Type keyword(s) to search

Kung Fu in the News and Media

Trini
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Shannon Dang on Kung Fu
In Creative Company   Jul 26, 2021

Q&A with actor Shannon Dang. Moderated by Mara Webster, In Creative Company.

Highlights:

-- On Althea's tech talk, Shannon said that she wants to know what she's talking about and not just say the words phonetically, so she'll do a lot of Googling. Also, she said that Tony Chung (who plays her fiancé Dennis on the show) is "kind of a nerd in real life," so he'll look over things for her and tell her, "by the way, you say this like this." She'll reply, "How do you know this?" He'll respond, "Just trust me." Also, if the dialogue gets too technical and she has to talk really fast, she'll "cheat" by putting post-its on her laptop and reading them. But most of the time, she will have done her research and knows what she's talking about.

-- Shannon and Tony had discussions about the relationship between Althea and Dennis. They realized that there weren't a lot of young Asian couples shown on TV (American TV, I assume).  She said that it's been an "awesome partnership."

-- For the pilot, the showrunner had rehearsals with different people to work on different relationships. Shannon loves the Shen family relationships. She said that the cast had great chemistry with each other and that they had fun together.

-- Shannon said that there was nothing in the pilot about Althea's dark back story about being sexually assaulted by her boss. In the pilot, Althea was just the lighthearted one and the "family comic relief." After the pilot, the showrunner told Shannon what was to come for her character. Shannon said that she was "very nervous" because it was "such a sensitive and important subject matter." 

-- Shannon said that Althea puts up a "bubbly" front for her family, with a few moments where her seriousness comes out. Because Shannon "front-loaded" Althea's character early on, the writers could add more nuances for Althea.

-- Shannon contrasted Nicky and Althea, saying that Nicky was "a constant wave of bravery" and always stood up for others who didn't have a voice, "finding justice" and "using her powers for good," while Althea "just watches" and "doesn't know where she stands in those moments" and "wants to be brave like her sister." So that was a journey for Althea.

-- Shannon said that she knew Olivia Liang (Nicky) in real life as an acquaintance before this show. She also said that she, Olivia, Jon Prasida (Ryan) and Eddie Liu (Henry) all tested together, going from producer sessions to studio testing to network testing, and were "rooting for each other," so that helped their chemistry when they all booked the show together and went to Vancouver to film the pilot. They were shut down due to COVID after a few days. Then the cast bonded during the pandemic while waiting to find out if the show got picked up. 

-- Shannon said that people "love" Tzi Ma (Jin) and Tan Kheng Hua (Mei-Li). She loves that the Shen parents get their own storyline and own relationship. She also said that they were cast "before everyone." While she and the others were auditioning, they found out that Tzi and Kheng had been cast as the parents, and they were like, "oh, now we really have to book this... this show is legit."

-- Shannon said that in Season 1 Althea didn't really get any one-on-one moments with either parent because the show was understandably focusing on Nicky's relationships. However, she hopes to get that opportunity next season.

-- Shannon said that clothes are an "accessory" to how Althea is feeling. 

-- Shannon mentioned Episode 4's dinner scene that was superficially about a duck and a prenup, but was really about Althea's self-worth.

-- Shannon has a background in professional dance, which helps her in movement while blocking scenes as an actor. She said that she's a "very physical person."

-- Shannon said that she's learning to "trust" her instincts in portraying vulnerability in terms of Althea's sexual assault story.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Influencer Screening – Kung Fu Live Q&A
Geena Institute Screening   Jul 26, 2021

Our live Q&A with the Creators and select Cast Members of the CW’s hit show, Kung Fu.

PANELISTS:
Olivia Liang | Actor, Nicky Shen “Kung Fu”
Shannon Dang | Actor, Althea Shen “Kung Fu” 
Christina M. Kim | Executive Producer & Co-Showrunner
Robert Berens | Executive Producer & Co-Showrunner

MODERATOR:
Madeline Di Nonno | President and CEO, Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media 

Highlights:

-- Christina said that she had written a spec pilot about a Korean-American family that she sold, but it didn't make it to series. At the same time, Warner Bros. had wanted to remake the 1970's Kung Fu for a long time and came to Christina about developing the new series. However, she wanted to update the old Kung Fu series and have a largely Asian cast.

-- Christina said that she had a lot of "blind dates" with potential co-showrunners but felt a "cosmic connection" to Bob Berens. Bob took the meeting with Christina and loved the sizzle reel, and felt that he couldn't say 'no" to this series.

-- Christina said that, with everyone on the cast, she knew they were the right person for the role and she "knew it immediately when they walked into the room." She said that it started with Tzi Ma, who she met through a mutual friend at a party. It was during the pitch process. She gave him the "elevator pitch" and told him that he was who she was thinking of when writing the dad role, and he said, "I'll do it." When the series got picked up, she remembered Tzi saying that he'd do it, so they reached out to him. He immediately replied that he would do it and that he thought it was an important show. Christina said that when Olivia walked in, she thought, "That's Nicky." She also said that when Shannon "strutted in" wearing "this amazing jumpsuit," she won over the executives and was "hilarious" and "made the sides even funnier than they were."

-- Olivia said that she met Shannon in 2018 when they were both doing a "showcase for another network." Everyone was calling Shannon "Olivia" because they thought the two of them looked like sisters. They didn't know each other then, so they thought that people were being racist (not all Asians look alike). But then they met and Shannon understood that they did look alike. Olivia also mentioned Shannon's pink jumpsuit for her audition and related the following: they were waiting to test at the Warner Bros. Studio and there was this "very long hallway." Shannon was in the waiting room with a lot of other actors. She turned to her left because she heard this "stomping" down the hall. It was Shannon in this "fabulous hot pink jumpsuit and a white coat and a bag on her arm" and she was like, "Olivia!" (sweeping her arms wide). Shannon interjected that she thinks Olivia is "exaggerating" the arm sweep motion.

-- Olivia said that she and Shannon knew a lot of people in that final audition process because "the industry is so small in terms of the Asian actors." Olivia also said that it was like a "support system" because they were there to audition for an all-Asian cast series.

-- When she got the sides, Olivia was "skeptical" because it was titled Kung Fu. But then she saw that the entire cast was Asian, so she then thought it wasn't just about martial arts and that it wouldn't be just about high kicks and "hyahs!" She then read the pilot script and it was the first time she felt "truly seen."

-- Shannon wasn't that excited when she first found about a show called Kung Fu (because of the stereotyping) but when she asked her dad if he had heard of the 1970's show, Kung Fu, he said that he loved that show and that she had to book it. Then she saw that the whole cast list was Asian and thought, "I'll take any of them... I have to be a part of this."

-- Shannon first auditioned for Nicky because that was the role they were casting for: "Obviously, not right for her at all." Then the casting director said to her, "On second thought, here's her sister. Come back next week."  So she read the sides for Althea and felt so "in tune with her."

-- Shannon said that she did a film with Tzi Ma when she was around 11. He played her boyfriend's dad. So she has a photo that her parents took of her with Tzi in the trailer. In that photo, she had braces and was sitting in Tzi's lap. Shannon: "That photo ended up being on the Shen family fridge."

-- Shannon said that her grandfather was in the original 1970's version of Kung Fu: "He did a lot of background work because, back in the day, whenever they needed - Hollywood needed Asians for their films, they would just go to Chinatown. So there was my grandpa... He loves this full circle moment and he's really proud."

-- The moderator asked the showrunners about the social issues brought up by the show, like BLM and anti-Asian violence. Bob and Christina both responded to this question. Their writers room shared their real life, personal experience. These social issues were seen through the lens of the Shen family and their community. Olivia and Shannon also made some comments.

