Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Twilight Canyons

• Start Topic

Meh, I think this was the weakest slow paced episode so far. The middle child episode that has to set up the story for the grande finale.

Carcer does not look intimitating enough (and neither does Vetinari). His resting face has a midly interested to curious expression, his mean face looks tired, not threatening. Sam is too handsome to play a baddie.

The dance scene at the retirement home was funny, but it needed a different song and/or fuller sound. And it needed Nobby and Colon waltzing on the dancefloor.

Edited by Aulty

I find it's still an abomination. It would have been better if they never referenced Pratchett, because it feels like the storytelling is relying too much on us knowing the world and the characters, while at the same time throwing out or completely reversing everything we know about the characters. So... the stories feel disjointed to me and I have no idea who these people are other than... emo Mad Max? dystopia lite schlubs? British scifi characters? I'm not really getting itno it on its own merits and I sure as hell can't enjoy it as Discworld, so...meh.

• Love 2

It variously reminds me of Monty Python/Time Bandits, Dr. Who and this awful Disney movie "The Descendants." I like it, but the last episode wasn't the best, and I've kind of lost the plot. It's mostly character & set driven anyway. 

Edited by Superclam

Not really sure what's going on (or at least, what's meant to be going on) with the goblins(?), though it figures that Carrot would win one over simply by being civil to them. And magic swords aren't really much of a thing in Discworld (though Rincewind does briefly get hold of one in The Light Fantastic, IIRC) - indeed, the sword of the true King* is explicitly described as being completely non-magical, just very good at cutting things

Did think the "Emergency Dance Alarm" was the sort of thing Sir PTerry would approve of (though it would have been funnier (as @Aulty said) if we'd had Sgt. Colon & Cpl. Nobby Nobbs dancing together). And I I don't really see much feeling from Angua towards Carrot, whatever Cheery thinks (I guess she's read the script!?), it seems pretty one way for now. 

On 1/18/2021 at 8:58 AM, Aulty said:

Carcer does not look intimidating enough (and neither does Vetinari). His resting face has a mildly interested to curious expression, his mean face looks tired, not threatening.

That's my problem with him, too. This is the Discworld version of The Joker - charismatic but a complete psychopath. Everyone around him should be scared he'll snap and murder them at any moment. And I guess he's working for the Auditors of Reality (who are pretty much the Discworld versions of the ultimate Evil Deities)?

* Well, probably the rightful King of Morpork, it's never actually confirmed

• Love 1