Type keyword(s) to search

Beyond the Batcave: Batwoman Cast and Crew

Trini
  • Start Topic

Yeah I just read that. It seems like she was very lucky not to have been killed, but as it is her life is changed forever. This is at least the 2nd serious accident in less than one season, I hope they take the hiatus to review safety procedures. 

The crew have set up a GoFundMe page to help with expenses because especially with the shutdowns, it's going to take a while for any official money to come through. 

• Love 1

It's unclear what role and how much of a role she'll play in this, but Javicia Leslie will participate in this variety special:

The CW Network and WIF (Women In Film, Los Angeles) announced today that the network will broadcast WIF's WOMEN IN FILM PRESENTS: MAKE IT WORK! on Wednesday, August 26 (8:00-9:00pm ET/PT). The one-hour variety special, a combination of music, comedy and fun celebrity testimonials, explores the issues and solutions for getting women back to work. The show will air on The CW Network on Wednesday, August 26 (8:00-9:00pm ET) and then move to The CW digital platforms, CWTV.COM and The CW App.

Talent confirmed for the special thus far include Mara Brock Akil, Lake Bell, Alison Brie, Connie Britton, Nkechi Okoro Carroll, Rosario Dawson, Beanie Feldstein, Jane Fonda, Jennifer Garner, Elizabeth Gillies, Kathryn Hahn, Rachael Harris, Cheryl Hines, Sarah Jeffery, Marta Kauffman, Javicia Leslie, Melanie Liburd, Catt Sadler, Andrea Savage, Alexandra Shipp, Rain Valedz, Michaela Watkins, Kym Whitley, Alfre Woodard and others to be announced. The show's executive producers are Stephanie Allain ("Dear White People," the 2020 Academy Awards), Amy Baer ("Last Vegas") and Monica Levinson ("Borat"). The directors are Hannah Levy ("Saturday Night Live") and Adriana Robles ("Saturday Night Live"). The writers are Wendy Button (CNN's "Heroes"), Simbi Hall (Women That Soar Awards) and Mishy Turner ("Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt").

Hire Her Back (HHB) was launched on June 10, 2020 as a call for industry-wide action to rebuild a workforce that hires women and people of color equitably as we recover from the COVID-19 crisis. ...

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2020/08/04/the-cw-network-to-air-women-in-film-presents-make-it-work-a-variety-show-to-benefit-the-wif-hire-her-back-campaign-636215/20200804cw01/

• Useful 1

Reminder that this special, that Javicia is participating in,  is airing tonight and will be on CW's website tomorrow:

On 8/4/2020 at 8:13 PM, Trini said:

The CW Network and WIF (Women In Film, Los Angeles) announced today that the network will broadcast WIF's WOMEN IN FILM PRESENTS: MAKE IT WORK! on Wednesday, August 26 (8:00-9:00pm ET/PT). The one-hour variety special, a combination of music, comedy and fun celebrity testimonials, explores the issues and solutions for getting women back to work. The show will air on The CW Network on Wednesday, August 26 (8:00-9:00pm ET) and then move to The CW digital platforms, CWTV.COM and The CW App.

Interview with Camrus, mostly about the short films he has made: https://www.exit6filmfestival.com/post/batwoman-star-camrus-johnson-grabbing-for-oscar-dream

"Honestly, I don't have a preference. I love them equally. I think animation is harder to break into. It's a very specific world. I think, in a way, you have to prove yourself. If you want to be in this world, what do you have to add to it? It's a very sacred, beautiful space so if you're going to come in here, what do you have to offer? I'm so very glad and blessed that Grab My Hand is my offering, my first push into that world because it shows I'm not just here to make something cute. I'm here to say very real things."

"It's funny because Blue Bison is the exact opposite of Grab My Hand. It's a live action vigilante thriller. It's a whole different vibe. It's a lot darker and grittier. The thing is, I love everything from Batman's Gotham, the dark and creepy streets, to a rich guy in a Bat suit beating up criminals. I like both sides of that world. It's hard for me as an artist to completely focus on just the Batman and not Gotham or just Gotham and not Batman. They both are one and the same. I feel that I need to keep making my dark projects in order to keep influencing my light projects."

(edited)

Interview with Camrus at Inverse, mainly about making his short films: https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/batwoman-season-2-camrus-johnson-grab-my-hand

This is your directorial debut. Talk to me about the process of making the film.

We made [Grab My Hand] in a few months. I felt like [my dad] seeing actors playing him, me and my uncle would feel too real, so we tried to find a very simple way to accomplish that. It was Pedro’s idea to just write a couple of pages of dialogue, narrate it, and he'll animate it with direction from me. We let the emotion drive the project.

Edited by Trini
(edited)

Camrus' short film is now available to view online; here at EW with an interview with Camrus: '... Camrus Johnson's sweet award-winning digital short Grab My Hand'

When I spoke to Javicia for our recent cover, she told me she directed her first two short films over the summer. Have you two bonded over filmmaking?