-- The moderator thought that "one of the best monologues" that she'd heard "in ages" was Althea's speech during the "duck scene" and that Shannon's performance of that monologue was "spectacular." Shannon was "nervous" when she was first told about Althea's sexual assault story because of the pressure to get it right. She mentioned that in the pilot, Althea was just the "lightheartedness" in the Shen family and the one "cracking jokes."

-- Since the debut of this Kung Fu series, Shannon and Olivia have both seen less stereotyped and "more nuanced" cast breakdowns for Asian-American female roles.

-- Christina said that they've injected only "an eyedropper of magic" in the show. But she and Bob both think that the show "really comes to life when it's about the family." She said that it's a "fun, balancing act" between the supernatural and the family. 

-- When asked about the fan response, Olivia thinks that it's been "good." She said that people are watching for the Shen family. Shannon agreed, adding that there's been good response to the "Shen siblings." Christina is happy to hear that people are watching the show with their families.

-- Bob said that their writers room is "reconvening" next week. He teased that "the danger is moving home" and that the Shen family will be drawn more closely into the "epic drama."

-- Christina and Bob think that the show will return with Season 2 in January or February.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Cast and Showrunners of ‘Kung Fu’ Recap Season 1’s Finale and Preview Season 2 in a Roundtable Chat
By Max Gao • 07/27/21 
https://observer.com/2021/07/kung-fu-season-1-finale-roundtable/ 

Observer: Olivia and Yvonne, how would you say the versions of Nicky and Zhilan that we met in the pilot compared to the ones that we see in the season finale?
Olivia Liang:
The episode is titled “Transformation,” and if you look back on the entirety of the season, you see Nicky start at one place in the monastery where a tragedy strikes and she loses her mentor and is just aimless and lost. She returns back to that place with so much more purpose, with so much more grit, and it’s really fun to see that.

And by the end of the season, we’ve seen Nicky be so headstrong and single-minded with Zhilan and getting the eight weapons and avenging Pei-Ling. But at the end of it, she just wants to get boba, and I love it. It’s nothing serious, it’s nothing dire, it’s not life-and-death. She is just ready to go and have a date with her boyfriend, and that felt like a nice thing to end the season on.

Yvonne Chapman: Well, Zhilan does not get boba. (Laughs.) With Nicky having this determination, grit and purpose at the end, for Zhilan, it’s the complete opposite. She had that at the beginning, and now at the end, she’s completely lost. She doesn’t know who she is or what she’s doing anymore. There were similar journeys, obviously, of what they were going after, but completely different conclusions for both of them.
Do you think a villain like Zhilan can still be redeemed?
Chapman:
Yeah, I think so! I think her motives were understandable, but her morals and means of accomplishing what she deems right are very misguided. And I hope that through her, even though what she’s done is arguably horrendous, we can show that people have the capacity to change their minds and hearts if shown grace and love.
What has it been like to work with a seasoned stunt team, who choreograph these fight sequences like little dances?
[Eddie] Liu:
When we first got to Vancouver last March to start the pilot, it was basically like kung fu camp. We each had various levels of experience, but regardless of what our background was, the stunt team just took us in and was able to teach us from the very beginning. They’ve been such wonderful instructors. The show’s literally called Kung Fu, so there’s immediately this sort of pressure to deliver on the action front. And at the same time, we’ve been able to, after certain episodes, find our own levels of personal style within our characters’ fighting styles. It’s been immensely hard work — but so rewarding. Every time we shoot a fight scene, it takes all day long, and everything’s crazy, and it seems like there’s no time to do anything [else]. But we always get it done, and I’m always looking around in the middle of a cyclone, and I’m like, “Holy crap, I’m having the time of my life here.”
Gavin, in the last two episodes of the season, a switch seems to go off in your character, Evan, after he discovers that the D.A. is working for Russell Tan. How would you say this affects his innate quest for justice, given what he wanted to do going into the justice system?
Stenhouse:
That’s a really interesting question. I think that, over the course of the first season, Evan’s holding onto his moral compass in terms of believing that he is in the right area to make a change from within the system. But you see, time after time, episode after episode, he just keeps getting repeatedly denied and increasingly frustrated. And at the same time, his best friend Nicky and Henry are getting stuff done in a grey area of the law, so he is confronted with that and realizing perhaps that the strategy he’s been taking up until now is not as effective as he would like. And I think, certainly, in this last episode, you really see a new life in Evan in terms of the possibility of where he could be going down the slippery slope, given the perspective that he has after hanging out with Nicky a lot.
Jon, when you compare where your character, Ryan, is at the start of the season to where he is at the end of the finale, it’s like night and day. He’s reconciled with Nicky (his closest confidante), he’s made peace with his parents, and he’s just gone through his first serious relationship. How does his relationship with Joe (Bradley Gibson) and reconciliation with his loved ones ultimately help him to discover his place in the world?
Jon Prasida:
Yeah, man, you’ve kind of hit the nail on the head there with that summary. It’s sort of come full-circle where Ryan is at peace. I really love how we did explore going through a relationship and then it ending as well — well, open ending, maybe? Who knows? I really like how Ryan got to experience all of that.
For the showrunners: Have we seen the last of Joe? Could he come back in the future?
Berens:
I’ll jump in and say that that was a case where we actually planned for Joe to run through the entire season as Ryan’s love interest. And it’s a case that, particularly under COVID with the two-week quarantine [in Canada for international travelers], [Bradley] was working on another show, and it just became a conflict where there was no way to bring him back, except for one episode. We were heartbroken to lose Bradley, because we loved him so much. But we kind of had two choices: (1) “Oh yeah, Joe’s just off screen for three episodes and the finale” or (2) lean into the fact that we had lost Bradley for the rest of the season and make a story out of it.
Shannon, there are many people in this Space who would consider you one of the breakout stars of 2021, with your beautifully layered portrayal of Althea, who presents as this larger-than-life older sister but is actually hiding this secret about her sexual assault. What has it meant to you to bring that heartbreaking but important storyline to life?
Shannon Dang:
Oh, wow. (Chokes up.) That’s news to me! Anyways, I think it’s weird to see I’m grateful, but when I was first approached about this subject matter, Christina and I had talked during the pilot, and that’s when she told me about where Althea’s character was going. At first, I was really nervous. Because, of course, with this important and sensitive subject matter, there can be a lot of pressure. We want to get it right. We want to speak truth to this subject. So I felt a lot of pressure, but I felt very inspired and motivated to tell this story. I’ve heard from some people that they really resonated with Althea’s story and her voice, so that means a lot to me, and to be able to give that to audiences is really rewarding.
How does Althea lean on the people in her life and build up the courage to speak out against her former boss?
Dang:
I actually love the contrast that Althea has with her sister Nicky. Nicky, throughout the whole season, is very brave and always uses her voice to stand up for justice and stand up for others. Meanwhile, her sister is not the same. She’s hiding this deep, dark secret and struggles to find her voice, so I think it was a really nice contrast to have Althea look to her sister for inspiration to find her voice and find that bravery.

In the finale, Althea marries her fiancé Dennis (Tony Chung), who is this seemingly perfect guy who, up until now, does not have any skeletons in his closet. Christina and Bob, what can you preview about Dennis’ arc in Season 2?
Kim:
We have a lot of ideas for Dennis. Dennis has a big, powerful extended family, and I think there’s a lot to explore there. They’re kind of a fun foil to the Shen family. But we love that Dennis is kind of perfect. There was a beauty to that because oftentimes, you don’t see that. But there are layers for sure to come.

