Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06. Under the Knife

• Start Topic

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 3:25 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

It's all hot and moist so there's not much difference. 

And now I'll hop on my escape goat and run away before hearing your reactions to that comment!

giphy.gif 

(!)

• Love 1
On 2/7/2020 at 8:12 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, for someone to be so afraid of the surgery, she sure blew off doctor's orders.  To me that is odd.  That really makes me wonder if she really can control her actions with food.  Because, to me, that's just crazy.  Almost like a death wish.

Her obsession with having a baby sounds sweet, but, I really wonder if she's really given it much thought.  IDK, I just envision her overfeeding the baby or bringing him up on sugary cereal and sodie, as she calls it. 

I did notice that Tammi announced to her mom that she had healthy snack food prepared for their party.  That was nice. 

Something about the way they were dancing at the end....cracked me up.  I found it amusing. 

Amy and Tammi's mother and brother appear to need help with obesity too.  Practically, all of them except for Amy's husband. 

And I notice what the patients call healthy is most times not healthy at all. Just better than piles of takeouts they usually eat.

• Love 1
On 2/11/2020 at 7:12 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Do you think we'll get a season two of this?  lol   The one about the extended family who got surgery with Dr. Proctor, was two seasons, right?

I hope they do.  Once they dropped the farting and burping, I found them to be good snark viewing.  And every once in a while they were even compelling and able to express complex emotions.  

I realize that a lot of reality TV is manufactured, but the people who make it work are the ones who are brave enough/desperate enough/lacking enough self reflection to allow themselves to be "real"

I think it doesn't work when you can tell the person is trying to "control the narrative" by trying to ONLY give production the stuff that puts them in the best possible light. 

These girls don't seem manipulative in that way at all and I think it's why I kinda find them compelling and interesting.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

I have mixed hopes regarding Tammy's prospects for success in weight loss.

On the plus side,  she seems to honesty desire to live with more independence, more with privacy especially.

The fact that she's lonely and looking for a partner is a motivation for her to separate physically from her sister which will foster independence as well. It was encouraging to see her pushing the cart at the grocery store, not riding the motor scooter. Plus, she went alone, without Amy there to cosign/decision making every food selection.

Her apartment was really gorgeous, loved those yellow window treatments especially.

Michael's sister, although fairly obese herself,  is so positive, friendly, and likeable. She walked into that dour little party beaming a wonderful smile like this was going to be a really fun gathering. Her attitude rocks.

Her positively helps me understand Michael a little better. Although he's introverted, he seems unflappable, stays positive, and it seems to come naturally. I would've been blowing my top with 80% of tammy'z ( typo but I'm leaving it lol) drama both at home and during the drive. He also somehow managed to stay out of the sister's bickering. I've literally never encounter a man that even tempered. A few women, but very rarely.

All that said, I don't see Tammy as able to lose enough weight get surgery without being confined to the hospital. Her overeating just goes too far back into her youngest childhood.

However, it seems like I'm frequently wrong about who will and will not succeed when it comes to weight loss. Which I guess means I really don't truly understand the psychology of pathological overeating. Seems the motivation to compulsively overeat varies significantly with each person. 

With Tammy I think she is motivated to lose weight but discouraged, and thinks she can not succeed no matter how much she tries, her efforts will not bear fruit . She believes she's too far gone and that success is outside her grasp at after this many years of super morbid obesity. She definitely needs treatment for depression (medication not just talk therapy).

Amy seems to have better mental and emotional health, plus maturity and I see an easier future for her, and not just because of her weight.  However, I think Tammy is the more intelligent sister intellectually as in I feel she would be a stronger student in school Idk she just strikes me as the 'book smart' type while Amy has the higher 'EQ' by far. Not impugning Amy just making a comparison. Unpopular opinion I'm sure!

Liked this show I think mostly because I find the emotional dynamic between close in age sisters fascinating.  It's frequently a very complex, interesting, deep to the point of codependent, almost quasi marriage dynamic, where both unconditional loyalty and threat betrayal are always lurking in the perimeter of the relationship, as the sisters mature into their own lives. It can be extremely challenging(speaking as someone with an older sis 20 months apart).  I still think about the show Tia and Tamera. That show really got me thinking about how a set of sister's dynamics really get complicated once they leave childhood /young adulthood Even absent spouses and boyfriends, just growing up and 'apart' can cause feelings of loss/betrayal. Spouses and boyfriends really accelerate this and frequently throw even well adjusted sisters relationships into turmoil. I know this is off topic but I still get angry when I think of how Tia treated Tamera at her wedding (her 'babymoon') makes me rage even now. Then, when Tamera called her out over her behavior on the wedding weekend, Tia called her selfish! Sorry, rant over, guess I'm still salty about her audacity what 9 years later?

