Type keyword(s) to search

L&O: CI Misc. Thread...

That is adorable, Maherjunkie. A true Internet work of art!

I have a stupid question, but it bugs me every single time I watch a rerun on ION: what episode is the clip from where Bobby says "You took the gun, you put it in her hand and BOOM!" It bugs me every time. I know they have "Sound Bodies" on there, with Connie laughing at Bobby, but the former clip drives me nuts trying to place it. Anyone?

That is adorable, Maherjunkie. A true Internet work of art!

I have a stupid question, but it bugs me every single time I watch a rerun on ION: what episode is the clip from where Bobby says "You took the gun, you put it in her hand and BOOM!" It bugs me every time. I know they have "Sound Bodies" on there, with Connie laughing at Bobby, but the former clip drives me nuts trying to place it. Anyone?

I'm here to ease your mind there, Eolivet!  :-)  That clip is from "The Consoler", the second episode of Season 10. (And was supposed to be the first episode until Charlie Sheen had his meltdown and TPTB wanted to cash in!)

• Love 1

Snowing like crazy here, which means a White Thanksgiving. And except for the L.A. and UK versions, obviously all other L&O shows were filmed in New York. We saw snow on the ground more than once.

But they should have had the whole experience and had the NYPD peeps investigate during such a storm. Fear of lost evidence! The cold! Swearing at the elements!

It could have been epic.  :-P

Thanks for solving the mystery, WendyCR72! Bobby would be proud at your attention to detail.

I have to point this out because it really annoys me, and it's so minor, I didn't want it in any of the season threads. So, VDO and Chris Noth have for their shots in the opening credits, photos of them looking...like cops, basically. Examining evidence, going to a crime scene, leaning in odd ways as they interrogate a suspect. Every time I catch a Nichols episode by mistake, it drives me crazy that Jeff Goldblum is holding a bag with what looks like food in it. Like...ooh, way to convey gravitas there! Wow, such a professional -- you stopped for lunch!

I know it was probably USA's attempt to "Monk"-ify the show (QUIRKY DETECTIVE SOLVES CRIMES AND IS QUIRKY AT THE SAME TIME!), but ugh. Yet another (dumb) reason why Nichols episodes are the worst.

Thanks for solving the mystery, WendyCR72! Bobby would be proud at your attention to detail.

I have to point this out because it really annoys me, and it's so minor, I didn't want it in any of the season threads. So, VDO and Chris Noth have for their shots in the opening credits, photos of them looking...like cops, basically. Examining evidence, going to a crime scene, leaning in odd ways as they interrogate a suspect. Every time I catch a Nichols episode by mistake, it drives me crazy that Jeff Goldblum is holding a bag with what looks like food in it. Like...ooh, way to convey gravitas there! Wow, such a professional -- you stopped for lunch!

I know it was probably USA's attempt to "Monk"-ify the show (QUIRKY DETECTIVE SOLVES CRIMES AND IS QUIRKY AT THE SAME TIME!), but ugh. Yet another (dumb) reason why Nichols episodes are the worst.

I give Wheeler some credit there, @Eolivet . She did look suitably disgusted when she saw her new partner walk up with that bag (in "Rock Star" S8, by the way!). The look on her face was, "This is my new partner?!"

I can't recall what thread it was that you were discussing Tony Goldwyn's casting in (and I tried to find it, promise!) but I just noticed that Tony Goldwyn directed an episode of the mothership during season sixteen. If IMDB is correct, that was shortly before his first appearance as Frank. I'm guessing whatever rapport he struck up with Wolf/Balcer behind the camera was sufficient to getting him cast as Bobby's brother.

Well, connections help! So it sounds about right, @Chattygal !

• Love 1

It occurred to me that, as we have discussed, the "Order" part of L&O: CI was basically nonexistent once Carver left. Sure, we had the recurring lawyers, but they never had a real presence.

I was just thinking around the time Diane Neal was entrenched on SVU that, if Stephanie March wanted/needed a gig, why didn't Dick Wolf do what he did for Logan and bring her to CI instead of warping her character on Conviction? Maybe the fear of having two women named Alex on the same show? Hee.

This came up because I saw SM on a repeat not long ago and how she seemed to come and go on SVU later on...

• Love 1

Alex Cabot went from for the people/victims to a power-hungry bureaucrat who was all about power and her record, when not having sex on her desk with a subordinate only to turn around the next morning and accept a marriage proposal from another power-type dude. Ironically, his name was Robert, by the by.

