Type keyword(s) to search

Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Weren't they dying or dead at the end? Maybe this will be like the original Aeon Flux, where she died in every episode.

Edited to add: Wins 3 Emmys!

• Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal, “Spear and Fang,” Adult Swim; Cartoon Network Studios - Genndy Tartakovsky, Storyboard Artist
  • Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal, “Spear and Fang,” Adult Swim; Cartoon Network Studios -Scott Wills, Art Director
  • Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal, “A Cold Death,” Adult Swim; Cartoon Network Studios - Stephen DeStefano, Character Designer

Edited by Vermicious Knid
Awards

Anyone catch the latest episode? Basically, it was all about Spear trying to travel with Fang after she falls ill. Lots of cool and funny moments, including Spear's "I have a clever plan" smug smile. Also, he uses spiky insects as the prehistoric equivalent of brass knuckles, and he goes to town on an endless clan* of hyenas.

*Apparently, that's what a group of hyenas is called. Who knew?

Anyone catch the latest episode. We got witches and magic and painful flashbacks. Also, the realization that a heavy metal album cover can break out without warning. Like the lady riding the pterodactyl, for instance.

1 hour ago, edhopper said:

What the hell was that thing?

His name is Spear. Yes, he looks like an unholy cross between Conan the Barbarian and Barney Rubble, but he's cool.

Seriously, though, I'll probably watch the episode tomorrow. I just couldn't resist. Also, the running with the arms going from side to side? I think maybe Spear would look better running Naruto-style. 😛

Edited by Lantern7

More Genndy! HBO Max and Cartoon Network have greenlit Tartakovsky’s Unicorn: Warriors Eternal, a supernatural animated series inspired by myths and lore from across the globe. Not quite sure about this part of the description though:

The new series follows a team of ancient heroes as they work together to protect the world from an unforeseen and ominous force. The heroes, who are originally unicorns, find themselves in the bodies of teenagers after a rude awakening that leaves their memories forgotten and powers weakened.

He's tried teenagers before and it only lasted 13 episodes.

Anyone here watch the finale? Spear and Fang meet a lady named Mira. She can speak in long sentences, spice up meals, and can fire a bow. Also, she knows what a bow is. She seems to have escaped from slavery, but she's re-captured by the end of the episode. My guess is that our favorite Conan and Devil Dinosaur will be questing for her next season.

Once again, Spear and Fang are the perfect duo. It's all about mutual respect, and it shows in battle and in peace.

On 10/26/2020 at 9:49 PM, edhopper said:

What the hell was that thing?

Okay, for real: in the world of Primal, I'm guessing it's the local version of a Predator, able to sneak up on prey and decimate it despite any and all protective measures. A herd of Triceratops form a defensive half-circle and stomp dirt? That wasn't enough. If Spear hadn't found out about the weakness to fire, he and Fang would have been mere statistics in that primitive world.

Edited by Lantern7

Not much to go on, storyline-wise . . . except "Everything That Would Look Awesome Painted On The Side Of a Van."

Also: Satan, apparently.  Spear will have to learn more than archery to take that challenge.

S02.E01: Sea of Despair

Spear and Fang venture into the unknown to rescue Mira from her captors.

Original Airdate: July 21, 2022           Midnight    Adult Swim

S02.E02: Shadow of Fate

Spear and Fang get separated in a strange new land.

Original Airdate: July 21, 2022             12:30    Adult Swim    

First two episodes: more poignancy, more action, more funny moments. Yeah, Fang made a new friend and chomped on a human . . . a human who was part of a village where Spear got washed up after the first episode. Yeah, there's a lot of fun and action, but I'm still thinking this season will break hearts.

As always, Spear is a clever caveman. He can't manage to swim out to save Mira? He makes an impressive raft, and he and Fang went out for the rescue. They didn't think of bringing food for the trip, but that worked out. Spear tried to choke out a giant turtle, Fang bit its head off, and they wound up eating good that night. Raw turtle meat probably wasn't a good idea, but then Spear made a sun-blocker out of the shell.

Beautiful stuff, and we got another guy in the sound booth playing the chieftain of the vaguely Scottish tribe that Spear befriended.

Watching the first episode I was reminded of The Red Turtle's protagonist's doomed raft building. And then there's a red turtle. I guess Genndy is a fan. I can't believe all the blood didn't attract sharks. Especially since we see a few minutes later we see they do exist here.

Second episode, now we have Celts. Also a really cute marmoset, protosimian thing that I'm shocked wasn't immediately eaten. Aww, they've both learned to share. Poor Fang, trying to stop her human and her mate(?) from killing each other, then accidentally killing the dino. Did months go by? They're eating ripe fruit, and then leaves are falling.

Man, those two episodes were brutal, but incredibly beautiful.

I was absolutely terrified at the whole sequence with the Megalodon.