Berens: I think we found something in Dennis in the way that Tony played him. Althea’s storyline was so dark and so raw, and it felt to us that having Dennis there as this balance and this wonderful rock for her, it helped to balance out the tone of her story this season. Certainly, there were conversations about a skeleton in his closet, but we couldn’t bring ourselves to do it. We sort of fell in love with their chemistry, and there are surprises ahead. But as you can see in the finale, he’s been looped into the status quo of Nicky and her siblings and what they’ve been up to. I think you can expect to see him participate in the Scooby gang shenanigans next season, so that’s one thing to look forward to.

Tony, do you think marriage — and this knowledge about the Shen family’s birthright — will change his dynamic with Althea at all?
Tony Chung:
Definitely. I think to what extent is what we’ll see in Season 2. I think it’s gonna be a whole thing to learn about this entire other side of the Shen family. It’ll be interesting to see how Dennis, this seemingly perfect guy, will react, because it’s definitely going to rock his world.
Tzi, you proudly hold the title of being Hollywood’s go-to Asian dad, but Jin is certainly different from the other father figures that you have portrayed in the past. How refreshing has it been for you to play such an affable and caring father and husband this time around, while also portraying Jin’s shortcomings?
Tzi Ma:
It was a conspiracy, that’s what it was. (Laughs.) It was something that was planned, discussed and executed with Christina, Bob and myself. We really wanted the near-perfect dad for Asian dads to look at and say, “You know what? We want to strive to be that dad.” It’s been a pleasure to explore Jin, and there’s so much more for us to really discover with the audience later on. I think it’s something that I’ve always really thought about doing because I’ve [played] so many [dads] lately that are so tormented, tortured and fractured and have relationships with their children that are not so great and somehow come out on the other side of the tunnel with all of these battle scars. I think, for Jin, that’s something that he needs to enjoy and embrace as a dad. It’s a little bit of a rejuvenation for myself [after] playing all of the other ones that have gone through so much.

Kheng, over the course of the season, we discover that Mei-Li and her daughter Nicky are more alike than they are different and there are some secrets that cause marital issues for Mei-Li and Jin. How do the events of this season ultimately influence the wife and mother that she becomes by the finale?
Kheng Hua Tan
: It’s very interesting how the finale is called “Transformation” because when I look at my own life and when I look at my time working on Kung Fu, I feel that there are parallel transformations that are going on. Being away from my own family and being a part of the Kung Fu family, these two aspects basically really, really transformed me as a person and they fed into one another. Every time I missed home, I would find a love that I found with the Kung Fu family and [it] made me understand Mei-Li’s heart better. My real life and my life as Mei-Li grew in tandem, and I am truly transformed after this entire period. And now that I’m back in Singapore in my real life, I am constantly reminded of how deep and wonderful this transformation is.
Olivia, Eddie and Gavin, it’s not very often that you get a love triangle that seems to have more mature conversations than unnecessary angst, especially on a network like The CW. Those relationships are certainly evolving and there’s no telling what next season could hold, but what was it like to toy with that storyline for so long and to have it come to a somewhat natural conclusion?
Liu:
Look, toxic masculinity is so passé.

Stenhouse: Who’s talking about conclusions here?

Liu: Oh, excuse me, excuse me. I have the mic now, Gavin. (Stenhouse laughs.) Thank you. Before we started actually filming these episodes, we knew that this was gonna be the triangle, and we would have to explore it, right? And I just love the road that we went down because we know that they’re good guys, they have the best of intentions, they really love Nicky and they care about her well-being. So to see a healthy version of that conflict was really refreshing for me, because we always get very toxic, yucky and messy situations. And it’s nice to see something much healthier for a change.
Liang: I’m uncomfy. Love triangles are new storylines for me as Olivia getting to play a character because the leads get the love triangle. So it was very refreshing to finally offer that an Asian woman could possibly be desirable in this way, and also have her own voice in it and make her own choices and not be so swayed by just good looks and charm.
Liang: I love that it naturally became a very mature ending with an asterisk to Evan and Nicky, and Nicky kind of exploring this new thing [with Henry], which has kind of been a theme for her this season. But we’ll see… It was fun to have two charming, young men vying for… Nicky. (Laughter.)

Stenhouse: Also, as fun as it was shooting those scenes, my favorite part was watching them back. The scene would play out and it would just be so cringe, and you’d identify with Nicky’s position and you’d just find yourself being like, Ooh, that’s awkward! And you’d always get the last little button at the end of the scene of Nicky’s face going, Okay, we’re doing this. (Liang laughs.)

Liu: Yeah, right before we went on the road trip, and then also the moment that Henry and Evan meet for the very first time, and you can just see in the way Olivia plays it where she’s just dying inside. It’s just so much fun.
Liang: Yeah, the first time Henry and Evan meet in the training room. That scene was actually a lot longer when we shot it, and the guys were playing with a lot of different ways of how to meet each other, and whether it would be like two machismo guys trying to size each other up, or if it was going to be very friendly. It was really fun to shoot that scene, because the awkwardness was quite palpable that day, and that scene went on forever, it felt like.

Stenhouse: Yeah, get Eddie and I peacocking at each other, and we’ll be there for days. (Laughter.)
What is one thing that you would like to see from your characters next season? Could some people get more into martial arts?
Stenhouse:
I want to see Evan get gritty and ambiguously law-unabiding.

Dang: I would love to see all of the Shen family get in on the action and become the Incredibles and call us the Shencredibles or something. (Laughter.)

Prasida: I second that!

Tan: Yes!

Dang: Speaking into existence…

Ma: I better start training now. Man, my aching back… (Laughs.)

Chung: I would love to see Dennis get involved with bitcoin and cryptocurrency. (Laughter.)

Liu: Speaking of skeletons in Dennis’ closet, I want to see him go big on dogecoin, and then it drops, and then he’s gonna start to wonder, Oh my God, is Althea gonna divorce [my] ass? (Laughter.)

Christina and Bob, you are slated to return in the 2021-22 midseason, and you’ve certainly left us with more questions than answers. We have the revelation that Kerwin (Ludi Lin) is still alive after being stabbed by Zhilan, Mei-Xue has a daughter that is “the key to everything,” and Russell Tan seems to be the new big bad for Nicky. What can you preview about the second season?
Berens:
The new status quo is very clear from our cliffhangers at the end of the season. The only thing I’ll tease is I think the new Nicky we see at the end of the episode, the happy Nicky, we want to live with that for a little bit before we pile on the trauma, conflict and drama. I can say that we’ll be starting on a light note for her as the dark forces start to align yourselves, so we want to see Nicky having some fun at the top of the season and really feeling her oats. Now that she’s healed her family and her siblings are sort of on her team, I think it’s going to be a fun, poppy start before it gets dark and dramatic. So that’s about all I can say right now.

