Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Positive Thinking

• Start Topic

Mumford returns to work a 15-year-old cold case that holds a personal connection and leads to the discovery of a dangerous drug ring. Hondo is leery of Leroy’s motives when he discovers the recent parolee is seeking funding for a new business venture with his son, Darryl.

letter-d.jpg

Well, there were a few hints of magic tonight. Hondo and Leroy definitely get an A, and Hicks was a real joy in interrogation.

I'm still confused by the lack of hugging but the show can have a tackle scene...but, whatever.

Oh, and Christina and Tan seemed to have some chemistry together. Not sure what to think of that.

It was also fun to see Jack Mumford again. Peter Onorati just seemed to have some kind of magic to him.

That's about it, though.

Christina is no fun spiraling out of control. I'm guessing she's becoming a drunkard now too.

I also felt tonight's case ticked off too many of the "make the victim sympathetic" boxes that Hollywood tends to go to.

You know. Young. A druggie trying to get clean. A girl. Someone with a personal connection to a main character.

Of course, also an "innocent girl" who "had it coming" because she dared to try to "change" the "bad boy".

Whatever, I guess.

I'm just glad the case is resolved and they won't be going to this well in a future episode, as was teased just before the final break.

We don't need two recurring bland baddies. One is bad enough.

So that's that. Good news is that, according to Kenny Johnson's Twitter account, Luca is due back next week. In full. Maybe that will help a show that sorely needs it.

• Love 3

Things I was glad about:

1. This wasn't a "Mumford spirals into a long and sad descension into depression and being reckless."

2. That he didn't wreck the case by being overenthusiastic. I was worried that when he went to see the mom, he'd find out something, and go off on his own.

3. That the case was wrapped up for real, and that they found a way to keep him busy and stick around, which is great.

Things I wasn't glad about:

1. I was hoping this wasn't the beginning of Christina's long and sad descension into alcohol and depression. Her working it out on the bag with Tan gave me some hope. But alas, we're going to have to see this through. to the end.  Only two things can happen. One is that she winds up forfeiting her win. Two is that she ALMOST loses her leadership deal, but she pulls through in the nick of time.

This will not be a fun story. It will also not be fast and/or furious. It will be sad and depressing. 

2. I was hoping Hondo's fight with Dad might come to an end. Perhaps them being partners will do it, but I'd like to see an end to this as well.

However, him getting Daryl to go to school was good. I was afraid that Dad would try to get him not to go, but he went with it, despite gritting his teeth through it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sweet Tooth said:

I was hoping Hondo's fight with Dad might come to an end. Perhaps them being partners will do it, but I'd like to see an end to this as well.

I think Hondo deciding to be Leroy's partner is an indication that he's at least starting to turn around on him. Leroy's finally got a chance to actually show Hondo that he's a changed man and that he has his life together in showing him that he can work hard and put in the time to make a business succeed. Conversely, Hondo wouldn't go all in on Leroy's deal if he didn't think Leroy deserved that chance.

So, while it's not much, at least Hondo vs. Leroy has moved on from "Leroy says he's changed but Hondo doesn't believe it" to "Leroy says he's changed and now Hondo wants him to prove it". Baby steps.

• Love 1

I wondered when Tan will have to tell someone  what he knows about Chris.  

I thought there should have been a scene with Tan and Street. Street's reaction to Chris's black eye was weird.  I would think that he'd be a little more concerned. I did like Tan trying to help Chris deal with her grief over Erica.

Edited by nittany cougar
18 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

I think Hondo deciding to be Leroy's partner is an indication that he's at least starting to turn around on him. Leroy's finally got a chance to actually show Hondo that he's a changed man and that he has his life together in showing him that he can work hard and put in the time to make a business succeed. Conversely, Hondo wouldn't go all in on Leroy's deal if he didn't think Leroy deserved that chance.

So, while it's not much, at least Hondo vs. Leroy has moved on from "Leroy says he's changed but Hondo doesn't believe it" to "Leroy says he's changed and now Hondo wants him to prove it". Baby steps.

Until Daryl walked out of the room, that was how I saw it.

But when he left, and Leroy said he was sneaky, and Hondo was still looking at him like, "I don't trust you," I started to think maybe I was being too hopeful.

We shall see...

• Love 1