you knew she was wearing it.  Wheeler barely wore any that I could see.  Or if she wore any, it was concealed pretty well that she didn't look like she was.

Wheeler totally wore make-up. Most of it was eye make-up. she didn't wear any to cover up her freckles, but she did wear it. Eames wore more during the first season, but as the seasons passed, it was less and less.

I get that Logan missed Barek, but there was no reason for him to be such a douche to her in her first scenes.

How was Mike a douche? I found their first scenes just to be awkward and stilted. Mike could be a jerk, as he was when Lenny came over while Phil was out on medical after being shot. He really thought Phil was coming back and told Lenny not to get comfortable.

By the time Mike got to Major Case, he was no longer that  hot head, known famously for his temper. Very rarely did he lose it on this show.  I'm just not seeing how he was a jerk to Wheeler.  And we don't know that he missed Barek. And I don't count Ross' sarcastic comment if things don't work out, he'd try and get Barek back. As if he could. Dude couldn't do anything without brass approval and we know that the Brass hated and despised Mike Logan.

we know that the Brass hated and despised Mike Logan.

And Goren. Don't forget: Mutt and Whackjob. Never mind that both probably had excellent case clearance rates and made the NYPD look good, but they didn't kiss ass, so they were on the hitlist!

• Love 1
He was like "Don't think we gotta make conversation or anything just cause we're partners".  And referred to her as his driver.  THAT would have pissed me off.

I think Mike was...just being Mike. He was always quick with sarcasm. And I think he said not to worry about conversation because Wheeler WASN'T saying anything, so maybe he was using reverse psychology there.

• Love 1

I don't know.  His venting about her to Ross later on kinda told me he really didn't like her.  At least not at first.  I don't know at which point he finally came around, but I just know that then, he certainly hadn't.

• Love 1

Hmm. Well, maybe. But it was consistent with Logan and new partners. He was pretty brusque with Lennie on The Mothership before he realized his former partner wasn't going to come back, and only then did he begin to thaw, a bit.

It usually took Logan time. But we do know he did come to respect/like Megan, especially when she announced she was taking that case in Europe for a bit and he was afraid she wasn't going to come back.

• Love 1

And we don't know that he missed Barek. And I don't count Ross' sarcastic comment if things don't work out, he'd try and get Barek back.

Finally!  This is the exact moment I've spent hours looking for, here and on IMDb.  Can anyone give me additional background on this?

It's Wheeler's first day as Logan's partner and apparently she's been in the captain's office, complaining about Logan.  Then Logan goes in and he starts complaining about her, but the captain interrupts him and says, "I'll tell you what I just told her:  don't underestimate your new partner. [Logan gives a little "humph" and starts to leave.]  And besides, I can always try to get Barek back for you."

At this, Logan gives Deakins a very odd look, with a quick eyebrow raise/drop that I can't read.  What's up here?  Do we know why Barek left or where she went?  Did Logan not like her?  **I** liked her!!

But I'm easy.  I enjoy all the temporary detectives, purely for the diversity and change of pace.  I consider them palate cleansers.

For the same reason, I'm always happy to catch "Palimpsest" and the ep with Logan's girlfriend. (These are collectively referred to on IMDb as "the soap opera episodes"--fuckyouverymuch.) 

I wish it was Deakins! :-)  (You obviously meant Ross, candall, I know.  :-)  )

Durrrrrr.  Gosh, I just watched it this morning.  And I replayed it, twice, to try and interpret what Logan was saying with that eyebrow.  I guess my mind just naturally tends to plaster Jamey Sheridan right over Eric Bogosian any chance it gets.  :P

Better grab that desk while you can, Logan, before the new guy assigns it to someone else!

Alicia Witt getting a credit kind of surprised me. When Samantha Buck was a temp for Kathryn Erbe, she didn't get the same courtesy.

Maybe it was a recent thing, as the Mothership also did it for Michael Imperioli's temp cop character (subbing for Jesse L. Martin, IIRC.). Or maybe those actors had a good agent.

• Love 1

The franchise credit policy does/did seem rather arbitrary. As I have also pointed out before, Jay O. Sanders was also the only actor of those as CI's captains who himself never made the opening credits and just had the "Also Starring" tag, lumped with the guest stars.

Maybe there is something to the agent thing.

And to answer, no. I don't recall Dani Beck having a credit shot on SVU, either.

