Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
AnimeMania

Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal

Didn’t know there was a thread.

What can be said that hasn’t been said? It’s Genndy, there’s a high degree of difficulty, but he clears it with Spear and Fang.

• Like 1

Heads up: the series will be airing on Saturday nights at 3 a.m. following the Toonami block. Check it out if you missed it the first time.

All Points Bulletin: I think this year's April Fool's thing from Adult Swim is at least one new episode. It's on right now.

Weren't they dying or dead at the end? Maybe this will be like the original Aeon Flux, where she died in every episode.

Edited to add: Wins 3 Emmys!

• Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal, “Spear and Fang,” Adult Swim; Cartoon Network Studios - Genndy Tartakovsky, Storyboard Artist
  • Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal, “Spear and Fang,” Adult Swim; Cartoon Network Studios -Scott Wills, Art Director
  • Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal, “A Cold Death,” Adult Swim; Cartoon Network Studios - Stephen DeStefano, Character Designer

Edited by Vermicious Knid · Reason: Awards

Anyone catch the latest episode? Basically, it was all about Spear trying to travel with Fang after she falls ill. Lots of cool and funny moments, including Spear's "I have a clever plan" smug smile. Also, he uses spiky insects as the prehistoric equivalent of brass knuckles, and he goes to town on an endless clan* of hyenas.

*Apparently, that's what a group of hyenas is called. Who knew?

Hell of an episode. Lots of horror mixed with action and comedy. Someone suggested this episode was aired out of order on April 1 because it dealt with a plague. I can believe it.

• Like 1

Anyone catch the latest episode. We got witches and magic and painful flashbacks. Also, the realization that a heavy metal album cover can break out without warning. Like the lady riding the pterodactyl, for instance.

I'll have to stop complaining about humans and dinosaurs co-existing because clearly, this is not our Earth. Also they have been airing out of order, or production order because the last episode was 9 and the one coming up is 7.

Zombie diplodocus!

1 hour ago, edhopper said:

What the hell was that thing?

His name is Spear. Yes, he looks like an unholy cross between Conan the Barbarian and Barney Rubble, but he's cool.

Seriously, though, I'll probably watch the episode tomorrow. I just couldn't resist. Also, the running with the arms going from side to side? I think maybe Spear would look better running Naruto-style. 😛

Edited by Lantern7

More Genndy! HBO Max and Cartoon Network have greenlit Tartakovsky’s Unicorn: Warriors Eternal, a supernatural animated series inspired by myths and lore from across the globe. Not quite sure about this part of the description though:

The new series follows a team of ancient heroes as they work together to protect the world from an unforeseen and ominous force. The heroes, who are originally unicorns, find themselves in the bodies of teenagers after a rude awakening that leaves their memories forgotten and powers weakened.

He's tried teenagers before and it only lasted 13 episodes.

Anyone here watch the finale? Spear and Fang meet a lady named Mira. She can speak in long sentences, spice up meals, and can fire a bow. Also, she knows what a bow is. She seems to have escaped from slavery, but she's re-captured by the end of the episode. My guess is that our favorite Conan and Devil Dinosaur will be questing for her next season.

Once again, Spear and Fang are the perfect duo. It's all about mutual respect, and it shows in battle and in peace.

On 10/26/2020 at 9:49 PM, edhopper said:

What the hell was that thing?

Okay, for real: in the world of Primal, I'm guessing it's the local version of a Predator, able to sneak up on prey and decimate it despite any and all protective measures. A herd of Triceratops form a defensive half-circle and stomp dirt? That wasn't enough. If Spear hadn't found out about the weakness to fire, he and Fang would have been mere statistics in that primitive world.

Edited by Lantern7

There had better be a second season after that.

The problem with knowing so much prehistory and ancient history, and human evolution, is I can't turn off my brain screaming "Wrong!" whenever they do something that doesn't match up.

Outstanding Animated Program nomination:

Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal • Plague Of Madness • Adult Swim • Cartoon Network Studios

Rumor: Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal has a second season currently in development. 

Emmy for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation was awarded to Genndy Tartakovsky’s Primal (David Krentz, storyboard artist).