Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: REWATCH: The Monogamists

Carrie is spending all her time with Mr. Big, and then finds he's not being exclusive, which she can't handle. Miranda has broken up with Skipper, but when she sees him out with another woman, she tries to get back together, on a non-exclusive basis, which he can't handle. Samantha goes apartment hunting, supposedly with a realtor on an exclusive basis, but actually continues to use others.

We're supposedly opening this up on Mondays, but my schedule has gotten weird, so just have at it - if you've rewatched and have something to say, the thread is yours.

There's the quote:  "You're breaking up with me while you're still inside of me?"

I wonder if Carrie's friends pay for all her meals at these nice/fancy NYC restaurants.

Another reminder that Charlotte is a one-position type woman, hah.  Still, kindof hard to believe a guy would be that insistent over getting a blow job, and insist it was a deal breaker right then.

Can't believe Miranda didn't realize that Skipper was so infatuated by her.  Skipper, you're an idiot in how your treated your girlfriend.

Carrie, maybe you'd be perceived as more of the 'stand still' type of girl if you weren't always wearing 'fuck me' dresses on your dates.

• Love 1

There's the quote:  "You're breaking up with me while you're still inside of me?"

I wonder if Carrie's friends pay for all her meals at these nice/fancy NYC restaurants.

Another reminder that Charlotte is a one-position type woman, hah.  Still, kindof hard to believe a guy would be that insistent over getting a blow job, and insist it was a deal breaker right then.

Can't believe Miranda didn't realize that Skipper was so infatuated by her.  Skipper, you're an idiot in how your treated your girlfriend.

Carrie, maybe you'd be perceived as more of the 'stand still' type of girl if you weren't always wearing 'fuck me' dresses on your dates.

I don't know. Given the Internet fervor today over a woman posting an email she received from her husband where for an entire month he tracked and compiled the data in an Excel spreadsheet all the ways she rejected sex with him,  I can totally buy that a man (any man, many men) would consider it a deal breaker if he didn't get head from the woman he was dating. My take on the matter is totally Miranda--I give to get. Or, as I said to my girlfriends during one conversation about this  very topic: "Give and ye shall receive." 

As for the way Carrie dress--she can't want to like to look sexy and still want to be in a monogamous relationship? Are the two mutually exclusive?

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't think the content of the discussion at the party wasn't out of line, but the timing of it was. You don't ask the question, "Just how many women are you dating?" in the middle of a bunch of people at a cocktail party. You save it for when you're alone and have a bit of privacy, and then put it out there. It's not unreasonable to want to get your expectations aligned (for lack of a better word) with those of the person you're dating, but it is childish and immature to just demand to talk about it right then and there.

But the drunken phone call was waaayy over the line -- even so, it's still in the realm of being understandable. Drunken dialing, anyone? I'm lucky enough to have never actually done it, but oh man I have come very, very close a few times. But expecting Big to drop everything and come get her at 3 AM was just crazy, and it's hard to believe that he actually did it. Maybe he was worried about her out drunkenly meandering the streets at such a late hour.

Edited by Queasy-bo
  • Love 4

The question was not unreasonable, but it seemed like they just met when she asked, or not too long after.

I know the first season was rather compressed (only 12 episodes) but I agree that this all felt very rushed and premature.

• Love 1

I didn't think the content of the discussion at the party wasn't out of line, but the timing of it was. You don't ask the question, "Just how many women are you dating?" in the middle of a bunch of people at a cocktail party. You save it for when you're alone and have a bit of privacy, and then put it out there. It's not unreasonable to want to get your expectations aligned (for lack of a better word) with those of the person you're dating, but it is childish and immature to just demand to talk about it right then and there.

But the drunken phone call was waaayy over the line -- even so, it's still in the realm of being understandable. Drunken dialing, anyone? I'm lucky enough to have never actually done it, but oh man I have come very, very close a few times. But expecting Big to drop everything and come get her at 3 AM was just crazy, and it's hard to believe that he actually did it. Maybe he was worried about her out drunkenly meandering the streets at such a late hour.

I think that you're right. The party wasn't the time to bring it up, even if she was bothered by 1) the other woman slinking up to Big and 2) the other dude thinking that Carrie was some other woman. But I think it was definitely something she should have broached once they left. 

• Love 1
The question was not unreasonable, but it seemed like they just met when she asked, or not too long after.

This is what I thought. It seems like they've only been going out a few times which to me always seems too soon to discuss whether or not your going to be exclusive yet. If they had said something like how long Big and Carrie had been seeing each other that might have helped. Obviously, Carrie was upset to see him with another girl so I don't know why she didn't just ask him the next time they talked?