• Love 1

Chattygal, Liviott shippers? I guess I shouldn't be surprised since all shows have 'shippers. But, and this is just me, I never thought they'd go anywhere, anyway since Elliott was already married with kids - although I'm sure closeness between partners has caused many an issue.

But back to Megan Wheeler, the real topic! I wonder why JN left? Was she just ready (as she did spend 3 years on CI)? Did she have an issue working with Jeff Goldblum so decided to get out? Did USA just want all new folks for S9 to go with the weird tone?

Makes you wonder!

Here's a Megan question: Which partner did you think she worked better with, Logan or Nichols? And what was your favorite episode featuring her character?

• Love 1

Chattygal, Liviott shippers? I guess I shouldn't be surprised since all shows have 'shippers. But, and this is just me, I never thought they'd go anywhere, anyway since Elliott was already married with kids - although I'm sure closeness between partners has caused many an issue.

Yes! And they didn't CARE that Elliot was married. For every episode that had Liv as a hooker and Elliot the pimp, of any undercover with them together, they would squee and go on and ON about Liv + Elliot 4EVAH!!!

• Love 1
But back to Megan Wheeler, the real topic! I wonder why JN left? Was she just ready (as she did spend 3 years on CI)? Did she have an issue working with Jeff Goldblum so decided to get out? Did USA just want all new folks for S9 to go with the weird tone?

Makes you wonder!

Here's a Megan question: Which partner did you think she worked better with, Logan or Nichols? And what was your favorite episode featuring her character?

I suspect it was because of Jeff.  Saffron hinted numerous times that she didn't get along with him, so I wouldn't be surprised if Julianne had the same problems with him.

As for my favorite episode with Wheeler . . . God, as one of her fans, it's hard to choose just one.  I know I liked her introductory episode, "Tru Love."  While her verbal deliveries weren't the best, I liked her facial reactions to the lesbian bike repairwoman and her "WTF?!" double take upon hearing Keith's revelation of his father storing videos of "the back years" with his female flings.  Plus, she was the one to crack the case, figuring out Keith and Danielle's motives, and I liked how she easily handled Danielle both times she and Keith got caught.

I liked "Blasters," too, since it at least gave us a bit more of a look into her past and her having to watch all of the lustre get knocked off her teenhood crush.  Though I can't figure out as to whether or not only Logan was declared to be "in blood" by the Albanian mob leader, or both Logan and Wheeler were, despite her not being present to hear it.

"Weeping Willow" wins points from me if only because that was where I thought Julianne showed the most spark, at least when both Logan and Ross looked to her to make the public announcement and, in horror, she widened her eyes and said a confident "No!" to it.  Only to wind up with an almost defeated look when she had to do it, anyway.

I liked the ending of "World's Fair" just because of her awkward expression as Meena's brother is using her as his prop, but that's it.

And then "Renewals."  I just liked that she was the one (along with Eames) to take down Patty, with no Logan in sight.

Edited by Donny Ketchum

The infamous "monkey in the basketball" episode managed to set up a scenario where Liv had to pretend to be a hooker when she visits an undercover Elliott and they are caught by the bad guys who traffic exotic animals. Of course, it was just an excuse to get Hargitay and Meloni next to naked with each other. There was no point to any of it but servicing the shippers. Bleargh.

I've only seen two of the Wheeler/Nichols episodes in season eight and holy cow, already I'm comfortable saying that by far Logan was a better partner. It felt more equal, even if it wasn't supposed to be due to his seniority and experience. With Nichols/Goldblum, it feels like she's being marginalized so Goldblum can hog the spotlight. 

I think "Players" was her best showcase.

First paragraph response: Oh. Brother.

As for the rest, I guess Zack Nichols hasn't made such a positive impact with you, Chattygal?  :-P  This season is kind of meh, but there are, IMO, a few good-ish G/E episodes.

But I'll say if I haven't misunderstood you, S9 (from 3rd episode onward) might be a hard sell for you.

In terms of the Megan/Zack dynamic, I agree that Wheeler and Logan were better, but - and I can't believe I'm saying anything nice about Zack - Zack was nice enough when Wheeler's personal issues sort of come at her. (Alas, a fair amount of part of the aftermath of one part was in the missing episode that is never shown. But what can you do, unless you buy a R2 DVD player?  :-) )

• Love 1
All three of the G/E episodes so far have been pretty good - not just because of them and their stronger bond/chemistry, but the plots seemed better written and just generally more interesting. Goldblum just always seems to be playing a variation on the same character and while sometimes, it's successful (The Big Chill, The Fly), here it's just obnoxious.

