Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Episode 4

• Start Topic

(edited)

S1.E4: Giant Edible Thrones

The teams have a tasty new task to tackle: forging enormous thrones made of fruits, vegetables, and other edible delights.

Four episodes in and I'm already tired of Kristen. I don't think he adds anything to this show. He does a lot of talking but there is not much substance to what he actually says.

Example #1:
Host: What are you hoping to see?
Kristen: I want to see seven incredible thrones that are worthy of a seat at this table. I want their thrones to feel big and huge.

Example #2:
Kristen: Yan and Henck, you told me that you were going to create a cornucopia and that's exactly what you did!

Kristen complained a lot about the teams that glued things to their thrones (particularly Chanelle & Ramond and Sarah & Jordan), but how were all the orange slices and other elements attached to the example throne that they had sitting in the field?

Helen and Andi's Penthesilea throne was great. I liked that it looked like the abandoned throne that they described with all the greenery growing on it like ivy. The columns definitely looked very Greek. It was very sweet for Andi to teach Yan and Henck how to weave for their cornucopia.

Jordan and Sarah's tropical Pele throne was gorgeous. I loved the bright turmeric color they used on the back of the chair. I also loved the way they used the peppers to create flames. I really liked how colorful their throne was.

OMG between Yan's chef costume and Henck's watermelon hair, I was like what is happening this week? Their cornucopia throne was very graceful. I liked the face emerging from the back of the chair and I liked that they left the top of the horn empty and delicate. But I did agree with the guest judge when he said that you might not recognize it as a throne. There definitely wasn't anywhere to sit on it.

Eoghan and Declan's Newgrange inspired throne mostly looked like stone. I was shocked that they were so focused on the carpentry that they didn't run over when the garden opened. I liked the branches that were reaching up and the ones that looked like they were growing up the front and sides of the throne. But I didn't like that they just plopped a bunch of carrots and grapes on the seat.

Ryan and Andrew's Merlin throne aka the baked potato looked great. They definitely needed some demerits for using toxic plants on an edible challenge. I loved the quartz crystals they made out of sugar and herbs. What a fun idea!

Chanelle and Raymond's royal throne with fairy wings was really pretty. I liked the colors and I really liked the sheer volume of different fruits and vegetables that they used. I felt bad that their fairy wings ended up not working, but that's what happens sometimes.

Ralph and Jim took a big risk with their trug basket throne. I was afraid it wouldn't look enough like a throne but it turned out pretty well.

Congratulations to Ryan and Andrew on finally winning! Bon voyage, Chanelle and Raymond!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Wow, Ryan and Andrew!

As much as I wanted the dad & lad team to get a win, Ryan and Andrew were head and shoulders above the competition this time. Eoghan and Declan did well too.

ABout time for Chenelle and Raymond to go - imho they were lucky to get this far.

I agree with out @ElectricBoogaloo about Kristen. I mentioned in the thread for the first episode that he is so much like QE's Jonathan - overexcited and very little contructive criticism or tipps on technique.

• Love 1
On 5/26/2020 at 5:28 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Kristen complained a lot about the teams that glued things to their thrones (particularly Chanelle & Ramond and Sarah & Jordan), but how were all the orange slices and other elements attached to the example throne that they had sitting in the field?

Jordan and Sarah's tropical Pele throne was gorgeous. I loved the bright turmeric color they used on the back of the chair. I also loved the way they used the peppers to create flames. I really liked how colorful their throne was.

IMO where Chanelle and Raymond failed wasn't gluing things on, it was that everything LOOKED glued on. The sample throne looked like it could have been a living creature made of veggies. And the most successful thrones looked alive, like the fruits and vegetables were actually growing on and out of the throne. C&R's looked liked they just glued stuff onto a throne. Big difference.

I was sad to hear Jordan and Sarah's called out as being a school theater prop. As soon as they said that I totally saw what they meant, but visually it was so pretty and fun. But yeah, also stuff glued to a throne.

Also fun? Watermelon head dye. I thought theirs was crazy good, visually. (It just wasn't a throne.) I scratch my head every time I see their outfits, but they do beautiful work.