Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: My Mind's Playing Tricks on Me

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Following Layla's advice to see a therapist, Spencer tries to get to the root of his problem, which leads to a shocking revelation. Jordan grows concerned about Simone's behavior, but when he learns the reason why, he tries to be supportive in the way she needs. Even though Asher is still suspended, he tries to prove himself to Montes and earn a potential place somehow on the team. Meanwhile, Coop wants to make a music video and turns to the community to help, while Layla and her dad face off about Patience.

Airdate: 02/08/2021

Coop isn't perfect, but it's not like she hasn't had consequences not only for her mistakes, but for a hell of a lot of things where she did nothing wrong.  Some of her trouble was the result of having seemingly nowhere to turn because of her mother's refusal to accept her or even allow her a place to stay for a time.  She went to Sean because she didn't think it was safe for Spencer and his family to stay there longer.  And now that she's finally in a pretty good place (sort of, until whatever probably goes down with Mo at some point), they have to possibly ruin her friendship with Spencer and try to pile a whole bunch of guilt on her.  Of course in a drama things have to happen, but they don't need to rehash everything that already happened and throw it in her face again and again.  And why do they have to make such a Big Deal of her being behind in her credits?  She doesn't want to go to college, she wants to do her music.  Many young music stars get a GED or graduate through online courses on their own time.  It's not like she has even said she was dropping out, so I don't know why they're bringing it up.  A graduation episode probably wouldn't be until sometime next season anyway, so she has time.

I hope that Darnell will come back someday, but if he does, I'm guessing it wouldn't be for a long time because of the actor's other commitments.  I noticed from IMDb that the actor who plays Chris has also been on another show a lot.  I don't know if his role is current, but that's probably why he was gone for so long.

I liked when Coach Montes called out Asher for the crap he has done (I thought she would say something about him breaking her daughter's heart too, but I guess she doesn't know or is more professional than that).  Of course she lets him off the hook like five minutes later.

I laughed when after the therapist said Spencer is in love with Olivia and he protested and said he loved Layla, the therapist said they would "table that for now."  As in, we're not getting into that in this particular episode.  I hope the guy at her dad's record label won't be a love interest for Layla.  He is annoying.

Well guess Darnell is leaving. I'm really bummed. I think he had great character potential on this show and ugh he was so easy on the eyes (ok selfish me will stop now).

As for Spencer blaming Coop, I guess I feel differently than others in this chat. I get it. As soon as the therapist said to find your stuck point, I immediately yelled at the screen "Coop." Yes, Coop has had it rough and a lot of her circumstances were not her fault but that does not mean that it did not affect other people around her. Spencer was affected by her decisions and circumstances bc he cares so deeply for his friend. I think Spencer has every right to feel this way. People feel all types of ways all the time. How he handles it, is really what matters.

So clearly Olivia and Spencer are gonna be the slow burn love of All American just like every show has one of these. And obviously record label guy and Layla are going to be some sort of romantic item so the show can shift toward Olivia/Spencer. Honestly, in the s1ep1 I was all for Olivia/Spencer. But I just really have enjoyed Spencer/Layla. This is so typical of me to go down with a sinking ship, so it is not even news to me at this point. I just wish shows would stop making the couple they don't want to be endgame so appealing. But then again I might be the only Layla/Spencer shipper. 

I also was all for Ascher/Olivia but man has that grown flat and stale quickly. They were more interesting during the "what if?" phase. Now I could care less about them. I also could care less about the new girl as well. This entire storyline is just ugh lol.

Jordan has pissed me off since s1ep1 and continues to do so. He is such an entitled whiny brat. I can't even with him. However, I do find Simone interesting and am interested in her story. But how she isn't tired of Jordan yet is beyond me.

I need more adult stories back in the show. It was a better balance when Billy, his wife/exwife, Grace, and Corey (now dead) were more integral to the storyline. Mainly bc the teens storylines are so flat. If they are trying to be OTH they are failing bc I could have watched OTH for the teens all day and still could, but I do believe IIRC they had a good balance. 

Wow I'm rambling at this point so I'm cut off lol.

• Love 1

I understand why Spencer would blame Coop for the shooting (not that he wanted to, which is the whole reason for the arm problem, his suppressing this), but I am just tired of the writers' overall approach to Coop.  Maybe they'll have her learn from mistakes and she can move on to a happy life, but more likely they'll just keep finding new ways to torture her!

Even if Spencer and Olivia are supposed to be endgame, the writers could always change their minds or she could leave the show if it goes on longer than her contract or something.  These are things that would always happen with couples I liked on shows, usually "soapy" type shows like Melrose Place, but on sitcoms too.  If Layla and Spencer do break up, she could just focus on producing for a bit or maybe find someone else nice later, but instead it will probably be record label dude because they have verbal sparring on their first meeting.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I understand why Spencer would blame Coop for the shooting (not that he wanted to, which is the whole reason for the arm problem, his suppressing this), but I am just tired of the writers' overall approach to Coop.  Maybe they'll have her learn from mistakes and she can move on to a happy life, but more likely they'll just keep finding new ways to torture her!

Even if Spencer and Olivia are supposed to be endgame, the writers could always change their minds or she could leave the show if it goes on longer than her contract or something.  These are things that would always happen with couples I liked on shows, usually "soapy" type shows like Melrose Place, but on sitcoms too.  If Layla and Spencer do break up, she could just focus on producing for a bit or maybe find someone else nice later, but instead it will probably be record label dude because they have verbal sparring on their first meeting.

Oh yeah I get that. The show really does love torturing Coop. Honestly, I want to see the Coop/Spencer shooting fallout storyline. I think it's realistic and could be interesting. I however, do not want to watch whatever Mo is about to stir up for Coop. The Tyrone story is so tired. I'm over it.

Yes, the show can always change couples. That's fairly easy especially with teenagers and considering the actors contracts. I was just saying how I always tend to ship the couple the writers and most fans seem to not be a fan of, haha. And it does seem that the writers set up Olivia/Spencer to be endgame since the first season and they continue to sprinkle it through the last 2 seasons and this one. They want to do the slow burn for them.

• Love 2

I was a little surprised they continued to set up Spencer and Olivia, if only because it would be weird to still have those feelings for a guy that you briefly thought was your brother!  I do remember Chris talking about it when he was dating Olivia though.  (It hasn't been shown, but probably weird for those two to be around each other after he broke up with her in a text I think when he was dealing with his physical recovery.)

• Love 2