Type keyword(s) to search

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020)

bilgistic
  • Start Topic

I never met a Charlie Kaufman movie I didn't like. And this may be my new favorite! (Sorry, Adaptation!) Although I have to say I can't think of a single person in my life I could recommend it to, and if you hated it... well, I can't argue with you! It's more than two hours and most of it takes place in a dark car. And it's confusing. But I heard someone say that if you're going to watch a Charlie Kaufman movie just once, don't bother watching it at all! And I think that's true, you get so much on repeated viewings . But if you feel like a movie should be able to be completely enjoyed on one viewing... well, I can't argue with you! But I've watched it four times and get more out of it each time.

To me, it's primarily about the desire to be seen and validated. But there's also a lot about how media shapes our personality. How nothing is original (even when Lucy/Louisa/Yvonne/Lucia/Amy says nothing is original, she does it with a quote from Oscar Wilde). It's a lot to take in, and it is long - but I really enjoyed it!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Yeah, I hated this a lot. I fully admit that it was too cerebral for me. I read part of an article (didn't read the whole thing because that's how mad I am about it) that said Kaufman "didn't feel the need" to reveal the book's clarity about Lucy/Luisa/etc. all BEING JAKE'S DREAM. I certainly don't need everything spelled out for me and I love a movie that makes me think about it days later, but the point of view in the movie was Lucy's.

• Love 3

It’s definitely for a specific segment of people and I don’t think it will be very appealing to most. There’s so many references that it’s too difficult to fully absorb everything the first time around but it did make me think in the end, even though I doubt it’s something I’d watch a second time anytime soon. I will say it has a lot of artistic value and if you love Kaufman, it's like everything peak Kaufman. 

• Love 1

I’m torn, but mostly hated it. I love Jesse Plemons, so he was great as always. It was just too weird. The poem Lucy recites was way too long, I literally stopped listening; I’ve written poetry, and that poem needed editing!
the dance at the end was lovely though.

• Love 1

It wasn’t as good as the book for me. I found the book extremely creepy and this just felt more experimental theater than scary. I didn’t hate it and the acting was good but the point of view seemed wrong and the ending play didn’t work for me.

• Love 3