Literally our first day meeting. Whenever me and Javicia met in person, we grabbed dinner and we had a really beautiful talk, and then we went and we played some games and then we went back to her apartment. Her short films are still in the editing process and she wasn't quite ready to show me hers, but we talked extensively about her directing her projects and how she wants to get more into directing in the future. Since my shorts had been done at the time, we watched both of mine back-to-back.

I know you're interested in filmmaking in general. Have you started looking into trying to direct on Batwoman?

As far as directing, I am getting more into it. There's a lot of animated projects that I can't talk about quite yet that I have in the works. There is a feature that I have in the works that I can't quite talk about yet as well. And directing on Batwoman is definitely something that I want to do in the future. I'm not going to rush because I am still learning and I would love to do directing programs, but I will be shadowing a director this season. And hopefully with Grab My Hand: A Letter to My Dad getting out there and being seen by people, it'll convince CW and Warner Bros. to want to give me a shot early.

Edited by Trini

Camrus has an animated short in the 2021 Tribeca Film Festival:

https://tribecafilm.com/films/she-dreams-at-sunrise-2021

SHE DREAMS AT SUNRISE

Animation

In this heartwarming animated film, an elderly woman escapes her mundane reality through her dreams while her great-nephew helps reconnect her to what she's really missing.

Directed by Camrus Johnson

Camrus Johnson's animated short Grab My Hand: A Letter to My Dad has won awards across the globe and his second short Blue Bison has its world premiere soon. He currently has a feature film and animated series in development with three comic books on the way.

Director
Camrus Johnson

Producer
Moon Jelly Pictures, Double Plus Productions

Screenwriter
Camrus Johnson

Composer
Stefan L. Smith

Editor
Atuanya Priester

Cast
Candice Patton, Azie Tesfai

Camrus' short film, "She Dreams at Sunrise", will air on CBS September 4.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2021/08/27/846-films-to-be-broadcast-saturday-sept-4-on-cbs-974313/20210827cbs02/

8:46 FILMS presented by P&G will broadcast Saturday, Sept. 4 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Originally debuted at the Tribeca Festival, four new 8:46 Films are the latest installment of P&G's Widen The Screen initiative, an effort to improve the portrayal of Black life on screen and expand inclusion efforts for Black creators behind the camera, to challenge expectations and remove limiting stereotypes in film, advertising and media.

8:46 Films is a collaboration with SATURDAY MORNING, a collective of Black creative executives, Tribeca Studios and P&G. Four inspirational stories told in the length of time it took to take George Floyd's life - and accelerate a movement that would change the world. Filmmakers Zoey Martinson, Camrus Johnson, Gibrey Allen and Marshall Tyler were inspired to take 8 minutes and 46 seconds instead to tell stories of joy, love, and resilience, fuel the creativity that has always upheld the Black community in the darkest times, and build a legacy of hope.

"She Dreams at Sunrise," directed by Camrus Johnson and produced by Moon Jelly Pictures and Double Plus Productions. In this heartwarming animated film, a 70-year-old woman with meningitis lives between her dream world and reality while her great-nephew and caretaker help mend the past.

'Camrus Johnson builds a video game-inspired world in sci-fi comic 'Tower' '

Three young people wake up at the bottom of a tower, with no memory of how they got there, who put them there, or perhaps most importantly, what they'll have to do to get out. Armed with nothing but their survival instinct and some very interesting power-ups, these characters will be thrust into a video game-style world in which they'll have to fight there way to the top, but no matter how much they depend on each other, only one can win.

That's the setup that launches Tower, the new comics series from indie publisher A Wave Blue World that marks the creator-owned comics writing debut of Batwoman star Camrus Johnson. Johnson, who plays Luke Fox/Batwing on the hit CW series, has previously contributed superhero stories to anthologies like Batman: Urban Legends and DC Represent!, but with Tower he gets to delve into a sci-fi world of his own design. Working with co-creator and co-writer Kelsey Barnhart, artists ChrisCross and Loyiso Mkize, and colorist Andrew Dalhouse, Johnson was able to pour his lifelong love of video games, which helped drive his love of acting, into an original story.

Camrus collaborates with DC again for Earth Prime #1:

... Each issue will also include bonus material created by cast members of The CW shows, as well as “teasers” that will provide clues to the nature of the final crossover in issue #6

Javicia has a supporting role in this Amazon rom-com:

Jojo T. Gibbs (Fresh, Twenties), Javicia Leslie (Batwoman, God Friended Me), Chido Nwokocha (Tyler Perry’s Sistas, Destroyer), Stephanie Shepherd (Dave) and Michael Roark (Bennett’s War, Driven) have signed on to the Amazon Original film Something from Tiffany’s, based on Melissa Hill’s novel of the same name, from Reese Witherspoon’s Hello Sunshine and Amazon Studios.

They join an ensemble led by Zoey Deutch, which also includes Kendrick Sampson, Ray Nicholson, Shay Mitchell, and Leah Jeffries, as previously announced.

https://deadline.com/2022/02/something-from-tiffanys-adds-javicia-leslie-chido-nwokocha-more-1234927916/