Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E06: The Blind Auditions, Part 6

• Start Topic

Airs October 8, 2019

Coaches Kelly Clarkson, Gwen Stefani, John Legend and Blake Shelton vie to discover and coach the next singing phenomenon on the sixth night of blind auditions.

To Help keep track (since the show is doing us no favors this season), here are the teams as they stand right now after six audition episodes. This weeks additions have been both bolded and italicized. If they made zero impression, they got the dreaded Question Mark:

Team Blake

Cali Jones-lesbian, kickboxing country hopeful

Corey Jackson-deep voiced, country singer w/ a little Musical Theatre vibe mixed in

Elliemae-Young folk country singer from Idaho. Desperately does not want to work on her family's dairy farm. Seems to think being a singer is the only other option...

Joana Martinez-Cue a million, "I can't believe your only 15's!". Smoky voiced, Miami teen probably made a shrewd decision joining Team Blake

Jordan Chase-19 year old, long haired southern soul singer displaced by Hurricane Katrina

Josie Jones-traditional country teen from small town Alabama. Likes fishing, not particularly good at it

Kat Hammock-wispy voiced teen in the Dia Frampton lane. Got Team Blake's only pair of misspelled Waders

Marina Chello-once upon time P Diddy, Bad Boy Entertainment signee that went nowhere. Hoping for a musical comeback

Ricky Braddy-Once upon a time American Idol contestant, Recently out of the closet thanks to a supportive BF

Ricky Duran-Has the sob story double with father's suicide and mother's death from illness. Impressive schnoz in profile, solid (but not spectacular IMO) singer who also shrewdly (or stupidly...time will tell) picked Blake

Zach Bridges-Blake wannabe, did Ol' Red to coerce a turn. We probably need one more VA Hospital X-Ray Technician more than we need one more mediocre country singer in Nashville

Team Gwen

Brennen Henson-21 year old who auditioned partially to give his hometown of Flint, Michigan some positivity. Indie/Alternative sounds seems a good fit with Gwen

Calvin Lockett-smooth singing R&B artist, struggled between his Gospel background and singing secular music before auditioning for the Voice

Elize Azkoul-?

Jake Haldenvang-long haired rocker

James Violet-Introverted singer-songwriter from Utah, gave busking a go for a couple of years in LA but it ended badly

Jessie Lawrence-31 year old who grew up in the foster system got a last second(ish) and probably undeserved turn from Gwen

Kiara Brown-indie, singer-songwriter-y artist from Las Vegas. Put a chill twist on Tom Petty's Free Fallin

Kyndal Inskeep-?

Myracle Holloway-At 44, I think our oldest competitor. Battled back from substance abuse issues to give the Voice a shot

Rose Short-couldn't get John Legend to turn on his own song, did get a turn from Gwen though

Royce Lovett-Reggae/R&B fusion artist seemed tailor-made for Team Gwen from the first few notes..

Team John

Dane & Stephanie-twin harmony act w/ Dane having already transitioned from Dana

Destiny Rayne-Yet another auditioner from Florida this season, solid but might get lost in the shuffle on a very strong Team John

Jared Herzog-Total fodder for Team John w/ a hot girlfriend and a very tenuous connection to former Voice winner Jordan Smith.

Katie Kadan-

Khalea Lynee-Another Florida person. This time from St. Petersburg. After marrying and having two daughters young, a 2014 divorce has finally allowed this pro to get back into the music game. A strong, strong contender on Team John

Marybeth Byrd-4 chair turn (w/ a Blake being blocked by Kelly), pretty spot on rendition of Angel of Montgomery

Matthew New-Starting a family at 18 postponed dreams of a music career until recently. Adorable sons and wife helped him make the John Legend decision

Max Boyle-Who?

Mendeleyev-true hippie spawn (with like 10 middle names to prove it), very interesting voice with serious control over his low register

Preston Howell-14 year old crooner (Isn't there always?) from Miami

Will Breman-Who?

Team Kelly

Alex Guthrie-one of the plethora of WGWG's this season. From what I recall, felt freeflowing and loose...like a jam band singer

Brennan Lassiter-on first glance, a pretty country princess. But her voice has some edge and weight to it.