I know @Chattygal gave me an earful about it after I directed her to the show. Thankfully, it lasted only a season back in 2006, so not many know just how un-Alex Cabot the Conviction version was.

Oh, and Julianne Nicholson (who came to CI that same year) played an up and coming ADA named Christina Finn on Conviction, too, and she was actually pretty good there (and had longer hair; she must have cut it for the Megan Wheeler role).

• Love 1

Thanks.  You mean Nicholson.

Whoops, I did mean Julianne Nicholson. Damned fingers typing faster than my brain. I edited.  :-)

By the way, to all who lurk and/or post in here, if you celebrate it, Merry Christmas! And a Happy New Year to come.

Am I the only one who did not know that Tony Goldwyn (now obviously on Scandal, ex-Frank Goren) is the grandson of Samuel Goldwyn, i.e. one of the founders of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer? (I only discovered this because a site devoted to celebrity deaths covered the recent death of his father, Samuel Goldwyn, Jr.)

Small world, indeed.

WendyCR72, I did know that, but only found out a couple years ago (when "Scandal" became popular). It sort of made me look askance at his career because of it -- I wonder how much is due to talent and how much is due to name (like most things in Hollywood). I mean, he's good and everything, but he comes from Hollywood royalty, so...well in that business, it's not what you know.

Though I think he's perfectly cast on "Scandal," it makes me wonder about all those other guest spots (such as Frank Goren) -- were they favors to somebody? Can he pull strings and get any part he wants? Just an interesting idea to ponder.

WendyCR72, I did know that, but only found out a couple years ago (when "Scandal" became popular). It sort of made me look askance at his career because of it -- I wonder how much is due to talent and how much is due to name (like most things in Hollywood). I mean, he's good and everything, but he comes from Hollywood royalty, so...well in that business, it's not what you know.

Though I think he's perfectly cast on "Scandal," it makes me wonder about all those other guest spots (such as Frank Goren) -- were they favors to somebody? Can he pull strings and get any part he wants? Just an interesting idea to ponder.

I do admit, @Eolivet, that when I found out, it did make me wonder for a sec. But then I figured the man is in his mid 50s now. Family can get him through the door to be certain, but he has lasted, so I have to think that his own capabilities played a part now, especially with the industry being ageist.

I think he  has the chops.  Family didn't help LaToya Jackson.

And ouch, @Maherjunkie! (But this did give me a laugh.)

• Love 1

I just read in the SVU forum that in the episode that aired last week (not the most recent this week), I guess there was a small subtle shout out to CI as there was an "Icarus" poster hanging up somewhere in the episode. Small bit of continuity...

Back this coming Friday at the usual time, @Eolivet! It was preempted for ion's new V-Day movie. The funny thing is, while the marathon ends at 3:00 a.m. as usual, USA is showing episodes from 3 to 6 if folks REALLY want to stay up all night. (Not me!)

And MyNetwork is showing the S10/series finale and then circling to the pilot on Tuesday.

Woot! J.K. Simmons, always known as Dr. Emil Skoda (and did appear in a S1 CI episode, I think "The Good Doctor", maybe!) now has a much-deserved Oscar. Yay!

Being courteous to the left coast and spoiler tagging this!

Watching Cold Justice for the hour since "The War At Home" is just too bleak, but I noticed before it came on that ion has a new promo for CI. The odd thing is, like the old Goren "You'll Have To Go Through Him!" ION promo (with snippets of episodes/cast), it is Goren focused. It seems to have done away with the promo with all teams. I haven't seen that one at all and it was usually played fairly consistently.

Must be a yearly thing, the new promos.

But as much as I do admittedly prefer Goren/Eames, it seems kind of weird none of the other teams are involved this time. Then again, I didn't even see Eames this time.

The train wreck that is "Bombshell" made this come to mind, but I wonder how it was decided which team got what story/script to play out? Because I really did feel badly for Noth/Nicholson with that one.

But I doubt Goren/Eames could have saved this, either. Such an episode makes me see why NBC almost axed the show before USA stepped in.

And my stream of consciousness made me realize something: I wonder if Brady was a pseudo homage to Scheider's Jaws role? It's funny how similar the last names are: Brady and Brody. Funny how I never noticed.

And ah, Jenna Stern, she of the constant guest star. And Mark-Linn Baker's Wally was one strange guy. Sad what Larry and Balki were reduced to on this show.  :-P

So I was watching my L&O Mothership DVD earlier, S10. Got to watching "Mega", and I had forgotten another name in the franchise that was used and used again (as we had discussed the popularity of some names before): One of the people Briscoe and Greene interviewed was named...Al Goren! Ha. Didn't look like he'd be a relative of Bobby's. Frank? Eh, possibly.  ;-)

I guess TPTB really got their money's worth with name usage, as we all know!

