Type keyword(s) to search

Fried Green Tomatoes (1991): "The secret's in the sauce."

UYI
  • Start Topic

Starring Kathy Bates, Jessica Tandy, Mary Stuart Masterson, Mary-Louise Parker, and Cicely Tyson (RIP!), who is also responsible for the quote in the thread title above. Directed by Jon Avnet.

Based on the novel Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg (yes, the one from Match Game who wore all the funny/ridiculous t-shirts).

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the film's original theatrical release.

TAWANDA!

• Love 4

I got my first car around the time of this film, and named it Towanda.  And now I have "I'm older, and I have more insurance" fantasies.

I wish the director hadn't chickened out with respect to the love story between Ruth and Idgie, but the actors played it honestly and it was beautiful.

This is another one of those films where I have seen it umpteen times and have it on DVD, but will still stop and watch at least some of it whenever I come across it on TV.

"How many of them hormones you takin', honey?"

• Love 7
On 1/29/2021 at 5:20 PM, Bastet said:

I wish the director hadn't chickened out with respect to the love story between Ruth and Idgie, but the actors played it honestly and it was beautiful.

I was a sheltered 10 year old when I first saw this movie, and even then I knew that Idgie was not straight.  I didn't have the words at the time, but could figure out she was in love with Ruth.  I don't think an explicit love scene was totally necessary.  If you watched this movie and thought that Ruth and Idgie were just good friends, then you are a dumbass.  

• Love 8