Type keyword(s) to search

L&O: CI Misc. Thread...

This is sort of a topic to wonder about the ancillary stuff throughout the series.

For starters, where did that blonde detective in "Privileged" in S6 and another appearance in S8 come from? Did she have a name?

And she just as quickly vanished!

According to IMDB, she was in several episodes. Her name is Traci Godfrey:

- Trophy Wine (2011) ... Det. Agnes Farley
- True Legacy (2010) ... Det. Agnes Farley
- Playing Dead (2009) ... Det. Agnes Farley
- Vanishing Act (2008) ... Det. Agnes Farley
- Renewal (2007) ... Det. Agnes Farley
- Privilege (2007) ... Det. Agnes Farley
- Blasters (2006) ... Det. Agnes Farley
- Siren Call (2006) ... Det. Agnes Farley

Speaking of loose ends, as much as I HATED the way Deakins made his exit (with the e-mail scandal hanging over him, even if he claimed retiring was his decision), well...at least he had one.

Even after all this time, I think it sucks that Carver just seemed to vanish with no explanation. I do recall some female replacement in S6 telling G/E that Carver called Major Case "Major Hunch", but that was it. No talk of where he went or what he was doing.

CBV deserved SOMETHING more after 5 years on the show.

Maybe CI should have taken a page from the Mothership and had Carver butt heads with G/E (and/or Logan/Wheeler) as a defense attorney.

Although I can sort of understand why CBV wanted to leave since the cop teams increased, probably making his small role that much smaller in the end.

(edited)

Here's another something - anal retentive to be sure, but hey - I thought of. More of a nitpick (and in the grand scheme, unimportant, but as I said, anal retentive!) than an odd or an end, but it seems like, for all the care that was put into Goren's background, the math didn't add up.

In "Endgame", we pretty much found out that Bobby was born in '61 since Brady and his mom "celebrated together" when JFK was elected president and Brady was on leave from the service. Okay.

Well, when Nicole (UGH!) asked Bobby how old he was when he figured out his "mommy wasn't like the other mommies", he told her he was 7.

Well, when Bobby visited his mom's grave in "Framed" on her birthday, her year of birth on her headstone was 1939. Bobby had told someone his mom was 32 when she first exhibited signs of her disease. So if Bobby was 7, and Frances was 32, that would be around 1968-ish, but would only make Frances 29.

So the CI peeps clearly hated math, just like I did.  :-P

Come to think of it, and @GHScorpiosRule would probably know more than I would, but I can swear there were a few discrepancies with Mike Logan's background on CI versus the Mothership, too. (I DO know Cragen's background on SVU was altered from the Mothership, so I wouldn't be surprised if Logan's was a bit different.)

Edited by WendyR72
(edited)

Come to think of it, and @GHScorpiosRules would probably know more than I would, but I can swear there were a few discrepancies with Mike Logan's background on CI versus the Mothership, too. (I DO know Cragen's background on SVU was altered from the Mothership, so I wouldn't be surprised if Logan's was a bit different.)

I don't think they Leight fucked up too much of Mike's history, other than erasing the cousins/nephew he had in the mothership. When the priest asked asked Mike if he had any family in "Last Rights", Mike said no.

What the fuck ever.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Well, in the mothership, Mike said he had a nephew. I took that to mean, he probably had a brother or sister. But maybe that was just a mistake in the mothership because I always got the sense he was an only child. But that whoever wrote that episode thought the dialogue sounded good for Mike to say "My nephew has one of those..." or something like that, and I can't quite recall which episode it was.

So, if he did have a nephew, him saying he had no family was a muckup, because the existence of one, tells me he's got a sibling out there, and as far as I'm concerned, that falls under family, even if he's married, which he wasn't. He's got cousins out there, as well. But I didn't really get upset about that, because for the most part, the mothership wasn't the Mike Logan show; where this show differs is, it was a cross between Mothership and SVU, where we got more of the personal lives of the characters once Leight took over, but not as much shoved down our throats as with SVU.

