Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E20: CB Saved the Day

ohjoy

Smitten with environmental consultant Paloma, who was hired to oversee William Penn's Earth Day activities, CB's feelings may change when he learns she wants to stop an important construction project at the school. Meanwhile, Wilma gets a surprise after convincing Lainey that yearbook superlatives are not important.

I'm sure we've had at least one or two "Goldbergs" episodes the moral of which was that Adam shouldn't try to change who he is for romance because the right person will embrace him, eccentricities and all.  I understand that's a different show.  I get that it's a sitcom and I should get over it.  Etc etc etc.  But it's hard to be invested in watching a 30ish-year-old adult learn the same lesson.

This is a cute show and I like having something light to watch, so I don't want to tear it to pieces.  I guess that just was a plot line that really, really didn't resonate with me.

• Love 3

I thought it was kind of funny that Mellor was giving advice on dating, when he was just as clueless (or more) before he started seeing Aunt Julie.

Glascott was also funny with his paranoia from watching movies, and his relief when Lainey cut up his card.

• Love 2

I already like Paloma more than Lainey, which is unfortunate because she's obviously temporary and (maybe?) a catalyst for Lainey's jealousy. The writers seem to do about one CB/Lainey romance episode followed by six or seven where they barely interact, so it's hard to be invested in them as a couple. We're basically going to get inverse episodes where Lainey wants to make a move, but is stopped by Paloma. Yawn.

Boo to the show for trying to drag Wilma down to Lainey's level. Wilma's a gem, Lainey's a petty narcissist. Let Wilma enjoy her moment!

So every Goldbergs plot really is "X feels remorse for acting like an asshole to get something they wanted," huh?

22 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Wilma's a gem, Lainey's a petty narcissist. Let Wilma enjoy her moment!

The storyline was worth it just for the look of pure pride and joy on Wilma's face when she gave that girl (I'm terrible with names, forgot it already) the "change the world" award. It is not hard at all to tell why Wilma is the favorite teacher. Of course I'm a bit partial because I think science is fun and she's the enthusiastic science teacher so she'd have been my favorite hands down. Wilma really is a gem. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I already like Paloma more than Lainey, which is unfortunate because she's obviously temporary and (maybe?) a catalyst for Lainey's jealousy. The writers seem to do about one CB/Lainey romance episode followed by six or seven where they barely interact, so it's hard to be invested in them as a couple. We're basically going to get inverse episodes where Lainey wants to make a move, but is stopped by Paloma. Yawn.

Agree I like Paloma for CB better than Lainey.  And you're right they have an episode teasing the CB/Lainey romance then just drop it for awhile.  I think the last time this storyline was addressed, it appeared that Lainey had come to some sort of decision.  Then poof, nothing has happened since, there's no clue that it's even on anybody's mind at all. 

It leads you to think that "Oh, I guess Lainey decided to stay with Barry, and the show has just completely dropped the whole CB/Lainey storyline".  But I doubt if we will be that lucky.  And I've been expecting the "inverse" episodes where Lainey pines after CB, but something prevents her from making a move.  Looks like Paloma might be that thing.

If they insist on doing this relationship drama, at least put some sexual/romantic tension in some of their interactions in the meantime, instead of writing all the in between episodes like it doesn't exist.  There doesn't seem to be any thought put into this at all.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, rmontro said:

If they insist on doing this relationship drama, at least put some sexual/romantic tension in some of their interactions in the meantime, instead of writing all the in between episodes like it doesn't exist.  There doesn't seem to be any thought put into this at all.

Exactly!!! I feel like that’s Screenwriting 101 for romance. Especially in the context of the world of the show. The buildup of CB and Lainey’s “romance” is so sloppy and arbitrary. If you’re attracted to a coworker that you have to see and interact with every day, you don’t randomly notice that you might have feelings for them for two or three days out of the month and then forget about it and keep interacting with them like any other coworker. There is zero continuity in either of their revelations. CB is supposedly over Lainey for now, but what about Lainey feeling like she had to make a choice between Barry and CB and then the heavy implication that she was leaning towards CB? What happened to that? I thought we were headed to Lainey pining, but nothing. There’s no progress with them, the writers just bring it up when they need a plot for the week. Every day is Groundhog Day with these two - one episode they are struggling with feelings, and the next episode they are barely acquaintances. There’s no excitement or buildup of tension. 

This season has to be almost over right? Most sitcoms have a formula where they have the primary couple hook up or have some sort of romantic milestone at the end of season two, but assuming they only have two episodes left (or less if COVID shut down production), I have no idea how that’s happening. 

It almost makes you wonder if the episodes are filmed in random order or if no one knows what order they will air in, which feels unlikely. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

It almost makes you wonder if the episodes are filmed in random order or if no one knows what order they will air in, which feels unlikely. 

Yeah, it almost feels like they filmed all the episodes, then threw them all up in the air and randomly picked out which order to show them, because like you say, there's no continuity.

With the depth of these Adam Goldberg shows, they'll probably pay the whole thing off in about 20 seconds.

• Love 1