So, and feel free to answer this in the S7 thread, how did you like "Frame", by the way, Chattygal?

Wheeler was by far my favorite detective; I loved her combination of cute, smart, tough, low-key, and competent.  I think Logan was the better partner, although I'm a big fan of Goldblum and I liked Nichols.

(Alas, a fair amount of part of the aftermath of one part was in the missing episode that is never shown. But what can you do, unless you buy a R2 DVD player?  :-) )

Wait, what?  What is this lost episode?

Beadgirl and Maherjunkie, yes, there is a "lost" episode. It was episode 8 of Season 8 and was titled "The Glory That Was". And it had strong ties to the Olympics and the Olympic Committee as the backdrop of the murder, as the victim was a former Olympian. Must be some licensing hangups in the US since the Region 1 (US/Canada) S8 DVD set doesn't have the episode nor does Netflix, iTunes, and the like. But it had zip to do with gymnasts. This involved equestrian riding and training...

The episode title is listed in the US DVD set but then says the episode is not available.

However, the Region 2 (UK) release of S8 does have this episode. I have a region-free DVD player, so I bought that set to have all episodes. By the way, it is a Nichols/Wheeler episode. (And their opening credits, for the N/W episodes, actually uses stills from this very episode.)

If there is interest, let me know. I can try to figure something out so it can be watched.

• Love 1

It was shown not too long ago on WGN.

Then they must be the exception!  :-)  Ion always skips it in their marathon and, as I said, no streaming services carry that episode (even though the rest of S8 is up on Netflix!), so it seems rare. And we don't get WGN.

So, again, if others are in the same boat and want to see this, let me know.  :-)  I will brainstorm.

• Love 1

In terms of the Megan/Zack dynamic, I agree that Wheeler and Logan were better, but - and I can't believe I'm saying anything nice about Zack - Zack was nice enough when Wheeler's personal issues sort of come at her.

And yet he barely seemed to remember he had a partner most of the rest of the time he worked with her.  When she had her baby, Eames reacted very positively.  Nichols took a few seconds before he even remember whom was being referred to.  Did he ever address her by name, first or last?

• Love 1

And yet he barely seemed to remember he had a partner most of the rest of the time he worked with her.  When she had her baby, Eames reacted very positively.  Nichols took a few seconds before he even remember whom was being referred to.  Did he ever address her by name, first or last?

Hey, like I said before the above comment, I don't even really like Zack Nichols, really. I just thought he was...okay...when he found out Wheeler was pregnant. Other than that, he annoyed the piss out of me. I think the character was conceived as part of Ross' past, but that in itself was annoying because Ross was a polarizing character.

I will say once Nichols was on the scene that he really made me miss Logan.

Again, CI wasn't an oddball show, and those are the kinds of things Mr. Goldblum seems good at, and trying to change the show to fit him failed.

Loved Wheeler's reaction to finding Falacci's "Princess" mug and purple nail polish, total disdain combined with a cauliflower nose. I was so happy to see Nicholson in the credits after those agonizing episodes with Alicia Witt. I'll never take Megan Wheeler for granted again!

I'm watching "Contract," her return episode, right now, and I haven't seen that part once.  Unless it was in a different one.

I know Wheeler's arc was wrapped up, but it still seemed haphazard to me. And while she did seem so young to me a lot of the time, I'm sort of sad that she wasn't a part of "Loyalty" since it was another (the last really!) "two teams of partners interacting" thing, and introducing Stevens in the midst of it all just seemed jarring as, unlike Wheeler and the other three, she had no investment or history with Ross.

Okay, in an attempt to discuss non G/E stuff:

Megan's better partner: Logan or Nichols? And why? Discuss!

I wonder how Wheeler would have handled the quirkiness that was Goren. Nichols was odd, but Goren was a therapist's dream - or nightmare, depending on one's view.

Okay, in an attempt to discuss non G/E stuff:

Megan's better partner: Logan or Nichols? And why? Discuss!

I wonder how Wheeler would have handled the quirkiness that was Goren. Nichols was odd, but Goren was a therapist's dream - or nightmare, depending on one's view.

No question.  Logan was her better partner.  Bar none.  Although their beginnings were shaky in "Tru Love," you could see them develop clear respect for each other throughout their time working together.  And they both actually worked as a team to bust the perps in their episodes.  I felt like both got about equal focus in their cases.  Whenever the perp was being busted, more often than not, they would double-team him or her with their motives and means for the murders they committed.  Plus, Chris and Julianne had some pretty good partner chemistry.  In fact, I dare say Chris worked far better with Julianne than he did with Annabella.  Logan and Wheeler had some good back-and-forth with each other, something I never saw him do much of with Barek.  Plus, with Logan, I feel like Wheeler had a bit more spark and life to her.

