Type keyword(s) to search

McMillions in the Media: Billions Served, Millions Stolen

• Start Topic

This docu-series premieres on HBO on February 3rd

This documentary series chronicles the stranger-than-fiction story of an ex-cop turned security auditor who rigged the McDonald’s Monopoly game promotion for a decade, stealing millions of dollars and building a vast network of co-conspirators across the U.S. The series draws on exclusive firsthand accounts and archival footage, featuring: the FBI agents who brought down the gaming scam; McDonald’s corporate executives, who were themselves defrauded; the lawyers who tried the case; and the culprits and prizewinners who profited from the complicated scheme, as well as the individuals who were often unwittingly duped into being a part of the ruse.

Here's the trailer

On 2/9/2020 at 8:45 PM, raven said:

I only know of this story because I read this article a couple of years ago.

It gives full details that I'm sure will be covered on the series, so don't read if you don't want to know.

It's incredibly interesting.

Interesting. It includes some things that aren't covered or were oversimplified in the documentary. And it didn't seem to mention Doug Matthews at all. I guess the final episode might cover how Jerry did it, so I will spoiler tag this:

Spoiler

How would something this sensitive be addressed to Jerry by accident? 

Not long afterward, Jacobson opened a package sent to him by mistake from a supplier in Hong Kong. Inside he found a set of the anti-tamper seals for the game-piece envelopes—the only thing he needed to steal game pieces en route to the factory.

• Love 1
On 2/9/2020 at 7:45 PM, raven said:

I only know of this story because I read this article a couple of years ago.

It gives full details that I'm sure will be covered on the series, so don't read if you don't want to know.

It's incredibly interesting.

Thanks for sharing.  This story is amazing.

Reality is stranger than fiction!   This couldn't have been scripted and been even an ounce more interesting.

• Love 2

Darn, the Daily Beast article is now behind a paywall. Although I did notice that the interview with Michael Hoover was in early August 2001. Clearly the documentary is playing a bit fast and loose with the timeline for maximum story potential.