Here's another odd...or an end, take your pick!

But did you ever notice that CI, unlike the Mothership or SVU, always seemed to have partners of the opposite sex? Not that it's a bad thing, but I'm kind of surprised that neither Logan nor Nichols were never given male partners. (I exclude Goren because he and Eames were paired from word go, with the others cast later on.)

The only time you saw same-sex partnered pairings was if Ross was filling in for a missing partner, and the blink-and-miss Goren and Logan bit in "Wee Small Hours".

Just seemed a bit weird, to me.

Not surprising.  Remember, early Law & Order got a lot of grief from the network for having an all-male cast.  So after Season 4, they always had a female ADA to go with the male EADA.  Then, when SVU came along they went with a male/female pair of lead detectives and likewise with Goren/Eames on CI.  They eventually went to a male/female detective pair on L&O with Nina Cassidy, and only went back to male/male because of the fan reaction to Cassidy.  And SVU recently replaced Munch with Rollins, going all opposite-sex pairs on there as well.  (I think that's what they're doing, anyway.  I don't watch SVU.)

Basically, CI started later than the other shows, and at that point they had moved to a formula of using opposite-sex pairs wherever possible.  L&O shows tend to stick to the formula.

I didn't know SVU is now also doing opposite-sex pairings, too. Like you, I no longer watch it.

I recall the flack that L&O PTB got for all the men early on, but CI was already covered with G/E in terms of partner diversity, so IMO, Logan and/or Nichols could have been partnered with a guy with no problem.

But, as you said, the franchise liked to stick with its formula, @rujasu .

Not to get too offtopic, but SVU didn't just have Stabler and Benson, but in the first season, Munch was paired with a female detective too...shoot, what's her name? Anyhoo, she was gone by season two, so Benson was the only female in the precinct. Guess Dickless thought that was okay, since Stephanie March joined and was made a regular.

And I know this is HUGELY unpopular (I can say that word here, right?), but I loved it when it was an all male cast.

Sue me.

I never quite warmed up to Clair, who did more than her fair share of whining. But I fucking loved Van Buren.  Does that make it okay that I loved the first three seasons the best?

Oh, I knew you loved the early Mothership years, @GHScorpiosRule! I did, too, but I didn't mind the changes, either, since I did like Claire and Abby and loved Van Buren.

And Munch's first partner was played by Michelle Herd (?). Wasn't her last name Jeffries? Which is funny since CI also had a background "Jeffries" whom Goren asked for help in "Blind Spot" after he got the text from Jo/Sebastian on Eames' phone, but that Jeffries was a bald guy. (And how's THAT for connecting this post to CI?)  :-)

At least Claire got a sendoff which is more than I can say for poor "POOF!" Ron Carver on CI. And I don't recall Barek being explained either, only Ross telling Logan he would try to get him Barek back if things didn't work out with Wheeler.

Not to get too offtopic, but SVU didn't just have Stabler and Benson, but in the first season, Munch was paired with a female detective too...shoot, what's her name? Anyhoo, she was gone by season two, so Benson was the only female in the precinct. Guess Dickless thought that was okay, since Stephanie March joined and was made a regular.

SVU has generally had two main pairings.  Stabler/Benson (eventually Benson/Amaro) was the primary pair.  The second pairing went something like:

Early S1: Munch (Richard Belzer) & Cassidy (Dean Winters)

Late S1, Early S2: Munch & Jeffries (Michelle Hurd)

Most of the series after that: Munch & Finn (Ice-T)

Lake (Adam Beach) was in there for a season

Last couple of seasons: Finn & Rollins (Kelli Giddish)

You might have something with the added female ADA meeting their "woman quota."  Shortly after Kelli Giddish joined as Finn's new partner, they added Barba, who I believe is the first male ADA ever on SVU.  Guess two women is the magic number for that show.