21 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

As always, Spear is a clever caveman. He can't manage to swim out to save Mira? He makes an impressive raft, and he and Fang went out for the rescue. They didn't think of bringing food for the trip, but that worked out.

They also didn't bring fresh water.

17 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Second episode, now we have Celts. Also a really cute marmoset, protosimian thing that I'm shocked wasn't immediately eaten. Aww, they've both learned to share. Poor Fang, trying to stop her human and her mate(?) from killing each other, then accidentally killing the dino. Did months go by? They're eating ripe fruit, and then leaves are falling.

I absolutely loved that sequence, and Fang being the one to (accidentally) kill Red broke my heart. They totally mated and Fang's gonna have his babies if the symbolism at the end of the episode with the birds meant anything at all.

“Watching the latest episode at the library, and I think Spear found Mira. I wonder . . . could she be understood if I turned on closed-captioning? Let’s give it a go.”

”[speaking native language]”

”Worth a shot.”

First half of the episode: Spear and Fang find a cave, the big guy discovers cave paintings, and he imagines those happening during the day.

Second half: MOTHERLOVIN’ VIKING DUDES RIDING UPON BEARS. SPEAR TAKES A SWORD FROM A WARRIOR AFTER FANG EATS HIM. I wasn’t kidding about how any scene can be epically Metal. Spear finds the mark of the people who took Mira, coming across a shack of what appear to be slaves. And maybe Mira. Her name came up in the credits, so either that’s her or “Mira” is a common name or phrase with her people.

S02.E04: The Red Mist 
FY7eYjOWQAA7Mc1?format=jpg&name=large

Spear and Fang fight to save Mira from the warrior clan that enslaved her.
Spear and Fang are severely outnumbered in their stand against the Vikings.

Original Airdate: August 4, 2022      Midnight       Adult Swim

“Wow, that really got out of hand.” “Yeah, it really jumped up a notch!”

Spear and Fang take on marauding Vikings in order to save Mira and her fellow slaves. And then the entire village got in on the fight. Our heroes managed to get away on ship (implied), but they had to take out a lot of people to escape. Also, Spear killed a kid. In his defense, he was trying extra hard not to hurt any youngsters, but one jumped him and try to scratch out his eyes, so Spear tossed him, and the kid got his neck broke.

All that? Act One. Act Two has a Viking male and female* coming back from what I’m guessing was a slave hunting trip, only to find the carnage Spear and Fang left behind. They deal with their losses, setting their loved ones off and turning that ship into a pyre, freeing the slaves, and setting the village ablaze before setting off . . . presumably to kill Barney and Dino.

*There’s a voice credit for “Mika,” so I’m assuming the big guy’s companion was a woman, as opposed to being the guy’s son. With the hair, it’s really hard to tell. And I’m assuming they’re unrelated because they’d be symmetrical with Spear and Fang and their losses.

No teaser for next week. The bump said Genndy wasn’t allowing it.

Well I can see why he didn't want this leaking, although it was clear where it was going after the first minute. Darwin, of course, was not the first to come up with the theory of evolution or even natural selection as the engine of change. But he is the one everyone knows about.

9 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Well I can see why he didn't want this leaking,

Thanks for that. It was enough to avert my eyes, lest I get spoiled as to why Genndy withheld any sort of teaser for this episode. And I hope if anyone reading this doesn’t want to be spoiled, then this stuff that I’m writing is enough to fill the preview space.

Why is it that I could predict most of the story beats, and yet I still enjoyed this episode? Doesn’t explain the plethora of ancient stuff that shouldn’t be coexisting . . . but a deranged inmate terrorizing a bunch of English eggheads with zero trope savvy? Awesome. Except for “AND THAT YOU HAVE IT!!!” at the very end. That was weird . . . though if there was a reason for that, we’ll find out in due time.

Never a Jonathan Joestar when you really need one. Even Speedwagon would have sufficed in that situation.

Okay...Egyptians on tap for next week.

How did the ocean become a river? Going downstream? And sure, just throw in riding giant vultures.

So this may come off as callous, but I have zero sympathy for the Vikings. They decimated who knows how many villages then enslaved the survivors. This was pure karma.

Spear might be the baddest mofo in that brutal world. He might also be the biggest goof in that brutal world. Given that Spear and Fang’s eggydaddy tried to kill each other, he was so happy about Fang being a mommy.

Question: where did the other slaves go? I don’t think they were put into that vulnerable a position after the carnage in the village. Mira wouldn’t have let that happen. And damn, she kicked some ass.

5 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

So this may come off as callous, but I have zero sympathy for the Vikings. They decimated who knows how many villages then enslaved the survivors. This was pure karma.

Yeah. It’ll probably be revealed that they were kept on the low level of the chain and that they grabbed people to enslave in order to guarantee their own survival . . . but yeah, fuck Pappy Viking. Dude took the fall from the Vulture-dactyl like a boss, though.

ETA: "Loathsome of the Hill People"?

Edited by Lantern7