Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Day Sixteen

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

Man, past Shelby really did a number on her friend. I feel so bad for the poor girl - here's Shelby, her only friend, throwing her under the bus and then blaming her for it even though Shelby is the one who started everything. I can empathize with Shelby, I understand why she did it, but jeez. I wonder if the dad thought that this retreat could be step one in Shelby's conversion therapy - break her down so he can build her back up as the person he wants her to be. I also think that it's interesting how they've made Shelby's missing teeth the metaphor for her queerness, and I hope it's setting us up for a big moment in the end where Shelby is out there without the dentures and no intention of hiding who she is anymore. It's odd to me that even though post-"rescue" she has the shaved head and everything, she still has the dentures in! I wonder how they create the no-eyeteeth effect in the actress.

I'm also curious why she chose Leah to give her message to (whatever it is). Maybe because she knows Leah is paranoid enough to not dismiss whatever suspicions she has?

• Love 4

I'm curious as to what type of program Shelby's parents thought they were sending her to.  A pray away the gay camp?  Because I can't imagine highly religious parents who are afraid their daughter is a lesbian would be sending her to a women's empowerment retreat with a whole bunch of other teenage girls. 

• Love 8

Shelbys dad is totally like the husband in sleeping with the enemy.  Everything has to be a certain way, only certain foods.  The way everyone froze over breakfast when he commented on the cereal, he is not a good man. I too get molester vibes from him

• Love 7
On 1/13/2021 at 9:03 PM, Riplet68 said:

Shelbys dad is totally like the husband in sleeping with the enemy.  Everything has to be a certain way, only certain foods.  The way everyone froze over breakfast when he commented on the cereal, he is not a good man. I too get molester vibes from him

He gave me major, major creeps.

On 12/17/2020 at 1:27 PM, legxleg said:

Man, past Shelby really did a number on her friend. I feel so bad for the poor girl - here's Shelby, her only friend, throwing her under the bus and then blaming her for it even though Shelby is the one who started everything. I can empathize with Shelby, I understand why she did it, but jeez.

But Becca appears to have told her parents first. Under pressure, admittedly, because Shelby's creepy father called her parents to tattle on them, but still.

But what Shelby said to Becca was heartbreaking.

I hope Dot and Fatin gets their conbo in LA.

On 12/17/2020 at 1:27 PM, legxleg said:

I'm also curious why she chose Leah to give her message to (whatever it is). Maybe because she knows Leah is paranoid enough to not dismiss whatever suspicions she has?

I wonder what was in that message.