I never quite warmed up to Clair, who did more than her fair share of whining. But I fucking loved Van Buren.  Does that make it okay that I loved the first three seasons the best?

The all-male cast was quite good!  It's probably for the best that they didn't keep going with all-male, though.  I liked both Paul and Claire.  And Van Buren was the best of the precinct chiefs, though the L&O version of Captain Cragen was miles better than the SVU version.  I'd say it's something like:

Van Buren > L&O Cragen = Deakins >>>>> Ross > SVU Cragen

Didn't see much of Hannah or the woman who came after Ross, so not sure where they would fit in.  I assume both would go somewhere south of Deakins.

I assume Barek moved on because of Logan's faux pass?

What faux pass? And her leaving was never explained; which I was okay with, because they NEVER explained why Paul Robinette and Cragen were just gone in the mothership; or why Detective Beauty Queen was never seen again. The only departures that were explained, because 3 of them were killed, so no 'splanations were needed. The Rest were explained. Phil-gun shot injury; Mike, for punching a homophobic, dirty ex-cop Councilman; Rey, wife's illness; Lenny, retirement from the force; Green, gambling addiction; I don't know if Farina got an 'planation, as I wasn't watching. Jamie didn't get one; but Abbie and Rohmbot did.

As for this show, Carver, Barek were the only ones whose departure didn't get an 'splanation.

(edited)
Didn't see much of Hannah or the woman who came after Ross, so not sure where they would fit in.  I assume both would go somewhere south of Deakins.

Well, to be fair, Joseph Hannah and Zoe Callas (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio's character) were only on a season apiece. So there's that. But in the short time he was on, I thought Hannah was a mix of Deakins (humor, was more trusting of his people's abilities) and Ross (also trying to balance the "politics" and rules [i.e. confronting Bobby about his therapy sessions]), but he wasn't a pompous douche like Ross.

Zoe Callas...all she seemed to talk about was case exposition, so...  Oh, and carried files. Let's just say the writing for S9 was...less than inspired for all involved.

Edited by WendyR72

See any of the actors on talk shows, the theater, or whatnot? Put that here. Also, since it is a misc. thread, feel free to post things that really have no place in the season threads, character threads, OR the All Episodes thread. (This is not for other TV shows as that has another thread. Thanks!)

I always wondered about Deakins...he retired following that e-mail scandal he was framed with and which G/E investigated. But I wonder if he ever got his pension since he basically told G/E he didn't want to fight to clear himself, etc. Wouldn't he, in essence, be seen as a corrupt/dirty cop then (even though he wasn't)?

I'd think it would affect his benefits and such, but who knows? And clearly, I thought too much about this. LOL! But it is a loose end that seemed to never be tied up very well.

Hmm, like a "parting gift" from the NYPD then... Makes sense as much as anything else, @GHScorpiosRule!

Yeah. They didn't suspend him or anything. I suspect they probably suggested he retire and he could have his pension/benefits. So he did.  Because we know that the Brass on this show, hell, on all three, were fucktards.

Yep, this is true.

Because I'm fair and not totally biased, I did like the new Chief of Detectives they had on the mothership in the last season, who told Van Buren about medicinal marijuana she could use to help with the chemo. New guy, new actor. I think, he said he used it or his wife did, and that they were all rooting for him. The thing that didn't make sense though was that her chemo wasn't covered under her work plan. Plot point, I suppose, and you and I are sooo familiar with that!

The TVDB on the CI page has pics of the cast up. Most of them look like network photo shoots that I've never seen. Pretty nice shots, although it seemed weird to see CBV/Carver without his glasses. Although maybe I didn't look too closely and they are there.

Still, as I said, nice pics. And everyone is there, even one and done Carolyn Barek. No, wait, I take it back. Saffron Burrows, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, and Jay O. Sanders aren't there. But everyone else has some nice pictures representing their characters. (Except Annabella Sciorra's shot looks more like a regular head shot, but still nice.)