Kim: Yeah, I think, for us, we just love you guys. Our cast is so wonderful. We want more family, more romance, way more action too, so more of the good stuff, and we’re excited that the story is a little bit more centered now, especially to begin. When Bob and I talked about Season 2, we felt very lucky in that it’s not an “oh God, what are we gonna do?” It’s like, “Oh, we have so much we have to figure out what we want to do out of all of these ideas.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

‘Kung Fu’ Co-Showrunner Robert Berens Understood the Assignment [Part 1]
Laura Sirikul   July 22, 2021
https://thenerdsofcolor.org/2021/07/22/kung-fu-co-showrunner-robert-berens-understood-the-assignment-part-1/ 

The Nerds of Color: That was an intense finale. There was just so much going on — Althea got married! Ryan is in charge of everything. Nicky and Zhilan go head-to-head, the Tan family — Kerwin’s reveal, and the truth about biàn gé. What made you come to these decisions when it came to Kerwin’s survival and Zhilan being arrested rather than killed?
Robert Berens:
I think there was always an open question. I think as far as Zhilan, [she] was one and done baddie at the start of the season. But I think, once we started really seeing what Yvonne [Chapman] [brought] to the role, the challenge of the finale was how do we find a satisfying combination of Nicky and Zhilan’s conflict as well as finding us as an opportunity to dig even deeper into Zhilan’s character, but to do it in such a way that left the door open for more appearances somewhere in the future. No spoilers as to hat those will look like exactly, but we knew we needed to keep her in the family. I think from a moral place, Nicky killing Zhilan, even with her hand forced — Zhilan is a killer — Nicky is not. At least at this point in our story, it feels like an important sort of moral [and] ethical distinction between the two of them as warriors to uphold. So we knew very early on that was not going to be the case of Nicky killing Zhilan in the finale.
And Kerwin Tan, aka Ludi Lin?
You just fall in love with actors and characters. In the case of Ludi Lin, I felt really lucky to get him for this meaty guest star [role] in the first season. His career is really taking off. We wanted to leave the door open for future stories with Ludi. When it came down to the finale, our original plan was probably to hold that little reveal for whenever we could schedule him in season two. There’s so much culmination of the first season that we got excited about sort of [giving hints] and teasing future stories, including the future story of Kerwin. We didn’t know we were gonna get Ludi to even be able to shoot for the last episode. Once [we found out that he] could for a day, we locked him down for the dream sequences with Zhilan, which was a really important piece we wanted. Once we had that, we’re like ‘well let’s just go for it. Let’s just show our hand here at the finale to tease people for the next season.
Everyone on the internet knows my love for Zhilan. She’s part of the hot villains discourse that people cheer for, but she becomes irredeemable after killing off everything and everyone she loves to get this revenge. I’m glad she wasn’t killed off and she’ll probably escape with her amazing skills, but is she truly redeemable or will we continue to see this trend from Zhilan of the femme fatale?
I think the bottom line is Zhilan is a killer. She has killed people. I don’t think we will ignore that aspect of her history when we see her again. But, I think the humanity that Yvonne brings to this character and, and the story we’re able to tell about her backstory and why she is the way she is. I think that there’s only more opportunities to keep turning cards with her character and revealing more and more.

We’ve had a lot of conversations in the writers room about Zhilan as a figure and sort of the archetype of the femme fatale, and the archetype of the dragon lady and those sorts of tropes. It’s always kind of our goal to both deliver a satisfyingly terrifying villain who [is] delicious, cutthroat, and ruthless in so many ways in context while also turning over cards and revealing just how human she is and how smart she is. And if you look at it one way, her mission is actually quite righteous, and I don’t think we’re done telling that story of coming to understand why she does what she does. I don’t think that there’s any going away from the fact that she’s not an evil or irredeemable person. Just exactly how we turn those cards and at what rate, in terms of any kind of future redemption arc is a spoiler and [it] remains to be seen as we start building season two.
The season finale also introduced us to a few new characters — including Nadia and THE DAUGHTER OF MEI-XUI who we only see the back of her head. Is Nadia Mei-Xui’s daughter who is pretending to be helpful to Evan to get in with Nicky? What can you tell us about these two new characters or one character?
I love [that] as a fascinating theory. I almost don’t want to comment in case we decide to go that route but — no. They’re two distinct characters, for sure. Nadia is a woman in Evans’ orbit who is keeping a secret that we will come to understand at the top of the next season. And I think with Mei-Xui’s daughter, the reason we only see the back [of her head] is because she remains to be cast. So, we will be casting that role shortly. But, she’s going to be a very pivotal figure next season.
The series is praised and loved by all types of audiences. We’ve seen the reaction from both Asian and non-Asian. With the series being the first predominantly Asian cast and Asian storyline, was there pressure to make the story relatable to both the Asian American community and the CW audience?
I think getting it right for the Asian audience was really the thing that consumed us the most. Christina and I both worked on a lot of white television. No shade. We were reasonably confident in our abilities to construct compelling stories and to get that stuff off the ground. [For the] first season, there was a lot of pressure.That’s why our policy was just so open. If there’s anything that’s bugging someone or if something isn’t feeling right, [they will] bring it to us. Let’s discuss it. Let’s make it right. Let’s make it as authentic as we can.

Team Henry. Team Evan. Team Zhilan. Who are YOU personally cheering on? 
I’m rooting for Team Nicky. I’m rooting for her to find what makes her happy and what fulfill her destiny. There’s a lot of stuff that Christina and I know what we want to do down the road and [for] future seasons. When it comes to what will fulfill our characters, that’s something that we really discover episode by episode. For Nicky’s endgame, it remains to be written for us as well as for the audience. For season one, we always knew that Nicky was going to end up with Henry. We were Team Henry for now. But, the question of what’s right for Henry and what’s right for Nicky long-term over many seasons or into their future, I think they’re going to face a lot of challenges. We’re going to explore aspects of their lives that might tear them apart. We will see. But, like I said, it’s something that we try to be open to so that we can sort of take this journey along with Nicky. 

‘Kung Fu’ Co-Showrunner Robert Berens Spills Some Details For Season Two [Part 2]
Laura Sirikul   July 25, 2021
https://thenerdsofcolor.org/2021/07/25/kung-fu-co-showrunner-robert-berens-spills-some-details-for-season-two-part-2/ 

The Nerds of Color: Of course, I know you guys are in the writer’s room going over the next season. What can you hint that will be discussed — we already know about Althea’s case against her former boss and Mei-Xui’s daughter, but it seems like everything else is hunky-dory with the rest of the family?
Robert Berens:
We wanted to tell a story of Nicky’s homecoming. Our mission going into season two is to honor the fact that Nicky has repaired her relationship with her family. So I think what you’ll be seeing when we come back at the top of next season is a family that is healed, that is love, that is loving, and is actually getting a chance to have some fun. But, let’s just say that their fun can’t last forever and new conflicts will emerge. New threats will appear on the horizon. Mr. Tan hints [this] at the end of the finale. This story is not over. The story of the dangers of the world posed by this [“biàn gé”] energy is not over.

You see at the end in San Francisco with ‘biàn gé’ flower is definitely a tease that this threat is going to be more local in season two. Our story of villainy and our mythic quest is not going to happen across the continent. It’ll be occurring inside San Francisco. And, as far as a teaser goes, our intention moving into season two is to dig a little bit into the history of San Francisco Chinatown and [how] it will be connected to the mythology as well. We’re very excited because I think we had a season one that had a bifurcation between our mystery and our family story that allowed us to build out these characters so you can really fall in love with them. But now we have an opportunity to integrate the family story in the mystery a little more, and it’s opening up a lot of new possibilities for us.
Obviously, Nicky is with Henry, which a lot of the viewers love. But, I know you guys are going hard on making Evan this sweet, lovable guy we all want to cheer for. But, there would be no drama like a CW drama without adding the love triangle back into the picture. Will there be any attempts to break up Hicky and add some fuel to the Nevan fire or are Hicky endgame? 
I think there’s gonna be some interesting dynamics between Henry, Evan, and Nicky in season two. I’ll say that certainly at the top of the season, Nicky and Henry will be together. Everything was so hurdling in the last three episodes and this story was really ramping up and sort of consuming all their focus. At least at the beginning of this season, we’ll see what their relationship is actually like. They’ve had this project together that consumed them so completely. What is the normal life of Nicky and Henry as young lovers? What does that look like? What sort of understandings and misunderstandings are they having at the beginning of this relationship? So, we’re excited to dig into that at the top of it. As far as Evan is concerned, Nicky and him will always have a very special deep connection, but I don’t think [they] will be going back to that love triangle. There will be romantic complications and unexpected romantic complications on the horizon for all of our characters, but that’s all I can say for now.

