Type keyword(s) to search

With Discovery+ a thing, could FNS return?

• Start Topic

I think YouTube kind of killed off the concept of making a network star. The most promising talent may believe they are best served setting up a channel where they maintain control of their career (and recipes) and don't sign away their life to FN. In addition, YT offers the best food talent a far larger audience than they could ever get on FN. Babish's videos get a couple million views a week. Hell, I follow a guy who reviews MREs (military rations) and he gets into the high hundred thousands, which would put him in the FN top ten.

In this area where true "stars" can make their own career, I'm not sure what kind of talent they could recruit. 

• Love 1
On 2/21/2021 at 6:57 PM, Skyfall said:

Instead of a FN show maybe they get a Discovery+ show?

I've asked myself the same question many times.  I agree with the other posts above in general but they've resurrected other dead shows so why not this show, at least for one season?  Iron Chef was reprised (although by Netflix and it only had one season).  Same for "Dinner Impossible" on FN.  "Restaurant Impossible" came back for a few seasons.

I think this show would need to be on Food Network and given that they would likely not want to offer the winner a new show there's really no point in it.  Although they could tweak the premise for it to be more of a challenge for its own sake with a cash prize.  I got the impression when it went off the air that FN was done with the show.  I think if there was any desire on FN's part to reprise it they would have by now and it's probably too late to do it anymore.  It's too bad, in my opinion.  I think they could have brought it back in a new format with new hosts, perhaps former winners of the show, like Jeff Mauro, Aarti, Damaris Phillips or even Guy himself. 

Given the repetitive competitions they keep coming out with, most of which I have no interest in, I think this would probably be better if they did it right.  But there's the rub.  I don't think the people in charge of these things today could get it right.  Gone are the good old days of "Kermit and Medusa", LOL.  Yeah, I miss those days!

• Like 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think they could have brought it back in a new format with new hosts, perhaps former winners of the show, like Jeff Mauro, Aarti, Damaris Phillips or even Guy himself. 

Oh, my goodness. Please, please - no Aarti Farti! Can't stand her, or her "husby".

ETA: BTW, Aarti started with a You Tube show.

Edited by chessiegal
(edited)
35 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Oh, my goodness. Please, please - no Aarti Farti! Can't stand her, or her "husby".

ETA: BTW, Aarti started with a You Tube show.

She has often been on "Guy's Grocery Games" so I'm used to her!  🤷‍♀️

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 1

I will NEVER forget how she wangled an interview on NPR after her win. When asked what her plans were, she said she wanted to "brand" herself, like she was going to be the next Pioneer Woman or someone like that. The hubris! She won an effing FN competition and now she has arrived! I watched some of her You Tube videos. They were shot in her kitchen. A door behind her was filled with holes that looked like someone put a fist through it, each hole filled with a flower like she wore in her hair. Her "husby" seemed scary. 

• Useful 1