Sorry for the novel btw this is my very first post😁 hope I didn't screw up by my rambling! 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, mcacc2018 said:

I have mixed hopes regarding Tammy's prospects for success in weight loss.

On the plus side,  she seems to honesty desire to live with more independence, more with privacy especially.

The fact that she's lonely and looking for a partner is a motivation for her to separate physically from her sister which will foster independence as well. It was encouraging to see her pushing the cart at the grocery store, not riding the motor scooter. Plus, she went alone, without Amy there to cosign/decision making every food selection.

Her apartment was really gorgeous, loved those yellow window treatments especially.

Michael's sister, although fairly obese herself,  is so positive, friendly, and likeable. She walked into that dour little party beaming a wonderful smile like this was going to be a really fun gathering. Her attitude rocks.

Her positively helps me understand Michael a little better. Although he's introverted, he seems unflappable, stays positive, and it seems to come naturally. I would've been blowing my top with 80% of tammy'z ( typo but I'm leaving it lol) drama both at home and during the drive. He also somehow managed to stay out of the sister's bickering. I've literally never encounter a man that even tempered. A few women, but very rarely.

All that said, I don't see Tammy as able to lose enough weight get surgery without being confined to the hospital. Her overeating just goes too far back into her youngest childhood.

However, it seems like I'm frequently wrong about who will and will not succeed when it comes to weight loss. Which I guess means I really don't truly understand the psychology of pathological overeating. Seems the motivation to compulsively overeat varies significantly with each person. 

With Tammy I think she is motivated to lose weight but discouraged, and thinks she can not succeed no matter how much she tries, her efforts will not bear fruit . She believes she's too far gone and that success is outside her grasp at after this many years of super morbid obesity. She definitely needs treatment for depression (medication not just talk therapy).

Amy seems to have better mental and emotional health, plus maturity and I see an easier future for her, and not just because of her weight.  However, I think Tammy is the more intelligent sister intellectually as in I feel she would be a stronger student in school Idk she just strikes me as the 'book smart' type while Amy has the higher 'EQ' by far. Not impugning Amy just making a comparison. Unpopular opinion I'm sure!

Liked this show I think mostly because I find the emotional dynamic between close in age sisters fascinating.  It's frequently a very complex, interesting, deep to the point of codependent, almost quasi marriage dynamic, where both unconditional loyalty and threat betrayal are always lurking in the perimeter of the relationship, as the sisters mature into their own lives. It can be extremely challenging(speaking as someone with an older sis 20 months apart).  I still think about the show Tia and Tamera. That show really got me thinking about how a set of sister's dynamics really get complicated once they leave childhood /young adulthood Even absent spouses and boyfriends, just growing up and 'apart' can cause feelings of loss/betrayal. Spouses and boyfriends really accelerate this and frequently throw even well adjusted sisters relationships into turmoil. I know this is off topic but I still get angry when I think of how Tia treated Tamera at her wedding (her 'babymoon') makes me rage even now. Then, when Tamera called her out over her behavior on the wedding weekend, Tia called her selfish! Sorry, rant over, guess I'm still salty about her audacity what 9 years later?

Sorry for the novel btw this is my very first post😁 hope I didn't screw up by my rambling! 

Allo!  I thought your post was great!  

Between all the burping and farting the idea of competing IQs never crossed my mind.  But Tami seems to have knowledge but it seems ignored because she is the "fat" sister.  

I remember that A&E show "heavy" where they would pair two random obese strangers and for the first six months they would be confined to a health spa.  They had to workout, they had low calorie meals prepared, they got therapy and the two participants kinda had a friend and partner in each other.  

They would get nutritional counseling, but it often involved the nutritionist going to the grocery store with them, looking in their refrigerator and maybe teaching them food prep.  

After like six months (weeks?) they would both head home with regular check ins and with a trainer to help them work out. 

It was a much kinder and gentler take on the biggest loser but someone like Tami would have been good for that show.

• Love 6