Type keyword(s) to search

Lucy In The Sky (2019)

SunnyBeBe
  • Start Topic

This movie is now being shown on Netflix.  It was a bomb in the theater, but, I kind of liked it.  I do have some questions though. 

Does anyone know when this movie was set? It appears to be during current day based on laptop computers and cars, but, there are no cell phones.  How does that work ??  Also, some of the men have 70's style clothes and hair.  Just odd.  

I'm actually curious as to what happened to the woman? Was she mentally ill?  Did she suffer psychosis?  Did her space travel change her brain?  It's a mystery.  

The movie is a little clunky in the beginning, but, it's worth getting through it.  I thought it was okay. PLUS, there's YUMMY JON HAMM!!!!!  What's not to like about him?  Sorry, that sounds inappropriate......so, I'm a Hamm fan.  His acting was okay in this. 

I was intrigued that this is BASED ON A TRUE story.  Anyone recall the woman astronaut, who drove cross country in adult diapers with a weapon to confront her lover's girlfriend?  It was quite a story. 

As far as I can tell, this is not on Netflix.  It is, however, on HBO.  I watched it last week.  

This movie has pretty poor marks from critics and viewers from what I have read.  But I thought it was worth a watch.  I think most people's problems with it are because they were expecting a space movie or science fiction type show, when it's actually more grounded.  It's more like a low brow Hidden Figures.  Another possible problem is that the lead character is not particularly likable.  Still, I thought it was interesting as a character study.

One other small complaint is I thought the contrast between the nice guy husband and ladies man astronaut was a little too on the nose.

As for why she acted the way she did, I don't really know the answer, and I'm not familiar with the story this is based on.  But it appeared to me that she wasn't able to emotionally handle the affair she was having, and the results.  She was very ambitious and focused on her studies and career, and seemed to be a little emotionally immature.

On 6/6/2020 at 1:48 AM, rmontro said:

As far as I can tell, this is not on Netflix.  It is, however, on HBO.  I watched it last week.  

This movie has pretty poor marks from critics and viewers from what I have read.  But I thought it was worth a watch.  I think most people's problems with it are because they were expecting a space movie or science fiction type show, when it's actually more grounded.  It's more like a low brow Hidden Figures.  Another possible problem is that the lead character is not particularly likable.  Still, I thought it was interesting as a character study.

One other small complaint is I thought the contrast between the nice guy husband and ladies man astronaut was a little too on the nose.

As for why she acted the way she did, I don't really know the answer, and I'm not familiar with the story this is based on.  But it appeared to me that she wasn't able to emotionally handle the affair she was having, and the results.  She was very ambitious and focused on her studies and career, and seemed to be a little emotionally immature.

Were you able to tell what time frame this was set?  No cell phones, but, emails.  Modern looking cars, but, old looking clothes on the men, especially leading lady's husband and NASA guy. 

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Were you able to tell what time frame this was set?  No cell phones, but, emails.  Modern looking cars, but, old looking clothes on the men, especially leading lady's husband and NASA guy. 

Well, they were flying shuttles and they had the Challenger explosion in there, which happened in 1986, so it must have been around there somewhere.  But I take your point, I guess they struggled getting the period setting right.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Well, they were flying shuttles and they had the Challenger explosion in there, which happened in 1986, so it must have been around there somewhere.  But I take your point, I guess they struggled getting the period setting right.

I guess so.  The true story of the woman who drove in diapers to get to her lover's girlfriend happened just a few years ago though.  So, I guess it was just loosely based on the true story and predated it in the movie. 

It wasn't all that bad, imo.  I mean, just watching Jon Hamm was a treat. 

On 6/16/2020 at 7:43 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Okay.  So, I am curious as to why the movie insisted on NO cell phones AND groovy clothes and hairstyles on the men. lol 

It's hard to say what Noah Hawley was thinking here,  but I've rarely been so disappointed.  Hawley fancies himself a feminist and made some changes that don't make any sense and stripped it of any dark comedy potential.  It probably didn't sit well that such an accomplished woman would lose her damn mind over astrostud Jon Hamm and drive across country in a space diaper to kill her rival.  It's not pretty, but it's true and could have been funny.  Instead he kind of blames NASA, leaves out the diaper, and has her confront Jon Hamm rather than the other woman.  Failed miserably to launch.