Type keyword(s) to search

Dave Chappelle - 8:46 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'd say this was less stand up and more Dave telling us how he's feeling right now (not that that's a bad thing). This was obviously not polished material but I liked that it was more casual and less prepared. He had some good stuff to say.

• Love 4
(edited)

I have no doubt he has some key points there. However, he was already losing me around the time he announced his retirement and refused the million dollar deal for Comedy Central’s Dave Chappelle Show. I just think it was not best the decision there and I think his recent comedy material suffered because of it. I like him when he started it, but lately he has been pretty meh so far.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I have no doubt he has some key points there. However, he was already losing me around the time he announced his retirement and refused the million dollar deal for Comedy Central’s Dave Chappelle Show. I just think it was not best the decision there and I think his recent comedy material suffered because of it. I like him when he started it, but lately he has been pretty meh so far.

So you didn’t watch it?

• Love 1

I thought it was good, and I am not even a fan of Dave Chappelle. The best part as his response to Don Lemon asking why some celebrities were staying silent and he pointed out that a lot of people didn't even want to hear what they had to say. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm not really a fan but I got a lot out of this special. I was surprised that he brought up Christopher Dorner as that's a story LAPD would rather everyone forget and they largely have. I'm going to watch it again.

Edited by Soobs
  • Love 3

I went to look for this special on Netflix but it was nowhere to be found. But it is (legally) on YouTube:

I thought it was particularly powerful. Plus, he dunked on Don Lemon for whom I have an irrational hatred because he's just so fucking stupid.

This was damn good.

I did not like his last couple of comedy specials on the whole, but liked parts of them and have generally liked a lot of his past comedy, so I was very interested to hear what he had to say in this.

As a Los Angeleno, hearing him start with the extrapolation of what it felt like for about 30 seconds of our damn, this is my worst one yet (or, in his case, first one); am I actually going to die? fear during the Northridge earthquake to George Floyd's knowing, near the end of nearly nine minutes, that he was going to die, was particularly powerful.

As was learning 8:46 being both the amount of time George Floyd had a knee on his neck and the time of day Chappelle was born haunted the latter on an extra level.  And hearing the origin of his name near the end, followed by "these things are not old, it was not a long time ago, its today" and a reiteration of what he'd said earlier in response to Don Lemon calling black celebrities out:  the streets are speaking for themselves, and will do it whether I'm alive or dead, they do not need me.

As was asking how in the hell LAPD (or any police department) can't understand what's going on in the streets, given how they turned out when some of their own were killed by Chris Dorner.  "We saw ourselves just like you see yourselves."

He didn't need to reach for misogyny in reading Candace Owens and Laura Ingraham for filth; stick to what they say and do, not their gender, which is irrelevant.  They are repugnant people, but it's not because they're women, it's because they are racist, sexist, homophobic, bigoted, lying, willfully-ignorant assholes.

But I loved the rest of it, especially the raw honesty in talking about how he, for the first time, thought he needed to get his family out of town; people were never going to understand, and he was so damn tired of trying to explain something so obvious.

And I'm so glad he pointed out the NRA once did oppose an assault weapons ban - when armed Black Panthers stormed the capitol in CA.

• Love 4

Producers Guild of America nomination!

Award for Outstanding Producer of Live Entertainment & Talk Television

“8:46 – Dave Chappelle (Special)” (Netflix)
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” (Comedy Central) – Season 26

“Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” (HBO) – Season 7

“The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS) – Season 6

“Saturday Night Live” (NBC) – Season 46