Brooke Stephenson-This season's Lauren Duski. Mature beyond her years, not flashy but someone who could be around for a while

Damali-Military high school kid has to be one of the 2 or 3 most least deserving turns of the season. Thanks, Kelly.

Hello Sunday-27 year old (combined) duo, a little bit of all over the place manic energy. If it could be harnessed, they might be factor on Kelly's team

Injoy Fountain- commanding take on an Ariana Grande song. Kelly wanted her from note 1

Jake Hoot-rare country artist Blake did not turn for. Was his team full at that point? Or more a verdict on Jake's somewhat pinched, higher voice than a guy of his size might be expected to have

Laura Hall-7th time auditioning was a charm for this former college soccer player and daughter of Honduran immigrants

Melinda Rodriguez-trained jazz singer from Miami

Shane Q-visually a reminder of the late stand-up comic Ralphie May (r.i.p.). Definitely had a voice than could straddle a few diffferent genres and types of songs.

Steve Knill-37 year old from San Francisco with runs and affectations to Mt. Everest and back. Only Kelly turns, and even she wants him start dialing things back (before battle practices have even begun lol)

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

To Help keep track (since the show is doing us no favors this season), here are the teams as they stand right now after six audition episodes.

Thank you PhD-Purgatory15 :-)

If I counted correctly the teams all have 11 members, so each coach only needs 1 to fill their team?

I don't know why the show doesn't give us this information.

• Love 1

foxfreakinmulder, you are correct. We only have 4 chair turner's left to see. At least w/ this format, we didn't have a single true "montage'd" contestant. Some got more screentime than others, but nobody got the dreaded 3 second..."and Blake added so and so to his team later in the proceedings".

Just one other thought really from this week, Monty Montanaro (and Clayton Cowell, the tattoo artist from the previous night) really got shafted that Adam was not a part of this season, because all other things being equal...they 100% percent would've both made his team. We've had so little of what could pass for Rock this year, Monty doing the Black Crows would've been a no-brainer. And I think Adam, even more than John really gravitates to Urban singers who are trying to sound as current as possible. Which Clayton was trying to do to some level of success.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

foxfreakinmulder, you are correct. We only have 4 chair turner's left to see. At least w/ this format, we didn't have a single true "montage'd" contestant. Some got more screentime than others, but nobody got the dreaded 3 second..."and Blake added so and so to his team later in the proceedings".

Just one other thought really from this week, Monty Montanaro (and Clayton Cowell, the tattoo artist from the previous night) really got shafted that Adam was not a part of this season, because all other things being equal...they 100% percent would've both made his team. We've had so little of what could pass for Rock this year, Monty doing the Black Crows would've been a no-brainer. And I think Adam, even more than John really gravitates to Urban singers who are trying to sound as current as possible. Which Clayton was trying to do to some level of success.

Thank you so much for your recap.  All the blinds tend to blur together for me (after all, we end up with 48 people) so anything that helps us actually get to know the contestants AS SINGERS really helps (like most of you, I don't care about their backstories). 

Rather than the stupid battles and "steals" I would really like it if each coach simply had all their contestants sing and picked the top eight.  It is really hard to pick a song that perfectly suits 2 people so these "battles" really do tend to favor one singer over the other.  As an added bonus, you'd hear each person getting individual feedback from the mentors.  I sometimes think they are a bit hampered because it's hard for them to give equal critique if a song is so obviously more suited to one contestant.

• Love 2

Wouldn't it be funny if Gwen were to bring in Adam as a guest mentor?   

No surprise that Gwen won't be there for spring......I like Nick Jonas as a choice and it keeps the show fresh to have new faces in the chairs.   Because there's really nothing else that keeps it fresh.

2 hours ago, Sounder said:

Wouldn't it be funny if Gwen were to bring in Adam as a guest mentor?   

Or better yet, Blake lol.

Their hasn't been 1 singer that has stood out above the rest for me these blinds. Maybe during the battles, which I'm not a big of. I'd prefer it if the singer sang alone and picked the song, but I know the battles are a way to cut the teams down.

A lot of people from Florida this season.

I know it won't happen but I want to coaches to stop singer and talking while the person is on stage singing.

• Love 2