Type keyword(s) to search

iCarly - General Discussion

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

‘iCarly’ Revival With Miranda Cosgrove & Other Original Stars Gets Premiere Date On Paramount+

Premieres June 17.

The 13-episode season will pick up nearly 10 years after Nickelodeon’s original show ended. Carly Shay (Cosgrove), the original influencer, and her friends now are navigating work, love and family in their 20s. Original stars Jerry Trainor and Nathan Kress are back to reprise their as respective roles as Spencer Shay and Freddie Benson, and the redux adds two new cast members: Laci Mosley as Harper, Carly’s roommate and best friend, and Jaidyn Triplett as Millicent, Freddie’s snarky and social media-savvy stepdaughter.

I kept confusing this with the Lizzy McGuire reboot, I guess, and thought it got cancelled. 

I wonder if it will have similar problems to what allegedly sunk the McGuire reboot, with the network wanting it to keep the cast in a kind of emotional time capsule and still put on a kids show, or if the characters will actually act their age. 

I watched the first 3 epispdes and they were great. It's funny how enthusiastic Carly is everytime she meets an eligible guy. The jokes are good and I was very entertained.

The first episode was pretty good and ended great when they finally got back to the web show. The second and third episode were okay. Not as funny. And it feels like they don't know what to do with Carly's friend or Freddy's forced step-daughter. They're missing Sam's personality and dynamic. It's missing her character. I don't see it lasting long if they don't replace or substitute that somehow.

It was a guilty pleasure when it was on ten years ago and it's a guilty pleasure now. The absence of Jeanette is hard to ignore but I respect her decision to retire given her experience and I think the show will still appeal for the nostalgia. I think my favourite episode was the third, but they all had some moments that had me giggling just like the old series. 

The opening joke about identity theft was awesome and the actor did a really good job of selling it! I loved that. 

The joke about Spencer not getting that she is hiring a hooker was really great too.

Lovely episode.

I'm really happy. It's by no means groundbreaking TV (the original never was amazing writing or acting either) but I am enjoying it a lot, moreso than other renewals like Fuller House for exmaple.

Binged the whole thing.   My thoughts:  first, at the beginning with the webshow, it seemed like the humor would not fly anymore with adults (baby Spencer? Nora?). The over the top characterizations and gross out humor was just silly. As it went on, it seems to have become more focused in the adult lives of the characters and their jobs and dating and all, so it’s better. I like the new roommate.  But: I know she says, (by way of extremely clunky exposition that is never spoken of again), that’s she is a spoiled, bisexual, formerly rich hot chick who everyone wants, but the actress doesn’t really play her that way at all.   Give her a funny spoiled Alexis Rose valley girl voice, or something!  Give her clueless lines showing she’s out of touch with how much things cost!  Show men and women falling all over themselves when she’s around!  Make her act sexy!   We KNOW how to do this, people!   (I thought the actress who played the similarly formerly rich cousin was closer to the mark on this).  As played, she just comes off to me as a standard sitcom “sassy black friend” (ugh), who is constantly hitting on (only)  women.  Which is… fine?  but it’s not the spoiled, rich, bisexual, hot character they wrote.  (It’s funny, because I saw an interview with the actress, and she doesn’t sound at all like the character, so it’s a conscious choice she’s making.)  It’s like the show was written by a focus group who heard pansexuality and “non-binary” was a thing with the youngs,  and who heard about Schitt’s creek but never watched it.   As for the other new character, I hate hate the little kid. Takes me completely out of the show whenever she comes on.  Obnoxiousness worked for Sam because of the way Jeannette played her. This Kid is just a Standard Disney Brat with a laugh track on every. unfunny. line. Horrible and unnecessary! (She generates only questions. Why is she always at someone else’s house? Is she Freddie’s stepdaughter or adopted daughter? Adopted stepdaughter? That’s just adopted, then.   Why did he adopt a kid of someone he was only married to for 14 months? Why does he have custody over the mom or real dad?  Did the dad die? Does she look like him, because she doesn’t really resemble the mom, who is played by a Hispanic actress?  What is her ethnicity supposed to be?  Who wrote this crap?) Obviously they wanted to cover all the bases  by appealing to kids and adults.  Anyway, it doesn’t work, especially the tender moral lesson scenes with Freddie and the kid, which seem like they’re from an entirely different show.   It’s grating for the adults, and I can’t imagine kids are meant to be watching a show with threesomes in it.    Also, I am fully Team Fencer! Did you SEE the scene where Freddie was behind Spencer holding his hips and “dancing?” That wasn’t even subtext, that was TEXT. Nathan Kress has more chemistry with Jerry Trainor than he does with Miranda.  To me, he just comes off as her constantly encouraging gay bestie/hairdresser.  Distinct Will and Grace vibe.  (I know the actor is married irl, but he pings my gaydar.  A lot of these young Disney/Nick boy actors do.  Don’t know why, ymmv.). Weird that the show went out of its way to create a pansexual character with the roommate in an effort to be current and inclusive, but it just won’t go there with Freddie.  (He did have chemistry with the ex wife character and the threesome girl, so maybe it’s just Carly he doesn’t.)   Speaking of which, Nevel.  The character has always read as an over-the-top gay camp villain, perhaps because of way the actor played  him, though I’m sure that went over the heads of the original kiddie audience.   (He wanted to own a haberdashery, ffs!  Heck, the actor even played an effeminate boy on Will and Grace, iirc.) I get that they couldn’t have him be gay on a kids’ show, but why not acknowledge the obvious now, if you want to introduce adult themes? Why have him marry a woman?  To me, this was a missed opportunity.   Was it just to resurrect the plot of him going after Carly?  That is funny, I admit, those two play off each other perfectly.  Still, I thought by making the girl be a robot and emphasizing that his dad wanted him to marry a “human female,” they were saying something about how his interest wasn’t in women. Or at least writing something consistent with that. But then they have him say the whole thing was just to get Carly to marry him? I love that they’re trying to be inclusive, but they wasted an opportunity with a character they already had. The constant references to same-sex dating with the new roommate, by contrast, read as sort of abrupt and shoehorned in to check a box. Edited to add: saw finale. Didn’t need to ever see Freddie uttering the words “penis parasite.” If Carly goes for him now, she’s nuts. I don’t see how they can sell that. 

Edited by Rebecca berkowit

Glad that have some progress and see Carly has feelings for Freddie. A reverse from the original show. That pearl axe throw! Hopefully we see progress in their relationship by mid season.

I was disappointed to read this this morning. I really wanted to know about Carly and Spencer's mom and what she had to say for herself when she crashed the wedding.  I wanted a Creddie wedding with Carly walking down the aisle in a leather jacket that Sam sent her since she couldn't be there for the big day. 

• Like 1

Damn, now we'll never know who Carly's mom is or what she looks like. It was a dick move for them to end the season with a cliffhanger, knowing that they'd run the risk of being cancelled before they got a chance to tie any loose ends.

• Like 1