We hear so much about the past from our characters. We’ve seen flashbacks of Jin and Mei-Li and Zhilan and Pei-Ling. With Dennis being a mathlete, Nicky and Evan being childhood sweethearts, and Ryan dealing with his sexuality growing up, are more flashbacks planned for our characters?
It was always in the mix in our conversations in the [writers] room. There was always a plan to actually hit that missing chapter when Nikki decided to go to China when she agreed to take Mei-Li’s advice [to visit China] to really tease out all of those dynamics. The truth is the story kind of took on a life of its own and we didn’t end up doing that. It’s something that we are still interested in doing, but I will say a lot of what we set out to do in the finale was to really re-anchor the show in the present tense.

So, where the first season really deals with a lot of the fallout of events that preceded the pilot, our intention in season two is to really build present tense drama inside Nicky’s life as we know it and as the audience has experienced it over the course of the first season. That’s why fresh conflicts will emerge between her and her family but we really wanted to resolve at least those core conflicts and really [build] Mei-Li and Jin’s relationship; Mei-Li’s Relationship with Nicky; Nicky’s relationship with her siblings; and, her guilt over having left [Evan] in the lurch for those three years.We really wanted to bring that to a head and sort of create a fresh new start for the family at the start of season two.
I want to talk about Dennis (Tony Chung) because there has to be something wrong with him. He’s too perfect. He learned Mandarin!? He is so understanding and perfect. There has to be a reason why Dennis noted Althea’s app idea and I’m wondering if it’s because he’s going to steal it. Are we going to get some Dennis drama next season?
Will Dennis be having more drama next season? Absolutely. In our first season, Althea had such an intense story and journey and there were early conversations about Dennis. Dennis could have a dark side. Although I think we have some exciting layers to reveal to his character next season, I do think he falls, at least presently, under the umbrella of the Shens. He’s a new member of the Shen family. There’s something about the core decency of all of [the] family, even with their problems and secrets and flaws. I think that does extend to Dennis who really is as dreamy and perfect as he seems.

One of the reasons why we’re excited about letting him in on the Scooby gang dynamic of the Shen siblings is so that we can integrate him into stories a little bit more. So. he is not just off on his own island as much as he was in the first season. I think you’ll be seeing some new shades and dimensions to him.

Any chance for a Zhilan/Nicky thing between the two? 
I will deflect that by saying that, though I think Nicky has maybe gotten a little glimpse of Zhilan’s humanity, but Zhilan still murdered [Nicky’s] sifu. So I don’t see her viewing Zhilan in romantic terms anytime in the near future. We love Olivia and Yvonne together. They’re fantastic performers and really a lot of the joy for us and breaking the finale was finally getting to set them [up] where they could face off with each other. We could see those sparks and really set up the duality between them, especially that dreamscape plan. It was just a pure pleasure.

Shannon [Dang] brought up that if she could have her own episode, she’d have a musical episode. Would that ever be a conversation to be had?
No comment. Maybe. No comment on that one. I was there when [writer] Robbie Thompson did his musical episode of Supernatural. I’m a big fan of the Buffy musical. I think those are cases where there’s an element of the supernatural to account for why everyone is singing. We don’t have a pitch for that yet, but I know it would terrify some of our cast and delight some of our cast. It just depends on who we want to reward or punish when we decide if we’re going to ever pull the trigger on that. Everyone is so talented. One thing I can tease is that there will be a little dancing happening in season two. I think that’s as far as we’ll go. But, Christina [does] talk about wanting to see the kids cut loose a little bit and actually enjoy their 20s. So, it is our intention to have a little fun night out — a little dancing — happening on the show. When we’ve got Shannon Dang in your cast, she’s a former professional dancer, so there’s definitely opportunities to do some fun stuff with them.

Edited by tv echo

Olivia Liang will be among the CW stars participating in this campaign...

The CW Launches New, Nonpartisan Initiative to Support and Protect the Freedom to Vote
August 6, 2021
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2021/08/06/the-cw-launches-new-nonpartisan-initiative-to-support-and-protect-the-freedom-to-vote-132213/20210806cw01/ 

August 6, 2021 (Burbank, CA) ─ On the 56th anniversary of the monumental Voting Rights Act of 1965, The CW is launching a new, nonpartisan initiative entitled "Freedom to Vote," to help promote eligible voter protection and remove barriers to voting, it was announced today by Mark Pedowitz, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, The CW. The effort builds on the network's 2020 "Vote Actually" campaign that helped to encourage millions of young people to be ready to vote and make their voices heard.

The new CW campaign is being developed in partnership with nonpartisan, nonprofit organizations including the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law, dedicated to securing equal justice for all through the rule of law; and Vote.org, the largest voting registration and get-out-the-vote technology platform in America.

Among The CW talent featured in the multiplatform campaign, which kicks off today, include Sam Adegoke ("Dynasty"), Tala Ashe ("DC's Legends of Tomorrow"), Brec Bassinger ("Stargirl"), Coby Bell ("Walker"), Kaylee Bryant ("Legacies"), Melonie Diaz ("Charmed"), Liz Gillies ("Dynasty"), Grant Gustin ("The Flash"), Camrus Johnson ("Batwoman"), Olivia Liang ("Kung Fu"), Nicole Kang ("Batwoman"), Nicole Maines ("Supergirl"), Jeanine Mason ("Roswell, New Mexico"), Perry Mattfeld ("In The Dark"), Kennedy McMann ("Nancy Drew"), Candice Patton ("The Flash"), Danielle Rose Russell ("Legacies"), Azie Tesfai ("Supergirl"), Elizabeth Tulloch ("Superman & Lois"), Anjelika Washington ("DC's Stargirl"), and Karimah Westbrook ("All American"). The new "Freedom to Vote" PSAs -- which encourages viewers to get involved at Vote.org/TheCW -- will be broadcast during the network's primetime line up, across its digital platforms and apps, as well as on its social media outlets.

Edited by tv echo
19 hours ago, Camera One said:

The actress is great, and has a lot of style, but I have mixed feelings about shows bringing in popular villains and then forcing them into contrived situations where they interact with the protagonists.

Honestly, I feel like Zhilan has more story (possibilities) with the Tans, so hopefully they don't do too much of that.

This Variety panel included Christina M. Kim (go to link to watch video)...

Christina M. Kim, creator and showrunner of The CW’s “Kung Fu,” said her first job in a writer’s room was on the hit series “Lost,” and how one of the series’ stars, Daniel Dae Kim, became a mentor and influence. “We struck up a friendship and he’s just been wonderful in terms of navigating Hollywood, which is very, very tricky,” she revealed. “He fights for so much. He fights for representation. He fights for equal pay. He’s pretty fearless in that. So he’s kind of been like my guru and I’m very appreciative of that.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Blu-ray/DVD of Season 1 will be released on Nov. 2...

