Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Advent

• Start Topic

After a rocket malfunctions during a test, the Mercury 7 head home for Christmas. Shepard's holidays are fraught, as the arrival of his parents coincides with the adoption of Louise's niece. Gordo's former mistress forces her way back into his life, jeopardizing his relationship with Trudy. And Glenn attempts to win over a rising political star and presidential hopeful, JFK.

Dropping on Friday, October 23, 2020.

After 3 episodes, the only astronauts that I can look at and know who they are would be John Glenn and Ken Cosgrove. And Ken Cosgrove is Ken Cosgrove, not whichever one he is supposed to be. I think after this one I can tell Alan Shepherd and Gordo Cooper. I'm not sure I'll remember them by next episode, though. I'm guessing that isn't a good thing.

3 hours ago, estellasmum said:

After 3 episodes, the only astronauts that I can look at and know who they are would be John Glenn and Ken Cosgrove. And Ken Cosgrove is Ken Cosgrove, not whichever one he is supposed to be. I think after this one I can tell Alan Shepherd and Gordo Cooper. I'm not sure I'll remember them by next episode, though. I'm guessing that isn't a good thing.

Hmm, to be honest, I find this odd. They've focused mostly on John Glenn, Alan Shepard and Gordo Cooper so far, and none of them look a like, plus they have pretty different personalities and family circumstances. 🤷‍♀️ I'm actually surprised they have spent so much time on Gordo, but I'm not complaining since I like the actor.

I can't believe the Shepard's actually renamed their niece. I googled it, and it's true, although it happened a few years earlier when she was 5. But still, what a crazy thing to do. At first I was cheering on the grandfather who was questioning the decision, but then he slammed her elbow on the table, and that was the end of that.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

Hmm, to be honest, I find this odd. They've focused mostly on John Glenn, Alan Shepard and Gordo Cooper so far, and none of them look a like, plus they have pretty different personalities and family circumstances. 🤷‍♀️ I'm actually surprised they have spent so much time on Gordo, but I'm not complaining since I like the actor.

I can't believe the Shepard's actually renamed their niece. I googled it, and it's true, although it happened a few years earlier when she was 5. But still, what a crazy thing to do. At first I was cheering on the grandfather who was questioning the decision, but then he slammed her elbow on the table, and that was the end of that.

I think it has to do with how little I'm actually paying attention to every episode.

The renaming the neice was about the only storyline that grabbed my attention, and yeah, crazy that they did that in real life.

• Love 1

I intend to finish the series but can’t find enough interest to comment on each episode. Honestly, the show can’t hold a candle to the movie, even though we are getting additional background information from the book. 

• Love 1

I haven't seen the movie and I don't really have any interest in searching it out, I'd rather judge this show on its own merits. So far its pretty bland.

I don't have any problem telling the characters apart - well the main three - the other four are that guy from Mad Men, that guy from One Tree Hill and two others! 

I do think that we're half-way through the season and I don't feel we've really gotten to know any of the characters. And since we're not getting much space or training to keep things interesting that's a huge problem. Everything is very superficial or soap-operish. 

My eyes were seriously rolling at not-Martha wanting to change her name to Alan!

• Love 1
On 10/27/2020 at 1:09 PM, estellasmum said:

I know I'm coming to this late, but we just finished this last week, and omg yes on the Ken Cosgrove thing! I finished the whole series and still don't know which astronaut he was. He'll always be Ken Cosgrove!

And for me, it's still weird to see Colin O'Donoghue without guyliner and a hook hand. I think I prefer him as Captain Hook than here where he's just so bland.......