Type keyword(s) to search

Book characters that remind you of an actor that would be perfect for the part

Robert Lynch
  • Start Topic

This is not a future thing but I remember reading About a Boy way back when it was first released and thinking, "This would be a great Hugh Grant film."

And it was!

Normally, though, I try not to picture actors because then, if a film is made and they are not cast, it is a huge disappointment to me.  I was not at all invested in the Robert Langdon novels, but I did find it amusingly jarring to see Tom Hanks play a character that the author repeatedly described as being just like Harrison Ford.

• LOL 2

No one I can think of, but I know when Gone With The Wind came out, everyone was convinced that Margaret Mitchell had based Rhett off of Clark Gable. And sure enough, he was cast.

I also can't read Silence Of The Lambs without seeing Jodie Foster as Starling, though that's likely because I saw the movie first.

• Love 2

No one I can think of, but I know when Gone With The Wind came out, everyone was convinced that Margaret Mitchell had based Rhett off of Clark Gable. And sure enough, he was cast.

And he was reluctant to play the role because it was so iconic, he worried he would let people down.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Camille said:

No one I can think of, but I know when Gone With The Wind came out, everyone was convinced that Margaret Mitchell had based Rhett off of Clark Gable. And sure enough, he was cast. 

I thought Mrs. Mitchell said she wanted GROUCHO MARX for the part (no joke)!  If Lucille Ball (his   costar in Room Service[1938]) had won the part of Scarlett can anyone imagine the movie not winding up as a top contender on Mystery Science Theater 3000 -along with Gamera and Robot Monster?

• LOL 3
On 11/1/2019 at 1:03 AM, OtterMommy said:

This is not a future thing but I remember reading About a Boy way back when it was first released and thinking, "This would be a great Hugh Grant film."

And it was!

Normally, though, I try not to picture actors because then, if a film is made and they are not cast, it is a huge disappointment to me.  I was not at all invested in the Robert Langdon novels, but I did find it amusingly jarring to see Tom Hanks play a character that the author repeatedly described as being just like Harrison Ford.

Reminds me as to when Anne Rice in the 90s was against the casting of Tom Cruise as Lestat. She imagined Rutger Hauer as Lestat and there is an amusing hint in Queen of the Damned mentioning Blade Runner when Armand watches a specific scene, hence mentioning the similarity itself. As for Armand, I saw an YouTube comment that Anne does not want to cast a 17 year old because she fears they age fast if her VC series continues next year or so. I think the description of Armand is interesting. I was thinking Finn Wolfhard, Evan Peters, or Timothee Chamalet. I am not sure what is going on with her series, though. In the 90s, I thought Lestat could be played by River Phoenix and Armand played by Lukas Haas. I always had trouble with Louis's description. He made think he was Johnny Depp.

In the 90s, I thought Lestat could be played by River Phoenix and Armand played by Lukas Haas. I always had trouble with Louis's description. He made think he was Johnny Depp.

Back then I wanted Johnny Depp for Louis and Val Kilmer for Lestat. He had just done The Doors and he had the right kind of swagger.

• Love 2
(edited)

I read Rebecca in the 90s and she reminded me of Catherine Zeta Jones when reading her charter in the book. I didn't know Joan Fontaine and Laurence Olivier portrayed those characters first.

Edited by Robert Lynch
On 11/3/2019 at 3:13 PM, Robert Lynch said:

I read Rebecca in the 90s and she reminded me of Catherine Zeta Jones when reading her charter in the book. I didn't know Joan Fontaine and Laurence Olivier portrayed those characters first.

Yes, i can see Rebecca herself reminding one of Zeta Jones but she is never seen.

Edited by peacheslatour
On 11/1/2019 at 1:03 AM, OtterMommy said:

And it was!

I think Robert Langdon was disappointed that it wasn't Harrison Ford. I remember there was a lot of complaints on Tom Hanks being the main character for the DaVinci series.

On 11/2/2019 at 2:42 PM, peacheslatour said:

And he was reluctant to play the role because it was so iconic, he worried he would let people down.

According to The Scarlett Letters (a collection of Mitchell's letters throughout the period of the production & release of the movie), there was a brief time where they thought he was out because MGM was asking too much to release him, and there was also a certain amount of backlash against his being cast as a Southerner (some articles are quoted), but there was never any real controversy or doubt the way there was over the role of Scarlett.  Mitchell herself always flatly refused to express any opinion whatsoever on the casting of any of her characters, and, to be fair, I really don't get the impression she had any actors or actresses in mind when she was writing. Wild horses wouldn't have dragged that information from her, in any case - she made that perfectly clear.

• Useful 1

And it was kind like that Tom Cruise as Lestat in Interview With The Vampire with Anne Rice because of his height and all that. I think after all was said and done, she praised him. Never saw the Broadway version of Lestat(heard that was terrible). I seen both films, though. Including the strange Rosie O'Donell film, which is another Anne Rice book, too. Though I know she has set on the VC trilogy for the series for Hulu, I wish she went to The Witching Hour instead. I have so many cast thoughts on that book.

Edited by Robert Lynch