Kung Fu Season 1 Deleted Scene Shows Early Chemistry Between Nicky & Evan [EXCLUSIVE]
BY BRITT RIVERA    October 28, 2021
https://screenrant.com/kung-fu-season-1-deleted-scene-olivia-liang/ 

Screen Rant has an exclusive deleted scene from the home release of Kung Fu season 1 featuring Nicky and Evan. The CW series is a modern adaptation of the 1970s show of the same name. The original Kung Fu starred David Carradine as the Monk Kwai Chang Caine who traveled through the American Old West looking for his brother. The CW series premiered in April of 2021. In May of 2021, Kung Fu was renewed for season 2.
Watch an exclusive deleted scene from the pilot episode of Kung Fu. The video shows Nicky ordering lunch for Evan (Gavin Stenhouse) who tells her that he is having his FBI friend look into Zhilan. Even this early in the series, it's easy to see the chemistry between the characters and how they enjoy helping each other. See it below:
The deleted scene is part of the bonus features included in Kung Fu: The Complete First Season. All 13 episodes of the action-adventure series are currently available on digital and will be available on Blu-ray for $24.99 and DVD for $19.99 on November 2. Kung Fu: The Complete First Season includes deleted scenes like the one seen above as well as the featurette Bond of Honor, a behind-the-scenes look at Nicky's journey and the steps the producers took to break the stereotypes from the original series.

Edited by tv echo

Watch Tensions Rise Between Nicky, Pei-Ling And Zhilan In Kung Fu Deleted Scene [VIDEO]
By Samantha LaBat   Oct 29, 2021
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/watch-tensions-rise-between-nicky-pei-ling-and-zhilan-in-kung-fu-deleted-scene 

In the pilot episode of Kung Fu, the series establishes a strong, meaningful relationship between Olivia Liang’s Nicky and Vanessa Kai’s Pei-Ling. Nicky first meets Yvonne Chapman’s Zhilan when she witnesses the murder of Pei-Ling and then follows and duels Zhilan in an attempt to avenge her mentor. This sets up Zhilan as the villain of the series, but it turns out there was an alternate introduction to this character. Check out the deleted scene below.
As seen in the deleted scene, Zhilan shows up making demands of Pei-Ling, who stands her ground and refuses to give in. Nicky approaches, sensing the tension, and asks what’s wrong. Zhilan takes a dig at Nicky being American. Pei-Ling reaffirms to Zhilan that her answer is no, and she is not intimidated by Zhilan’s power. Zhilan leaves, and Pei-Ling says the Mandarin word biange for the first time. Nicky asks what it means, and what Zhilan wants, and the clip ends. 

Had the showrunners chosen to go with this introduction to Zhilan, a few things would change. First, Nicky would have recognized Zhilan when seeing her fight Pei-Ling and then chasing after her. Second, the audience would be clued in earlier to the deeper relationship between Zhilan and Pei-Ling, which is not revealed until later in the series. Third, this opening provides a different perspective on the first time Nicky hears the word “biange” which can be translated in English to “to change” or “to transform”. 

The way the pilot plays out in actuality is more exciting as it’s more action-based, and that’s probably what the team at the CW was going for since they really need to grip viewers in the pilot. The deleted scene above is much more emotional, and while the audience can feel the tension between the three women, it doesn’t move the story as quickly. Nicky and Zhilan meeting for the first time in an action sequence works very well, but it’s still cool to see another way Zhilan could’ve been introduced as the series villain. 

Fans can see more deleted scenes and a Bond of Honor featurette when Warner Bros. Home Entertainment releases Kung Fu: The Complete First Season on DVD and Blu-ray November 2, 2021. ....

Edited by tv echo

Kung Fu Season 1 DVD review: What to expect on the release
by Alexandria Ingham   1 day ago
https://amazonadviser.com/2021/11/02/kung-fu-season-1-dvd-review/ 

The complete first season is available to purchase now, released today, Tuesday, Nov. 2. All 13 episodes are included on the boxset.
There is a selection of deleted scenes available only on the DVD and Blu-ray releases. Our sister site, Precinct TV, had an exclusive of one of the deleted scenes, which features Nicky’s martial arts skills.

There’s also a featurette called Bond of Honor. Honor is important within the Chinese culture, and it played an important role within the series.

Kung Fu Season 1 deleted scene exclusive: Nicky stops a protester
by Alexandria Ingham  1 day ago
https://precincttv.com/2021/11/01/kung-fu-season-1-deleted-scene-exclusive/ 

Kung Fu Season 1 deleted scene

The scene comes from Season 1, Episode 5. It’s when there are protests in the streets, but things have the potential for going on. A man who looks like a protester reaches down to pick up a rock.

It’s clear that he wants to cause fear and damage. Is he going to attack another protester or to cause damage to buildings around? Nobody has the chance to find out thanks to Nicky.

Nicky steps in to stop the protester. You can take a look at the full clip below.

Edited by tv echo

‘Kung Fu’: Season 1 Blu-Ray Review – Reimagining Of Classic Series Is An Under-The-Radar Treat
Dillon Gonzales     November 18, 2021
https://geekvibesnation.com/kung-fu-season-1-blu-ray-review-reimagining-of-classic-series-is-an-under-the-radar-treat/ 

The typical CW viewer who checks out the new martial arts action-drama Kung Fu is unlikely to have much familiarity with the original 1970s David Carradine (Kill Bill) vehicle of the same name about a Shaolin monk who travels through the Old West and encounters adversaries on a weekly basis. This is perfectly fine, as this new version of the show is billed as a reimagining and could scarcely be further away from the original. The Kung Fu of today is set in modern times and is processed through the lens of the highly successful Greg Berlanti, one of the main forces propping up The CW with his stable of Arrowverse shows. Together with creator Christina M. Kim, the pair present a female-led adventure story which serves as a camouflage for the fact the series is actually a heartwarming family drama with an emphasis on Eastern philosophy. While the title of the show is generic, the content is quietly revolutionary in the way it presents a distinct Asian American story with an ensemble almost entirely of Asian descent (not to mention the largely Asian creative team and crew). This show is not just a win for representation, but an argument for allowing specific cultures to tell their own stories. 
This is way too much for one episode to handle, and for that reason the initial episode is one of the weakest. The show soon settles into its groove over the course of this gently paced 13-episode season. The show functions in the same capacity as Arrow in many respects with the return of a heroic figure trying to pick up the pieces of their old life while cleaning up their city with the skills they learned in the interim. Many episodes can be boiled down to a more case-of-the-week type narrative; Nicky helps a homeless girl who’s afraid of her mom’s abusive boyfriend, Nicky and crew assist with a Black Lives Matter protest, etc. This never completely goes away, but the backstory of Nicky, her family, and her shifu get more enthralling as you gain more pieces of the puzzle. There are thrilling moments of action in every episode, but anyone who knows anything about martial arts knows that fighting is a purposeful action only to be engaged in when necessary, a philosophy which this show mostly adapts. The elements of spiritualism are handled with respect for the culture from which it stems. 