Let's compare it to her episodes with Nichols.  From the very start, Wheeler got shoved to the background in favor of Nichols.  I don't know if it was a USA decision to push the new, overly-quirky detective or the writers' decision to force the newbie played by a big star on the audience, but either way, I felt like Wheeler got greatly overshadowed by him.  Their team dynamic turned into Goren and Eames 2.0, basically, with Nichols making all of the busts and Wheeler not getting to be in on any of them like she was with Logan.  I don't even think she genuinely liked him like she did Logan.  Or maybe it was Julianne who didn't like Jeff, in which case it really seemed to show on-screen.  They just had zero spark or partner chemistry with one another that I could see.

As for how Wheeler might've handled Goren . . . well, she was on the show at the same time as he was.  Another two-parter featuring both Goren/Eames and Logan/Wheeler might've been nice.  I imagine she would've been initially flummoxed with his quirks and methods of solving cases, but eventually gotten used to it like Eames, Logan, and Barek all did.

On an unrelated note, it would've been a nightmare for me.  I'd be worried he'd try to psychoanalyze me.

• Love 2

I honestly don't know how JN felt about JG, but as I highlighted before, as much as Zack/Zach Nichols annoyed the crap out of me, he seemed to be kind to Wheeler vis a vis her pregnancy and the whole situation with the ex. But that seemed to be it. If Nicholson hated Goldblum, she was a better actress than I gave her credit for.

But I do think the dynamic with Logan was better of the two, although I think Barek was more of a peer while Wheeler was the "young upstart" bit. (But Annabella Sciorra was born in 1960 while Julianne Nicholson was born in 1971 to Chris Noth's 1954, so I guess that makes a bit of sense.) But I do think Logan/Wheeler evolved into a comfortable pairing.

Something I never really saw with Nichols - be it with Wheeler or Stevens, especially the latter. They [Nichols/Stevens] seemed like a cold pairing.

So I guess Wheeler was able to keep some life in Nichols.

• Love 1

But I do think the dynamic with Logan was better of the two, although I think Barek was more of a peer while Wheeler was the "young upstart" bit. (But Annabella Sciorra was born in 1960 while Julianne Nicholson was born in 1971 to Chris Noth's 1954, so I guess that makes a bit of sense.) But I do think Logan/Wheeler evolved into a comfortable pairing.

I never saw the age difference as a problem.  Just because Julianne made Wheeler look younger than she was doesn't mean she was that.  I believed her credentials when Ross said them despite how youthful she looked.  I believed her experience level.

So S7 with Megan Wheeler and her crooked fiancé (among other things) has recently been on USA, and while I got why Megan was sent to Europe (JN's pregnancy leave), I never did get why we got the whole fiancé deal to begin with since he was as peripheral as they came and disappeared almost as quickly. Was it to give Megan a baby daddy since JN was pregnant again?

Because if the whole "criminal fiancé" was meant to be an actual side plot, it was terribly done in a very spotty, half-assed fashion. And if it was to set up baby #2 for JN, that could have just as easily happened with a ONS.

I wouldn't have minded if this was fleshed out, but it just seemed to peter off into nothingness. Frankly, if the writers wanted to flesh the character out, I think her backstory with her absent father could have been put to much more dramatic use.

I wouldn't have minded if this was fleshed out, but it just seemed to peter off into nothingness. Frankly, if the writers wanted to flesh the character out, I think her backstory with her absent father could have been put to much more dramatic use.

I think there was an episode in which her father was supposed to be at least mentioned.  "Players," actually.  But somehow, every version of the episode I've seen has had it cut.

I think there was an episode in which her father was supposed to be at least mentioned.  "Players," actually.  But somehow, every version of the episode I've seen has had it cut.

I do remember a synopsis for an episode - and maybe it was "Players", as you said - where it said Wheeler looks into her father's illegal activities. Seen that more than once, actually, and thought I just didn't pay close enough attention. Guess not.

Which makes giving her said absent father and making mention of him in her debut episode only to drop it completely a big waste of time.

And on another note, I still don't get how she wasn't promoted to senior detective when paired with Nichols what with him off the force for seven years. (His first episode aired again early yesterday morning and reminded me of that fact.)

• Love 2