ION has taken CI off its lineup, unfortunately.  I checked my TV Guide and saw that it's been replaced with Cold Case reruns.

Yeah, I know. I posted that in the General Discussion thread, too. Hopefully, it'll come back eventually. I know Cold Case was off the channel for a while, but the show was still on their site. So far, CI is still on the site, so maybe it'll be the same thing.

It's still on Tuesday nights on MyNetwork and runs on USA late night.

I was on the TV By The Numbers site to look at ratings and stumbled across the syndication ratings and was very surprised to see CI was #2 for the week. I guess maybe the Cloo Farewell Marathon paid off, maybe? Otherwise, I can't figure why it was so high.

Thanks for your posts elsewhere everyone, I am amazed to see what an active Facebook page VDO has!  What fun!

Didn't realize the show had gone off ION, I have downgraded my cable at the moment but will see where it pops up :)

Thanks for your posts elsewhere everyone, I am amazed to see what an active Facebook page VDO has!  What fun!

Didn't realize the show had gone off ION, I have downgraded my cable at the moment but will see where it pops up :)

@roseha, not sure if you still read here regularly, but CI is on MyNetwork on Tuesday nights for a 2-hour block starting at 8:00 p.m. ET. It's currently in the second season. And if you ever have insomnia, USA often shows it in the early morning hours.

It is off of ION now but the show is still on its web page, so who knows. Maybe it's a temporary break. We'll see.

Tonight on MyNetwork is "Best Defense", the one with the associate of Carver's who resents his wife and frames her for murder (and where Carver threatens to "get back to" Goren at the end, which I never understood why he got so pissy) and then "Tomorrow", that with the crazy sister nannies.

Since I don't know the season or episode, I thought I'd ask it here.

Which ended with Goren and Eames busting a perp, an older-looking man, who almost dreamily reflected on this young woman or even girl he'd desired or even killed and, after confessing, looked almost emptily out into space while Carver tells his attorney that he'll be ready to make any deals for his client?  Which was the final line of the episode?

Since I don't know the season or episode, I thought I'd ask it here.

Which ended with Goren and Eames busting a perp, an older-looking man, who almost dreamily reflected on this young woman or even girl he'd desired or even killed and, after confessing, looked almost emptily out into space while Carver tells his attorney that he'll be ready to make any deals for his client?  Which was the final line of the episode?

The only one I can think of with that scenario is "Crazy" from S1, the shrink played by Michael Gross, who killed his would-be lover's almost ex-brother-in-law to gain her favor.

This relates mainly to the Mothership alone, but since both S. Epatha Merkerson and Carolyn McCormick did CI cameos, I figured (in case anyone missed it in the L&O thread) I'd post this link here, too.

Dann Florek (who was on the regular L&O for the first three seasons long before SVU), Carolyn McCormick (a.k.a. Liz Olivet - and she looks great), S. Epatha Merkerson, and (an almost unrecognizable to some) Jill Hennessy (the late Claire Kincaid) try to recite the opening monologue that opens every L&O episode, in honor of the franchise's start with L&O 25 years ago!

Let me guess, you have to Tweet your verdict in? I don't Tweet, which is why those shows always lose me.

Or vote by cell phone?! No clue. I can't help but wonder if these cases will even be real and if, as such, this would even be legal!

My guess is that they are cases which have ended, and you'll get to vote but then see how the jury voted. And get mad at your TV all over again.

Sounds ridiculous, which is probably why NBC is trying for this, since it is in the proverbial crapper these days. But as dumb as the concept is, your take is better than what I thought.

I'd hate to think someone's life is dictated by bulk voting a la freaking American Idol.

• Love 1

Sounds ridiculous, which is probably why NBC is trying for this, since it is in the proverbial crapper these days. But as dumb as the concept is, your take is better than what I thought.

I'd hate to think someone's life is dictated by bulk voting a la freaking American Idol.

OMG, I hope not!!

"Tune in next week when we reveal the viewer's verdict!! Will they get life without parole, or the chair?? YOU decide!!"

• Love 1

OMG, I hope not!!

"Tune in next week when we reveal the viewer's verdict!! Will they get life without parole, or the chair?? YOU decide!!"

<Shakes head> But the worst of it is, I bet that's coming. Eventually. Which really scares me.

• Love 1