In this debut season, the show does not completely avoid some of the issues that you would expect from a CW series. The relationship drama between Nicky and the men in her life occasionally feels tacked-on just to appeal to a certain demographic. There are moments that sizzle, but typically other aspects of the series are more engaging. Some of the dialogue can also be a bit clunky when it comes to discussing social issues such as anti-Asian hatred and the #MeToo movement, but more often than not it blends in well with the overall narrative. As the season goes along, the characters become more refined and relationships present with a greater depth than the early episodes might lead you to believe. With some of these growing pains falling away and certain COVID filming restrictions loosening up, the second season has an opportunity to continue something surprisingly special. 
Kung Fu takes a classic concept and gives it new life with a contemporary story that balances episodic storytelling with an overarching narrative well. If you go into this series thinking about how great it is that the majority of characters are of Asian descent it might stand out more, but more likely you will be left thinking how incredible everyone is without regards to race. This series offers up big emotional payoffs alongside the action scenes that provide a nice jolt. Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has released a Blu-Ray featuring a strong A/V presentation and a couple of decent supplements. This first season evolved quite nicely from the initial messy episode, so we look forward to seeing where the second season takes us. Recommended

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Female Stunt Performers From ‘Hawkeye’ to ‘Kung Fu’ Talk Kicking Butt and Trouncing Stereotypes on TV
By Whitney Friedlander    Dec 13, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/features/hawkeye-kung-fu-stunt-performers-stereotypes-1235128318/ 

Also, stresses Tammy Nera, who is the double for Olivia Liang ’s lead on “Kung Fu,” the trickle- down effect of Hollywood greenlighting projects with more racially diverse characters means that “it’s opening up opportunities for female stunt performers of varying ethnicities to have the opportunity to double leads and to double big characters on TV shows and movies.”
A spokesperson for SAG-AFTRA tells Variety that the proportion of female-identifying stunt performers in the union hasn’t grown that much in recent years. At the time of the SAG-AFTRA merger in 2012, stunt performers who identified as women were at 19% — however, since 2012, the number of female stunt performers who are members of SAG-AFTRA is up by 93%.

But it also seems like what’s expected from female performers has become more inclusive.
Nera got into the job after a decade as a professional dancer. Now as a stunt performer with a passion for wire work and training in martial arts, she says she’d actually be fine with people giving “Kung Fu” star Liang credit for her work.

“Secretly, that would be kind of cool if everyone thinks that Olivia is doing it,” she laughs. “That means her and I are slotting in and out and switching out seamlessly.”

Edited by tv echo

‘Kung Fu’ Fights for a New Era of Representation
Screen, TV   January 5, 2022 by Cu Fleshman
https://charactermedia.com/kung-fu-fights-for-a-new-era-of-representation/ 

Between the series’ adrenaline-pumping martial arts showdowns and frank portrayals of crucial social issues, there’s a little something for everyone. That’s thanks in large part to showrunner Christina M. Kim. Known for her work producing and writing on shows like “Blindspot” and “Lost,” Kim knew she had a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to update a beloved classic for today’s viewers. “It was a little bit daunting, because ‘Kung Fu’ is iconic and has a special place in so many people’s hearts,” she says. “So, I wanted to do it right.”
That complex history has made the cast and creators all the more excited to do right by “Kung Fu,” recreating the series as it should have been all along. Although Liang didn’t grow up watching the original on TV, she’s nevertheless honored to bring the show up to date. “I’m really proud that we are part of pushing the needle forward,” she says. “The cast and I talk about it all the time; the historical nature of this is not lost on us. It’s exciting that we get to present Asian and Asian American characters that live full lives, who fight with their parents and get annoyed about their jobs, and we get to watch them be in relationships and figure out their purpose.”

These kinds of storylines might be a given in other shows, but they’re part of what sets “Kung Fu” apart from even other Asian American-led content. Although on-screen representation has seemingly improved in recent years, a recent analysis from the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative puts the amount of speaking API film characters at a mere 5.9%, meaning it’s still much more difficult than you’d think to find nuanced portrayals of Asian Americans and their families in mainstream media. So, to craft authentic storylines, the series’ creators set out to assemble a writers’ room that’s just as diverse as the cast list. “One of the most exciting things about creating the show was being able to staff it,” says Kim. “Having women in places of power is really important. Half of our staff is women, which was very important to me and sadly is still rare. They’ve been bringing wonderful stories of their backgrounds and growing up to our storytelling.”
“Kung Fu”’s commitment to cultural accuracy especially shines through in the show’s family relationships. Although Caine embodied the lone wolf archetype, Nicky frequently turns to her supportive younger brother Ryan (Jon Prasida) and tech-savvy sister Althea (Shannon Dang) for help in her crime-fighting escapades. And as with any real-life Asian American family, it’s not all roses. Nicky struggles to reconnect with her dad, while her conflicts with her mother, Tan’s Mei-Li Shen, determine many of her choices—including the fateful decision to join a Shaolin monastery in the first place.

The complicated family dynamics form the cornerstone of the series, even more so than its namesake martial arts. “The show is a little bit different than what you might expect when you hear the title,” Kim says. “There’s a lot more to it than just kung fu. This is really an uplifting family drama, of course with kick-ass martial arts in it, but really it’s about this family and Nicky’s journey.”
It’s not surprising, then, that the cast and creators share a common goal. They of course want viewers from all backgrounds to enjoy watching the show, but more importantly, they’re looking ahead to the future. “I hope that “Kung Fu” opens the doors to many, many more projects with Asian actors,” Kim says. “It’s an amazing moment to be a part of. Having an Asian American lead and an Asian American family on network TV is a big deal, and it’s a step in the right direction.”

Also, FYI:
The CW Majority Stake Sale Explored By WarnerMedia & ViacomCBS; Nexstar Among Suitors
By Nellie Andreeva    January 5, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/01/the-cw-sale-warnermedia-viacomcbs-nexstar-1234905157/ 

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2

Kung Fu got 2 Critics Choice Super Awards nominations....

Nominations Announced for the 2nd Annual Critics Choice Super Awards
February 22, 2022 
http://criticschoice.com/2022/02/nominations-announced-for-the-2nd-annual-critics-choice-super-awards/ 

(Los Angeles, CA – February 22, 2022) – The Critics Choice Association (CCA) announced today the nominees for the 2nd Annual Critics Choice Super Awards, honoring the most popular, fan-obsessed genres across both television and movies, including Superhero, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Horror, and Action. Winners will be revealed on Thursday, March 17.
TELEVISION NOMINATIONS FOR THE 2ND ANNUAL CRITICS CHOICE SUPER AWARDS

BEST ACTION SERIES
9-1-1
Cobra Ka
Heels
Kung Fu
Lupin
Squid Game
BEST ACTRESS IN AN ACTION SERIES
Angela Bassett – 9-1-1
Kim Joo-ryoung – Squid Game
HoYeon Jung – Squid Game
Queen Latifah – The Equalizer
Olivia Liang – Kung Fu
Mary McCormack – Heels

Edited by tv echo

Season 2 preview: 'Olivia Liang Talks Season 2, Exploring Stories About 'What It Means To Be in an Asian Community''

“Our writers have leaned into things that we as a show are uniquely able to talk about being a predominantly Asian cast,” she says. “They’ve definitely mined a lot of rich story out of what it means to be in an Asian community, to be part of San Francisco.”

Among those upcoming stories is one centered on Sebastian (JB Tadena), Harmony Dumplings’ charming new chef who catches Ryan’s eye.

“[JB is] Filipino, and he represents another part of the Asian community,” Liang adds. “His character’s introduction opens up the world for us, to more Asian American identities, so I’m very excited for us to go down that path.”

Shannon Dang profile at W magazine: https://www.wmagazine.com/culture/shannon-dang-kung-fu-season-2-interview

“From the very beginning, I wanted to make her wardrobe match her essence. Althea is very fun, light, youthful, flirty, bubbly, and a little bit s******, so I wanted the clothes to reflect that,” Dang explains. “I never have her wearing black. Just like her personality, she takes up space. I definitely take a lot more risk with Althea’s costumes than I do in real life.”

“Our first two episodes [of season 2] take place during Lunar New Year festivities in San Francisco, and you get to see Chinatown light up, the parades, the dragon dances, the food, the red envelopes, and how important family is during this time,” Dang says. “I think a lot of Asian Americans are going to have a sense of pride and enjoyment watching these episodes, and non-Asian Americans are going to just see it as really cool.”

