Type keyword(s) to search

Game On - General Discussion

blackwing
  • Start Topic

With Rob Gronkowski and Venus Williams.  Gronk and Venus each have a team consisting of two (quasi) celebrities and the teams do stupid stunts.

Anyone else watching this?  I'm not sure how real it is, but it is hilarious.  Watching Gronk trying to eat pig's foot was so funny.

(edited)

It's a wonderfully silly show that's a great diversion in these weird times. Venus and Gronk are excellent in their roles as team leaders with a lot of personality on top of their athletic skills.

Edited by tominboston
  • Love 4

I find myself always rooting for Venus (Goddess on a Mountaintop!).  Because it's just funnier to see Gronk doing the Take the L stunt at the end.  Hoping her team pulls out the win tonight.

• Love 1

I am truly amazed how good the Gronk is on this show, especially compared to the couple of other things I’ve seen him on since he retired. He might regret going back to play with Brady.

Watching the losers shake hands with the entire audience:

cringeworthy, even though it was taped months ago.

Watching Gronk do rhythmic gymnastics:

delightful.

And I loathe the Patriots and the Bucs.

This show is goofy, silly fun.

• Love 1

This is one of the only celeb games shows I watch. Checked it out for Venus Williams, who is terrific in it, and really enjoyed it so I keep watching. Gronk's permanently befuddled expression never fails to crack me up, and it's just fun. 

• Love 3

Just saw the episode with Ken Jeong and Tiki Barber... the two guest stars truly didn't participate at all in any of the events.  Like, absolutely nothing.  I remember Landon Donovan not doing anything either.  What's the point of having them on the show if they don't even participate in the challenges?

They used the same ending obstacle course as before.  It was jungle themed before and then they converted it to snow and ice themed.  I have no idea why they have Ian participate in this one.  He's too large and out of shape and just ends up trying to cheat his way through it, but he always drags his team down.  Conversely, it's kind of unfair that they have Gronk do this one, he just powers through every ending challenge.

• Love 1

I have a vague recollection of Landon Donovan doing one event, but could be wrong. We thought the same thing about Jeong and Barber as you did, why have them on the show? Especially Barber, as an ex football player, should have had the physical skills to do something.

It seems to me like the format of the show is:

1) One team's guest is always an athlete, while the other's is a comedian

2) No physical challenge ever has 2 athletes from the same team participating

So if the choice is Gronk+ or Venus+, the guest athlete will be sitting and watching, which is kind of annoying. If it were more round robin-style, so everyone participated in at least one not-trivia challenge, it'd be better. But Gronk seems to ALWAYS play so when he's got a second athlete on his team, they inevitably end up sitting a lot. It'd be better if both teams had 4 people, 2 athletes and 2 comedians, but then we wouldn't see the rampant cheating that the show seems to pretend to not like yet allows because it's funny...soooo... I donno. I guess they're going for a certain vibe and the unevenness gets them there?

On 7/23/2020 at 7:05 PM, theatremouse said:

It seems to me like the format of the show is:

1) One team's guest is always an athlete, while the other's is a comedian

2) No physical challenge ever has 2 athletes from the same team participating

So if the choice is Gronk+ or Venus+, the guest athlete will be sitting and watching, which is kind of annoying. If it were more round robin-style, so everyone participated in at least one not-trivia challenge, it'd be better. But Gronk seems to ALWAYS play so when he's got a second athlete on his team, they inevitably end up sitting a lot. It'd be better if both teams had 4 people, 2 athletes and 2 comedians, but then we wouldn't see the rampant cheating that the show seems to pretend to not like yet allows because it's funny...soooo... I donno. I guess they're going for a certain vibe and the unevenness gets them there?

Agree spot on with this.  Gronk ALWAYS plays... no matter what the physical challenge, he's there.  He's a beast so it's not surprising.  But he always does the "two or three people go visit ABC where they learn how to do XYZ".  Like the rhythmic gymnastics, monster trucks, airplane dogfight, etc.  Venus doesn't always do those, unlike Gronk.  Gronk always does the final challenge as well, while Venus and her team answer questions, and it always seems a little unfair.  I'm thinking in particular of the one where Venus and Gronk had to scale a ladder or a rope climb and stand up on the top.  He did it in like 3 seconds.

I think the main point of the show is to showcase Gronk and Venus, so I guess it's not surprising that he always plays.  But if I were a guest star and I sat and did nothing or next to nothing, I'd be wondering what the point was, apart from collecting some money.

• Love 3