Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E34: My Hero

Becky's online gaming transitions into online dating, but one guy is not who he claims to be. Elsewhere, Drew experiences a series of setbacks.

- So... Hunter's going to end up killing someone four seasons from now, right? That was intense. If I recall correctly, he was a bit on the timid side when he came in with breakfast for Zoe back in "Unbelievable" so I was really surprised to see such a huge reaction. I hope we get more insight into his life. I'd actually kind of hoped Becky might pursue something with him mainly because Miles was flipping out over his little sister dating someone a year older... how about your little brother dating someone three years older?

I was expecting Becky's family to want her to support her brother at the trial (although it's probably been documented that Becky turned him in, so how could she flip the script like that?) but I was surprised that Mrs. Baker said Luke had done nothing wrong. Are you kidding me? I guess I shouldn't be surprised... look at how Luke turned out, look at how they treat Becky. Terrible people. I hope she does the right thing and that the Bhandari's are still taking house guests.

- I wasn't a fan of this Drew dun goofed and has to grovel to everyone. His meeting with Mr. Hollingsworth came off like he was going to extort him for some serious stuff but it was just contacts and a letter of recommendation... well, alright. He's right, though, being fired because Mr. Hollingsworth is cheating on his wife but is pissed because his wife tried to do the same... be angry at your wife, not the poor schmuck who got caught in the middle of it.

And I really hated the scene with Clare and Drew. She'd been acting like a hysterical brat, refusing to have an actual conversation with him (which likely would have led to the resolution they came to in this episode), and he's the one who has to apologize? And she has to "get there" re: not hating his guts anymore. Ridiculous. Had Clare dialed it down 26 notches, they could have had a ten minute conversation about this three episodes and been done with the damn thing.

- Glad to finally find out why Zig was kicked out. It was actually kind of precious, how nervous he was. Seems he's really on the up and up now. Where's Tiny working? How's his progress?

• Love 1
(edited)
And I really hated the scene with Clare and Drew. She'd been acting like a hysterical brat, refusing to have an actual conversation with him (which likely would have led to the resolution they came to in this episode), and he's the one who has to apologize? And she has to "get there" re: not hating his guts anymore. Ridiculous. Had Clare dialed it down 26 notches, they could have had a ten minute conversation about this three episodes and been done with the damn thing. 

Yes. Where the hell was Clair's apology to Drew?? For being a straight up bitch.  And I never again need to hear about Eli and Clair's "epic" love. So fucking epic she broke up with him via voicemail and 2 seconds later, shacks up with Drew. I can't wait for Clair to graduate.

Becky's parents are assholes.  Luke didn't do anything? Right. It's not like there's evidence, except for, you know, that pesky video, that clearly shows him doing the things he's accused of.  Asswipes.

Edited by luckyroll3

A-Plot: The weakest out of the plots. What's a freakin' mayoral candidate doing meeting teens at The Dot? Mess.

It was mainly fluff. Don't really know what else to say. Drew didn't quite get what he wanted but it worked out. He and Clare had a good scene (CLEW!!!) and there was more of my favorite male friendship here. I kinda wish Dallas played more of a part though.

B-Plot: The best one out of them all, though I tire of the usual gamer stereotype. You know Becky, you can still play Realm of Doom just don't end up like Hunter. Ugh. I did like what I saw from Hunter though, it does look like he's also aware of his hot mess rich white family's dysfunction and uses RoD as an escape. I hope the kid makes main cast next year. I was happy when Becky finally confronted her mother, but wasn't surprised with her mom's request. She pretty much knows that her son did it (which is why she's goading Becky to lie about it), but at the same time I can see her perspective and not wanting her family to fall apart. I'm pretty sure 90% of mothers would just go on and on about the girl being a slut even if they pretty much knew their son did it.

C-Plot: It would've been better if the feds were lying in wait to arrest Mrs. Novak at the end. But I still liked it, Ricardo did a lot better here. And I want to see more of that head chef, she was no-nonsense but also understanding.

I'm pretty sure 90% of mothers would just go on and on about the girl being a slut even if they pretty much knew their son did it.

I keep wondering how Drew's mother would handle it, and I can't help but think she would force Drew to take accountability for his actions (at the same time trying to make sure he got community service rather than jail time). I'd like Becky to somehow talk with someone like that, a mother who would be disappointed in her son, rather than trying to cover for him. 

It definitely makes for better television having Becky's parents on Luke's side, but I hope Becky is okay after this. She's been through a lot since her first appearance, and I think all of it has made her a more compelling character. 

Do I believe that Becky would have been able to go to school early and play that game by connecting to the Degrassi wifi? Mmm... not really. But I do like the Imogen/Becky friendship. I wish Imogen would have something to do though. They've definitely sidelined her. Does the actress have other projects?

Wait... why didn't Drew apply to college? He thought he was going to be working in the mayor's office... before Hollingsworth even got elected? How was his mom OK with that?

Kind of in love with Imogen's hipster look this episode.

I like Zig working in the kitchen. The chef is a good actress. I think she played the therapist on Being Erica. The scene with his mom was also nice. The adults can really ground the show with their, you know, acting ability.

"You said you went to Degrassi and you talk about Jesus a lot so I put two and two together." Oh my God. I think that was the funniest line of the episode. I love it when my soaps become self aware.

Hunter is a cutie. I don't know how much more we'll hear from him but I like that they're trying to establish characters for the future. Though he looks more like Zig's brother than Miles' brother. Count me in for the people who are tired of the gamer stereotype. They sort of tried to go past creepy dude and throw in some terminology but if they wanted to make him as bad as some of the guys online, they failed.

Drew apologizing to Dallas was adorable. Drew apologizing to Claire was terrible and unnecessary.

I interpreted the scene with Becky and her mom as her mom being in denial vs. thinking that what Luke did wasn't wrong.