(edited)

Featurette with the cast previewing the new season:

Ha! It looks like Henry might actually have an apartment this season!

Edited by Trini
updated link

Interview with Olivia Liang: 'How Olivia Liang Fostered a Community on 'Kung Fu''

excerpts:

How does it feel to be on the verge of the new season of Kung Fu?

It feels crazy because we're actually right in the middle of shooting the finale of this season. So it's pretty wild that we're shooting the finale while we promote the first episode. It's like we're at the end, but we're starting at the beginning as well. So it feels very surreal. The cast and I keep saying like, “We still can't believe that we're making a show,” because we've been doing it in this pandemic bubble for two years. It's always a pinch-me moment.

What can fans look forward to from Season 2, especially from Nicky’s story arc?

I'm super excited about how we've upped the ante in the fights this season. That's something that I hope audiences enjoy from Season 2. And then as far as Nicky’s concerned, it's been really interesting to play her this season because we introduce her cousin. And her cousin is in grave danger because of Russell Tan, and Nicky has to start toeing the line of good and bad and right and wrong. So it's been really fun to watch Nicky go through the gray area of things and maybe be a little bit in over her head, make some questionable choices and it's just very relatable on a human level.

Profile of Vanessa Yao (Mia): 'Vanessa Yao On Joining Season 2 of the CW’s ‘Kung Fu’'

“We knew this role was very important to season 2, and we saw many tapes, but what really struck us about Vanessa’s audition was that she was able to be very strong,” said Christina M. Kim, the creator and co-showrunner of Kung Fu. “We needed her to be a strong character that could go up against Nicky, but we had written scenes that showed her vulnerable side, and there was something just so raw and emotional that she could tap into right away. And when we saw those scenes, we just knew she was the one.”

Season 1 gag reel/bloopers here: https://www.etonline.com/kung-fu-cast-gets-a-case-of-the-giggles-on-set-watch-the-bloopers-exclusive-180885

Also some quotes from Olivia Liang about her role in the new season.

Showrunners interview: 'Kung Fu Showrunners Tease Season 2’s ‘Propulsive’ Twists & Turns'

excerpts:

In the case of Mia, you have someone who was trained to be special at a very young age but with a very different upbringing, whereas Nicky has the benefit of having a big, loving family. Mia lived isolated. She was alone and lived on the run with her mother. It awakens a lot in Nicky in the sense of wanting for Mia what she had. The challenge for the season is Mia does not necessarily come willingly into that fold. Nicky feels the imbalance and injustice of getting what Mia didn't get because she wants to give it to her and protect her with the safety that she got to grow up with but it's not as easy as it seems.

Having worked with the main cast for over a year and learning their capabilities, what directions did you want to push them in going into Kung Fu Season 2?

Berens: I think it was realizing everyone could do anything. [laughs] It was about making the season a piece for all of our performers. Everybody got a chance to do comedy and some gut-wrenching drama. We got to run everybody through a whole range of stories and colors to play. That was really the delight of this season, developing a story that could serve all of those shades and everything our cast can bring. We knew we wanted to start Nicky and her family from a lighter place but we talked to our cast at the end of the season and got some ideas about what they wanted to do.

We have a whole range of delightful antagonists, who are more than just stock villains, in Kerwin, Juliette, and Zhilan this season. We got to play with those dynamics as Russell gets to loom really large as this big, mysterious antagonist through the season. It's the whole season's ride to peel back those layers and get to what his ultimate goal for the city and world is. I think audiences will be excited and surprised when they get to the answers behind Russell Tan.

There will be a Kung Fu cast panel at this year's WonderCon...

WonderCon, April 1-3, 2022 (Anaheim, CA)
https://comic-con.org/wca/programming-schedule 

Kung Fu Special Video Presentation and Q&A
... Sunday, April 3, 2022
... 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM

... Join the cast (participants to be determined) for a special video presentation, followed by a Q&A as they discuss the thrilling new season. Christina M. Kim and Robert Berens are co-showrunners and serve as executive producers alongside Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter, Martin Gero, and David Madden. Kung Fu stars Olivia Liang, Tzi Ma, Kheng Hua Tan, Shannon Dang, Jon Prasida, Eddie Liu, Gavin Stenhouse, Vanessa Kai, Tony Chung, and Yvonne Chapman. From Berlanti Productions and Quinn’s House in association with Warner Bros. Television and inspired by the original series created by Ed Spielman, Kung Fu airs Wednesdays at 9/8c on The CW or stream for free on The CW app. Catch up on season one on HBO Max.

There will also be a TV Guide fan favorites panel comprised of WB TV showrunners, but the participating showrunners have not yet been identified:

TV Guide Magazine’s 2022 Fan Favorites: Warner Bros. Television Showrunners Edition
... Sunday, April 3, 2022
... 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM

The publication that loves TV and the studio that loves to make TV team up to bring together an epic group of showrunners from some of your favorite series. From Warner Bros. Television Group, panelists will swap behind-the-scenes stories, dish about everything that goes into putting these shows on the air, and tease what’s to come. TV Guide Magazine senior writer Damian Holbrook moderates.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Interview: 'Kee Chan on Finding Humanity in the Villain'

“Russell is a very compelling character,” Chan tells me over Zoom. “He’s thoughtful. He’s manipulative. He’s mesmerizing. He’s vulnerable. He is also very ambitious. However, underneath all of that, he has a need to be wanted.”

ETA: He gives some interesting teases and info for the rest of the season.

Edited by Trini

The CW’s The Flash (600K/0.1) rebounded a bit from last week’s series-low audience, while Kung Fu (440K/0.1) lost a conspicuously large chunk of its season premiere audience. (TV Line)

I'm a little worried.  Why are TV viewers so fickle.  Maybe some people don't realize the show is back?  But it's down from last week.  

18 hours ago, Camera One said:

I'm a little worried.  Why are TV viewers so fickle.  Maybe some people don't realize the show is back?  But it's down from last week.  

I'm disappointed in the drop too. Because, so far, this season may be better than the first.

Interviews with Ludi Lin (Kerwin):

https://www.cbr.com/kung-fu-ludi-lin-season-2-interview/

Kerwin provides a window into the Tan family and their empire. This season you get to play off Kee Chan as Kerwin's father Russell and Annie Q. as Kerwin's sister Juliette. How is it working with them?

It's super fun because they are interesting people and I think that comes across on-screen. Kee's eyes and features... He's got this mysterious way about him. He's just like that in real life. He's so inscrutable and you're never sure what he's thinking. [laughs] Annie plays my older sister in the series. She's so small in real-life but her screen presence is very large, as you see in the first few episodes. It's really fun playing with them. Annie is fluent in Mandarin and so am I so, a lot of times, we'll interject in Mandarin really naturally so the whole working relationship flows very nicely.

https://www.nerdsandbeyond.com/2022/03/24/interview-ludi-lin-talks-kung-fu-season-2-exclusive/

Ludi Lin: I think I can I can sum up Kerwin’s motivations pretty simply, in seven words: Kerwin hates for the sake of love. Going off of that, it’s pretty natural that we would gain insight — and I’m really happy that we get a deeper insight into Kerwin’s complex character. Because we actually get to explore the Tan family a lot more in season two. I myself think it’s really hard to understand a person without understanding their family, their childhood, their attachments, how they’ve grown up. And I think Kerwin, how he’s grown up, he’s got a very skewed view of love, and how he attaches to a person, to the people that are closely related to him. So that ultimately culminates in what Kerwin’s journey is.