Type keyword(s) to search

Family Game Fight - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Kristen Bell and husband Dax Shepard serve as both hosts and competitors. Each episode will see the pair part ways and be "adopted" into a family of four as they compete in a series of games with a big cash prize up for grabs.

(edited)
22 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I think this is a fun show. I’m surprised how short it is. I like both Dax and Kristen, so I’ll continue to watch. 

Watching on demand right now; for some reason I was expecting it to be an hour (maybe because the TV listings show it as one hour-long episode...). Fun so far. 

Edit: okay, the second episode was an hour. Only the first was a half hour. I am less confused now.

Edited by ams1001

I can tell this is an Ellen DeGeneres production, it feels very much like her Game of Games. Making fools of the contestants with pies in the faces and freezing ice cubes poured all over their heads. The only thing missing is Ellen standing there giggling at all of this. I guess that makes it about 50% less mean spirited. We don't need the slo-mo repeats, we got it the first time. Pie in the face. Ha ha. 

Dax is not aging well. Weird creases under the bags under his eyes. At least he hasn't gone the plastic surgery route so good on him.

I knew they'd find a way to work Monica into the credits somehow. Host producer? What does that even mean? They totally made that up.

Edited by iMonrey
On 8/11/2021 at 10:23 PM, Whimsy said:

I think this is a fun show. I’m surprised how short it is. I like both Dax and Kristen, so I’ll continue to watch. 

It's okay.  But that announcer is going to drive me to violence.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I can tell this is an Ellen DeGeneres production, it feels very much like her Game of Games.

I had the same thought, then I saw her name in the credits and thought, Oh, that makes sense.

I haven't watched much of Game of Games; this was better, perhaps only because it doesn't have Ellen on my screen. The spinning game at the end would make me so dizzy.

Edited by ams1001

10 hours ago, SnarkShark said:

I haven't decided if their production company card is annoying or clever branding, since it actually features Kristen's voice. 

Maybe they think her voice is part of their "brand"?  Since she has done VO's for other shows- particularly Gossip Girl. 

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I had the same thought, then I saw her name in the credits and thought, Oh, that makes sense.

I haven't watched much of Game of Games; this was better, perhaps only because it doesn't have Ellen on my screen. The spinning game at the end would make me so dizzy.

Yeah, this idea was thought of when they did the food tasting game on Ellen's show.  I don't watch Ellen, but I heard about this.  The games are similar, but different enough that they're not exact copies.  Despite not liking Ellen, I still like this show.  

8 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Yeah, this idea was thought of when they did the food tasting game on Ellen's show.  I don't watch Ellen, but I heard about this.  The games are similar, but different enough that they're not exact copies.  Despite not liking Ellen, I still like this show.  

I remember having read that now that you mention it, but that was a while ago. I totally forgot Ellen was involved until I saw the credits at the end of the first episode. 

17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I remember having read that now that you mention it, but that was a while ago. I totally forgot Ellen was involved until I saw the credits at the end of the first episode. 

Kristen has been associated with Ellen strongly because of the whole Momsplaining thing, so I guess she's lucky more of Ellen's reputation collapse hasn't backwashed on her.  She was already lucky people didn't go harder on her for the Central Park show mixed-race character thing. 

On 9/7/2021 at 12:09 AM, BoogieBurns said:

I enjoy the show, but how is Dax so good at winning? They have to switch teams mid game so both get Dax. Kristen's great, but he just thinks faster. She's also less competitive, she seems to just enjoy playing regardless. 

Dax's whole schtick is that he acts like a moron, but in actuality, he graduated Magna cum laude from UCLA.

Edited by SnarkShark
  • Useful 1

Most of these games just aren't all that entertaining to watch. Especially Brain Freeze and Airhead. Apparently the show thinks it's hilarious to do slo-mo repeats of the air blowing the contestants' wigs off or dumping icy water on them. It's not.

I enjoy Kristen and Dax, and the show works best when they are playing and the families are just betting on them.